Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope?

D

Deb Weissler

According to the latest sanctioned interpretations, C3 states: "... if individuals are calibrating equipment (at their work stations) they shall be included in the laboratory organization." We currently have a series of leak testers that the repair mechanics calibrate daily using known leak orifice masters. The masters are calibrated on a scheduled basis by the Metrology Lab, but the mechanics themselves are not associated with that lab. Is the calibration they are doing subject to the laboratory scope requirements of QS-9000?

[This message has been edited by Deb Weissler (edited 22 March 2000).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't think a daily check qualifies as a lab function since metrology is doing the actual calibration. The folks doing the daily check at their bench do not adjust the equipment, do they? As I understand what you are saying is they just do a check and if out of the allowable 'tolerance' they call metrology in. Correct?

D

Deb Weissler

No, actually they ARE performing calibration adjustments using a calibrated orifice. There is a switch on the front of the leak tester that is normally set at "operate". However if the calibration has shifted when verification is done, the mechanic has a key to allow him to calibrate the settings. Metrology only maintains calibration control on the leak orifices, not on the leak testers themselves.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm moving this to the measurement and calibration forum - maybe we can get some answers there.

The basic requirements of 4.10.6 are;
- scope
- qualified people
- procedures
- process control (as Appropriate)
- Test & Cal Methods
- Stat. Methods (as appropriate)

You probably already do or have this info.
My question would be, Why do you have to adjust the equipment every day.

Also,
Marc, question for you,
Is there a difference between "Calibration and adjust" and "verification and Adjust".
During our recent registration audit I "opened mouth and inserted foot" and told the auditor that we do not do calibration I was then informed that I needed to write a procedure to address IM&TE verification activities.
Comments please

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm afraid, painful though it may be, that I am going to have to go with the consensus on this one.

If a unit of lesser and unknown accuracy is being compared with a unit of greater known accuracy (paraphrase, to my best recollection), and it is being adjusted when needed to assure it meets quantitative operating specs, it is a calibration. I believe it would be called a verification if there is no adjustment.

It would still seem to fall under the scope of the lab. I would be hard pressed to exclude it. If I were auditing, I would probably hit on it also.

I would go a little further and say to make sure there is a written procedure, make sure there are documented as received (pre-adjustment) readings, technicians skill levels are documented, and so forth.

Although I have spent much of my life on the bench, I fully understand and adhere to the reasons for this documentation. It need not be any more complicated than necessary to be sure you accomplish what is needed. But certainly there needs to be some method to institutionalize processes.

------------------

B

Batman

I think Jerry is correct. I heve clients distinguish between "calibration" and "standardize" where "calibration" is lab type stuff, maintaining tests and adjustments on measurement equipment that are appropriate to a lab. "Standardize" is what the work station folks do to verify the gage is correct just prior to use. They do not make adjustments. If some gages do require calculations to correct for readings, that is covered in work station procedures. If you have work station gages being adjusted at the work station, it should be clear in work instructions the limits of adjustment allowed. Otherwise this could be interpreted as a "lab area."

D

Deb Weissler

Thanks for all your comments! I think that in this particular application "calibration" is a misnomer, and we do need to define the level at which adjustments after verification are allowed by the mechanics. All of our work instructions use the term "calibration" which may get us into trouble with an auditor. Looks like we have some terminology revisions to do!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Test Equipment at Work Station QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Medical device development - Custom test equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E How do you know your test equipment is good? Functional testing and Golden Boards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
G How many samples you require to test during PQ for validation of a equipment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Labeling measurement and test equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
F Test Equipment for IEC 60601-2-27 related to the picture 201.105 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G GR&R in A.T.E. (Automatic Test Equipment) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Demonstration Test Plan for Reliability of Big Equipment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
Raffy ISO 13485 NIST Traceability requirements for calibration of test equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C How to perform Gauge R & R on Automated Test & Measurement Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J EMI/EMC Test differences for Radiography Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D Validation of Computer and Network Equipment Test System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
x-files ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 - Test as Measuring Equipment... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B M&TE (Measurement and Test Equipment) Usage Records (Logs) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
H ISO 17025 - How to define a "Test Equipment" ? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L How to set up a basic electronic test equipment calibration laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Build own Power Magnetic Field Test Equipment for IEC 61000-4-8 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
T Is Testing Equipment Re-Validation required if the Test Equipment is Relocated? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Test Correlation - Moving Test Equipment to a New Location Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
V Test Lab for JIS T 1501 (Performance of Ultrasonic Pulse-Echo Diagnostic Equipment) Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
R If equipment is rated at 50/60Hz, which frequency should be selected for heating test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
W Moving M&TE (Measuring & Test Equipment) to New Facility General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Accuracy and Precision of Test Equipment required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R ISO 17025 M&TE (Measuring & Test Equipment) Calibration Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
R Incorporating New Electronic Test Equipment into our Calibration System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
JoCam PCB Functional Test Equipment Regulations and Requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
I Dielectric Test for HF Surgical Equipment (IEC 60601-2-2 clause 201.8.5.1.2) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Measuring and Test Equipment that must undergo MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
6 Fuel Testing Laboratory Test Equipment - Methods and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Calibration of Rental Electronic Measurement and Test Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R How to conduct the Threshold Test of Mobile Equipment specified in 3rd edition? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 35
S How to define Permissible Error for Measurement and Test Equipment? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Disposal of Calibrated Measurement and Test Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
N Report Content of 2 types of Calibration on the same equipment - Timer and Speed Test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Gage R&R with ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) - Newbie here... Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Control of Measuring and test Equipment - Flowchart wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Burst Test equipment to perform ASTM F1140 Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
R Identifying "or equivalent" Test Equipment when written in a Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Test Equipment SOP Content - Some questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Validation of processes for production for Test Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
G ANSI/NCSL Z540.3 (Requirements for the Calibration of Measuring and Test Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Test equipment for resistance welded wire/rebar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Recalculation of MU for Test Equipment after every Calibration required? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
S Attribute Gage R&R - Automated Test Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Annual Safety Test for Electrical Medical Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4