Test Design Exclusion

J

Jimmy Olson

Test Design

Howdy everyone. I have yet another question related to design.

We are looking at all aspectsd before claiming an exclusion for design and development. Our customers are responsible for designing the products and we manufacture them. The question I have is related to product testing. Usually the test procedures are provided by the customers, but sometimes they're not and we have to develop the test procedure. If the procedure is based on the specifications and requirements the customer provides, can we still claim exclusion?

I hope this question makes sense. Let me know if you need more information. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Your position should remain that you do not design a product per se.

You cooperate with the customer in test planning but the 'design' of the test is not applicable in the same way design of the product is. If that were NOT true, almost everything could be technically classified as a design. 'Your' test design is tangental to the product design and you do it in consenance with your customer.

However, it sounds as you may be speaking design of validation tests in which case I would classify you as a part of their design process. It might be that they should be addressing the issue in their system as well.

I'm currently putting together what is actually design testing to set a specification limit for a customer part for a client. My client does not do design work. Technically the customer has asked for help. We won't change the scope of the registration to include design just because my client helps a customer by designing a test which will set a specification limit and one that will be used during production once the specification is set.

Yup - you should be able to stay on the Design Excluded list in my opinion.

J

Jimmy Olson

We do a couple different tests, but one test is a functional test (which would be a validation test I guess). We develop the test to determine the steps we need to do to make the product do what it's supposed to. Basically do step 1,2, and 3 and the light should come on.

The customer is the one that specifies that the light should come on as a function of the product and then says to test the product to make sure it works. Even though we develop the steps of the test, the required results are specified by the customer. I think we can still claim excluded, but I know this is kind of a gray area.

J

Jimmy Olson

One other aspect that I forgot to mention is that we design a lot of our own test fixtures. This applies to tests that are provided by the customer as well as tests we develop.

Management really wants to exclude desgin and development and I want to make sure that we can instead of having something come back and bite us in the :ca: :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
J Is Design Validation required for fixtures or test systems used to manufacture a product? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Minitab Lack-of-Fit Test in DOE (Design of Experiments) Using Minitab Software 4
C Performance Test Results - for TESTS or for REQUIREMENTS specifiied in Design Record? APQP and PPAP 3
B Is Ship Test considered Design Verification or Design Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Checklist for RA and QA Review of DVT (design verification test) for Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Dial Test Indicator Design & Operation when Approach Angle is Different General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Is a Design and Development Plan required for Test Items? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
F Medical Device Cleaning Lifecycle test - Developing a Design Verification Spec Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
D Beta > 1 for new design? Durability test for a new system and no previous test data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
T Need to design a test to measure inspection effectiveness Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
P DOE (Design of Experiments) or Hypothesis test? Applicability and use of each? Six Sigma 6
N Test plan of Design Validation Plan and Report (DVP & R) Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
C Calibration process study help needed - Have I have selected a correct test design? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L MSA application to Continuous Conformance and Design Engineering Test Laboratories Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Test requirements for marketing in US when RATED values are not of US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
H Secondary Circuits, Voltage Test and Clearance/Creepage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Fogging test as per DIN 75201(50ug/g ) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
R HV Test of HF Surgical Unit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R IEC 60601-1 - 11.1.3 e) Test criteria - Temperature Measurements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E 60950-1 resistance to abnormal heat test Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
S User evaluation for self monitoring blood glucose test systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
E MSA for Push and Pull test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Z IEC 60601-2-25; Frequency response test Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Routine production tests - dielectric voltage withstand test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Test Method Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N IEC 60601-1-1 - Stress test, reference voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
L ASQ's Biomedical Auditor Course Test ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Cord anchorage pull test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A IEC 60601-1 Dielectric Strength test for battery operated devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Minitab assistant: 1-Sample % Defective Test Using Minitab Software 1
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Dielectric strength test as per IEC 60601-1 -Infant incubator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1