Test requirements for marketing in US when RATED values are not of US

akp060

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

If my device is not rated at a voltage and/or frequency than the ones for utility supply in the US, would the test reports still be good for the FDA purpose? In the US could I use a voltage converter inside a hospital for connecting my device? If yes, would I have to include the converter as an off the shelf component in my regulatory submission and would I need to test with the converter included in the test sample?

If I have missed anything please let me know

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
It doesn't sound like a practical approach for a few reasons and probably not legal either. Might be OK for extremely low volumes e.g. clinical trial, where the installation is checked out by a qualified professional.

akp060

Involved In Discussions
It doesn't sound like a practical approach for a few reasons and probably not legal either. Might be OK for extremely low volumes e.g. clinical trial, where the installation is checked out by a qualified professional.
Is this with reference to the use of a voltage converter?

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
Selling a device that is rated for say 230V in the USA sounds like it could be in breach of a law somewhere. This includes basic national or state laws for connection to the electrical supply (i.e. laws outside of the FDA's scope). Not sure but worth to check.

Next would be the practicality and safe use with a converter. The size might be an issue if the device's power is more than 100W. Need also to check the plugs to make sure mistakes are not possible. If the device is earthed (Class I) need to check if the earthing is followed through. Then consider any impacts to the EMC profile. For general safety need to confirm the converter is in compliance with it's relevant safety standards and if it gets used inside the patient environment it may need additional measures. Instructions for use need to be clear as well.

There could be more (or less) issues that come up depending on the actual converter supplied. Reliability as well - my experience with converters is they are designed for occasional use (e.g. while travelling) not for continuous use.

It's not a situation I've seen before so this is more gut feeling than specific references. You would probably need to actually assemble a "system" together (specific converter + device) and run it by some professionals to get a good feel for all the potential issues.

akp060

Involved In Discussions
Selling a device that is rated for say 230V in the USA sounds like it could be in breach of a law somewhere. This includes basic national or state laws for connection to the electrical supply (i.e. laws outside of the FDA's scope). Not sure but worth to check.

Next would be the practicality and safe use with a converter. The size might be an issue if the device's power is more than 100W. Need also to check the plugs to make sure mistakes are not possible. If the device is earthed (Class I) need to check if the earthing is followed through. Then consider any impacts to the EMC profile. For general safety need to confirm the converter is in compliance with it's relevant safety standards and if it gets used inside the patient environment it may need additional measures. Instructions for use need to be clear as well.

There could be more (or less) issues that come up depending on the actual converter supplied. Reliability as well - my experience with converters is they are designed for occasional use (e.g. while travelling) not for continuous use.

It's not a situation I've seen before so this is more gut feeling than specific references. You would probably need to actually assemble a "system" together (specific converter + device) and run it by some professionals to get a good feel for all the potential issues.

Thank You for the thoughts, Peter! I had similar questions in mind.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
FWIW: US hospitals can accept devices with different line voltages, without the need of a converter. This depends on the electrical infrastructure of the hospital.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H External power supply - requirements in safety/EMC test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A Selling CE marked self-test in Malta - any additional requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
optomist1 Military Test Facility Certification Requirements Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
Q AMS 2750E Sensitivity Requirements Field Test Instrument AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M 15.3.3 Ball Impact Test requirements in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Raffy ISO 13485 NIST Traceability requirements for calibration of test equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S ISO 10993-1: External Communicating Device biocompatibility test requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Test Laboratory and Gage R&R Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C EMC Test Report Requirements to IEC 60601-1-2:2009 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Biocompatibility Test requirements for 510k - Orthopaedic Implant Screws US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
F Softening Standard Test Requirements for CE Marking Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D FDA Test requirements for a General Pedicle Screw vs. Shank Screw Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
C Performance Test Results - for TESTS or for REQUIREMENTS specifiied in Design Record? APQP and PPAP 3
J Electrical Safety Test Requirements for Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
S Can the Integrated Test be linked to Software Requirements? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 13
W FDA Requirements for Disinfectant Efficacy Test of iPhone Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
A IEC 60601 Ground Bond Test Requirements for a Plastic Enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S ASTM F2179-02 Glass Scratch Test Procedure Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
E List of Complete EMC Test Requirements consisting of IEC, EN, Cispr, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Embedded software requirements - Developer test tools within the same code Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Legal Requirements for Test Certificates on Safety Matches for the UK please Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
R ISO 17025 M&TE (Measuring & Test Equipment) Calibration Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JoCam PCB Functional Test Equipment Regulations and Requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
Z CB Certificate and IEC 60601-1 Test Report requirements - Korea Product Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
J Yearly Cleanroom Revalidation Test Requirements - Questions for users clean room ISO7 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
T ISO 17025 Clause 5.4.2 - Calibration and Test Method Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Douglas E. Purdy Inspection & Test Laboratory Accreditation Requirements for AS 9100 C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
O Understanding Requirements for CE Marking and Test Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
A Diagnostic Test Regulations and Registration Requirements in African Countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Current Products on the Market and IEC 60601 3rd Edition Safety Re-Test Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
F PPAP Material Test Results Requirements - Material Supplier Identification QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
5 CFAT (Component First Article Test) - Requirements and Information Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
S Requirements of USP24 NF18 1995 for the Biological Test for Plastics Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
B Test Package Contents Requirements - Hydraulic Piping and Pressure Testing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J FDA Packaging Test Requirements - Product is PE Bag 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
G ANSI/NCSL Z540.3 (Requirements for the Calibration of Measuring and Test Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J PMA Approval Based on Test & Computation OEM Requirements Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
T ISO 10993 Tests of End Product vs. Test of Material - Japanese Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Test report requirements - Signature required? ISO 7176-19 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
S Test requirements for sectional observation & temperature rise (wire harness) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
L ELPO E-Coat Paint Test Requirements for GM Suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
E Test report to certify compliance with IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
E Tensile test machine, tinius olsen 602 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Test failure Root cause not found Customer Complaints 10
Moumen H Variations between ASTM A29 Standard for steel bars and Mill test certificates specs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Tip test 10° -> 5° IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Sponsor name presented in the test report EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Packing Validation & Accelerated Aging Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0