Test report to certify compliance with IEC 62304

EAI

Registered
Hello everybody,

I am writing to ask for help on how to demonstrate compliance with IEC 62304.
We are a manufacturer of a class Im medical device. The product is HW+SW.
Currently, our TF is being assessed by an NB under MDR!

For the design and development of the SW we have used the IEC 62304 standard. In the TF we have specified that SW (class A) is developed in accordance with the state of the art and following IEC 62304:2006/A1:2015 and described how we performed each process as defined in the standard. We also added results of testing we have performed.

We have received a report of NCs, and one of them states:
"No evidence has been given that the device complies with the standard declared by the Manufacturer EN 62304: 2006 + A1: 2015. In fact, no test report (from a qualified laboratory) was provided certifying compliance with the standard, deemed essential by the NB to meet the general safety requirements of the device subject to certification".

I have just reviewed the new EU document: MDCG 2021-5
Guidance on standardisation for medical devices. This document makes it clear that the use of standards is voluntary. I don't understand why I am required to submit a test report (from a qualified laboratory) or what other internal documentation I can submit to demonstrate compliance with IEC 62340 and GSPR (MDR).

Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I had the same thing occur several years ago. As you probably know, compliance to a harmonized standard gives you a presumption of conformity to the applicable regulations. If you get a compliance assessment report from a qualified lab, the NB can accept the results. If you try to self-assess or go with an unqualified lab, the NB will (allegedly) need to basically do their own assessment at additional cost (time and money) to you. So you can either push back and have them do the assessment or get a qualified lab to do it (obviously, either way at this point it's cost in money and time to you but if the lab does it in parallel with 60601-1 testing then there's really no additional time).

EAI

Registered
Thank you very much for your quick response.

It really seems a bit unfair and "money-grabbing" to request an official certificate for something that is voluntary and even more so for a standard such as IEC 62304, which is to establish processes and documentation.

I also find it strange that they ask for a certificate for IEC 62304 but not for ISO 14971 for example...

But I am with you that you can enter in an infinite loop of allegations or give in and ask a lab to perform the service... it will be money and time but it will save me years of life ;-)

Regards,

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
Do you have established procedures that show alignment with the clauses of 62304? I suppose it is possible to establish a detailed software development plan (for a specific software effort) that explicitly maps the clauses of 62304 to the project deliverables, but that would be overkill IMO. Ultimately it is the artifacts that demonstrate compliance (for a project) with 62304, but pre-establishing the requirements is somewhat key. I think there is a subtle difference between planning for compliance and "discovering" compliance.

I can imagine that because this specific example is declared to be Class A (for which certain deliverables are not necessary per 62304) that the picture could be somewhat cloudier depending on when in the development process the assessment of safety classification was made and how it ties into the risk management process. I will disclose that this thread has conjured images of dogs and their wagging tails.

I've never had a NRTL push back asking for 'certification' to 62304; we've always provided the necessary software artifacts to both NRTLs and as part of regulatory submissions. The closest analog I can think of was walking NRTLs through our risk management process (independent of specific risk files) as part of the 60601-1 assessment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Sponsor name presented in the test report EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Is it normal / sufficient to have only the IEC 60601-1-2 test report without indicating IEC 60601-1? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
K IEC 62133 Test Report for Lithium Battery Certification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Does anyone have example test report of defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
T IEC 62366 Test Report Form IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 20
S Software Test Report including IEC 62304 classification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
C EMC Test Report Requirements to IEC 60601-1-2:2009 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L How do I document the chemical attributes in the Mill Test Report (MTR) verification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S AMS 2750E Heat Treat Furnace System Accuracy Test SAT Report question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T Test Report - Customer Signature - Customer did not witness test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S IEC 60601-1 Cl. 14 - Report changes in Software after Testing to Test Lab? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
T More than One Original Test Report - Original Print General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Customer Address on ISO 17025 Test Report - Is email address okay? ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
D Test Report written by hand or electronically ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
shimonv Updating Safety Test Report when changing component supplier IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S SX MRP Software MTR (Material Test Report) Module Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
C Test Report issued by UL Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Z CB Certificate and IEC 60601-1 Test Report requirements - Korea Product Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
Q Factory Acceptance Test Report example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J SFDA Biocompatibility Test Report Requests (China) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
N Report Content of 2 types of Calibration on the same equipment - Timer and Speed Test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B IEC 60601 3rd Edition - Test Report Form UL uses for testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Recommendations for a good commercially available Material Test Report (MTR) Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Calibration Certificate - 'test report shall not be reproduced except in full' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S What is the difference between a Test Protocol and a Test Report? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
A What is EMPB (Erstmusterpr?fbericht = First Sample Test Report) yellow? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
S Help creating form for shipping w/o MTR's (Material Test Report) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Could IMDS Represent the SoC Free Test Report? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
D Test report requirements - Signature required? ISO 7176-19 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
N Test plan of Design Validation Plan and Report (DVP & R) Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
J TFRR - What is actually required to be TEST FAILURE RESOLUTION REPORT Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A Direct vs. Post-License Investigational Test Authorization (ITA) Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
P Test Method Validation (TMV) for all Measurement Methods in Rec/Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T ANOVA analysis to find F test. Using Minitab Software 3
P API Q1 - Monogram Product & API 4F - Proof Load Test Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D Test Management Software Software Quality Assurance 1
B How to test operator to see if they can catch the defective parts? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G 60601-1 8.8.3. short circuit of both side during insulation test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Bacterial Endotoxin test for Purified water Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
shimonv Test Method Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C Test compulsory for Sutures? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
dgrainger Informational DRAFT: The Medical Devices (Coronavirus Test Device Approvals) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 1
K Identification test in ph.eur. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
AllTheThings ISO-17025 accredited TEST lab performing internal calibrations (Yes: Here is how) ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1