Tesla Lacks Major Automotive Quality Certifications such as IATF 16949 and ISO 9001

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The article available @ Tesla Lacks Major Automotive Quality Certifications in the IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 implies that Tesla's automotive products quality suffer from the fact they don't ascribe to ISO 9001 nor the IATF 16949 standards. From most of what we hear about the organizations founded by and led by Elon Musk, compliance to these standards is as cultural incompatible as they come.

SpaceX only became AS9100 certified because it is a NASA mandate.

Last edited:

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Consumer reports says Tesla is the worst carmaker for quality. Is there a connection to the lack of the use of standards? Probably.
Tesla EVs ranked worst in annual reliability survey by Consumer Reports
Possibly @outdoorsNW , but conversely, we've all experienced those "certified" organizations which we would not want to even sharpen pencils for us. Experience tells me simply being "certified" is not a guarantee of quality performance. Consider, for example , the Asian OEMs that do not subscribe to IATF...yet data shows they build "quality" vehicles.

Be well

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Possibly @outdoorsNW , but conversely, we've all experienced those "certified" organizations which we would not want to even sharpen pencils for us.

Absolutely. There may be a positive correlation between better quality and certification to a QMS standard, but we all know the R-squared on that correlation is definitely not one! Several of the worst suppliers I have ever seen or experienced were either ISO9001 or AS9100 certified. I'm betting that there are IATF 16949 organizations like this.

Boeing is not certified but, aside from some more recent issues, have built some darn fine flying machines of all types and sizes.

Top Bottom