Terms in accompanying documents to conform to IEC 60601-1-11

M

mr.mike

Hi Everyone,

Planning a draft of the instructions for use for a ME equipment used in the home.

As such, we'd like to comply with the home healthcare standard IEC 60601-1-11.

Having some difficulty. In particular, with the following requirement:
"...usability of identification, marking and accompanying documents...shall be evaluated based on an operator profile that includes a maximum of eight years education." (underline added)

Anyone have any experience as to how this is evaluated in practice?
Presumably there are exceptions, namely with regards to technical specifications and contraindications?

The contraindications, in particular, list a bunch of conditions that most people, let alone with a "maximum of eight years education" would recognize.
...but the contraindications must be stated. No way around that....

Any input?
Thanks,
MM.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Terms in accompanying documents to comform to IEC 60601-1-11

Hi Mike,

I don't have direct experience but.. 8 years education suggests a child aged 12 or 13. Searching wikipedia for 'Readability Test' gives lots of examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readability_test

And, if I remember correctly, there is a test included in the tools of MS Office.

For the contraindications - I suspect that many can be 'de-jargoned'. But, can you divide the contraindications into ones that would apply at home and ones that would only happen in a clinical environment? There is little need to warn a home user about MRI risks or electro-surgery risks.

M

mr.mike

Yes, the standard itself has a bunch of suggestions for software tools to gauge and index readability.

My concern is how to conform to "eight years of education", when some of the content will definitely throw the aforementioned software off the scale..

For example: "sclerosis" - I guess you could say "hardening of tissue", but in terms of stating contraindications, it'd be a bad idea to deviate from specific conditions...

Even a word like "rehabilitation" throws those gauges off as they look for not only words per sentence, but syllables per word...

So the issue remains: these are medical devices, with labeling requirements that often can't be expressed at a grade-eight level.
Sure, we'll do all we can to make the "meat" of the operating instructions as accessible as possible, but as far as the entire document being understood by a 12-year-old...that's a bit much to ask...

M

mr.mike

I guess, the bottom-line question is this:

Is it permissible to:

1) Write the actual "operating" (e.g. setup, use, maintenance..etc.) instructions at a "lay person" (max eighth-grade) level, and

2) Have everything else in the accompanying documents (contraindications, warnings, technical description...etc.) deviate from the above as necessary,

...and still comply with IEC 60601-1-11?

Anyone have any experience getting their accompanying documents examined for IEC 60601-1-11 compliance?

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator

I think this is one of these classic cases where real risk management is useful (rather than the one line approach encouraged by ISO 14971).

Realistically, many warnings (including contraindications) are there as a kind of legal firewall, and careful analysis will find other reasons why the warning itself is not really important. But there are also times when careful analysis shows that the warning is really important.

With each contraindication, you would need about a page or so summarizing research on the issue, such as probability of the condition existing, the effects if the device is used anyway, and if this analysis shows the contraindication is really important, discussion on effective methods to warn the patient.

For example, a home use NIBP monitor might have warning that the measurements may not be accurate for patients with sclerosis. Good risk management will quantify the extent of inaccuracy, the proportion of patients (users) with sclerosis, the effects of inaccurate measurement. Having quantified these issues you can then proceed discuss whether a simple contraindication would be effective in controlling this risk. If not, you would have to start thinking about other methods, or describe why the residual risk (use against indication) is acceptable.

These are things which cannot be covered in a single line in the risk management table.

M

mr.mike

Thanks for the reply Peter. I agree.

...but my inquiry has really to do with the language in the accompanying product documents (e.g. User Manual), not with risk management.

cheers!

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator

Yes, I understand, the basic point here is, is it justified to ignore the requirements in IEC 60601-1-11. I think the answer will come from a reasonable analysis of the individual contraindication (probably using the words "risk management" was a mistake on my part).

In other words, we cannot answer in general, it will depend on the particular situation.

In the background though, it is likely that this will not be the only point where -1-11 requirements will conflict. There are many IFU requirements in the general standard which would be difficult to handle with 8 yo reading level. So it is clear that at some point something has to give in terms of literal compliance with standards. There are also some other questionable requirements in -1-11. It is a new standard, so probably we will see these issues bubble up to the committee level eventually.

Upshot is, don't be afraid to be a little bit flexible with standards (especially in cases like this), but just be sure of your rationale before proceeding, and document it as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forum Administrator Terms & Conditions of Use Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
O Problem in Minitab - ERROR * Factor Voltage is highly correlated with other terms Using Minitab Software 10
John C. Abnet Terms- Different Items in a system ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J MEDDEV 2.12/1's new MIR & IMDRF terms & codes (IMDRF Annex) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Proper terms for describing Hardness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Measurement Terms - How do I say this in Inches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Regulatory requirements for secondary packages in terms of label content Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
L Definition Mini Builds - Quality Assurance Terms and Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Is it recommended to use the new terms in ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T When T&C's (Terms and Conditions) conflict with the ISO standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Difference Between Complaints and Feedbacks in terms of Follow-Up Actions Needed Customer Complaints 3
V What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Terms "Customer-directed sources" and "Directed-Buy" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Terms, "Yard Holds", and "Stop Ships" in TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E European Regulations defining the terms Repair and Refurbish EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
P Taper Callout - Allowance in terms I've not seen before Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M What do the terms "Lessons Learned" and "Best Practices" mean ? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
N Interesting Purchase Order for its Terms and Conditions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 82
L What does "conformance matrix" means in terms of ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Jail Terms for Poly Implant Prothese Executives EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S FDA terms - Adverse Events, Medical Device Reporting, MAUDE and Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E D2 vs d2* Explanation in My Terms Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
T Made up terms and words! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
T Difference between the terms Function & Process when used in Construction Management Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 12
Y Definition Traffic Cycle and Chart Deck Story - Terms related to Quality Management Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
N Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Portuguese Definitions and Terms Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
N English as a Second Language - English problems with Legal Terms Contract Review Process 2
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
S Plastic Injection Tooling - Understanding Plastic Injection Molding Terms Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
N NCQA in DPD/MBD - Aerospace Industry Terms Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
S Risk Management in terms of Technical and Commercial Failure (Disaster Recovery) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Definition Process vs. Procedure - Definitions and Differences in the Terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
V Feasibility Index and Prioritization Index - Concepts and Terms FMEA and Control Plans 2
Z How to Establish a Process in Terms of more Added Value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Capturing temporary actions in PFMEA in terms of manpower, lessons learned FMEA and Control Plans 9
C Terms & Conditions done by Outsourcing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J BS EN131-1:2007 Standards (Ladders, Specification for terms, types, functional sizes) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D Who can help me with a glossary of quality terms? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (COMPUTER TERMS, NUMBER SYSTEM AND DIGITAL) The Reading Room 0
T Comparing Two Measurement Systems in terms of Accuracy and Capability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Terms and Conditions for ISO 9001: 2008 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Effective & Efficient - Why both terms "effective" and "efficient" used together? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Defining Department wise Quality Objectives in terms of Effectiveness and Efficiency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Definition Poka Yoke, Process Mapping, MSA - What are these terms please? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
P How to "translate" PPM and On Time Delivery in Monetary Terms Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7