Test Station Preventive Frequency

johnnybegood

Involved In Discussions
PM frequency

How do I determine the test station PM frequency? For simplicity most of the test station is PM on weekly basis by our Maintenance Dept. However when I question why they missed out some PM during the audit one reason was they are short handed. I then ask why carry out PM on weekly basis and not every 2 weeks or even monthly? They can't answer. So I thought I can get some answer thru this thread.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

PM should be carried out at a frequency that maintains the capability of the machine. i.e. you might say break down occurrences is a good starting point to define PM frequency.

If maintenance dont have enough people to do the job at the required frequency then you have them (excuse the tone) under clause 6.1 of ISO9001:2000 - Provision of Resources.

If you can see a trend at the weekly PM that the machine is checked and found OK, and as such no action is taken then you might argue that you can wind out the frequency to 2 weeks or further, but this can only be based on the actual maintenance requirements of the machine - not the resources available.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
I believe most equipment manufacuters can provide you the info on PM requirements for their equipment. One could start from there.

As M. Greenaway has correctly suggested, systematic and regular tracking of
1. Machine Capability and
2. Past breakdown history (MTBF)
should help you decide and adjust the frequency.

-Atul.

M

M Greenaway

Yes Johnny.

That would be my preferred first step.

Raising NC's against resources is always a very dangerous area, and can lead to very contentious reviews. Personally I have never raised an NC against resources.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Martin and Atul are right on, as usual :)

At our company, PMs are broken down to those done weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and annually. The Maintenance crew does not do all of them, many of the weekly PMs are actually performed by the operators. This was reinforced (expanded) recently as part of our TPM program, as well as refitting equipment whenever possible to allow for hand adjustments (tightening, quick disconnects, etc...) and not needing tools.

Jonny...maybe I'm reading too much into your comment,
I think we need to determine the frequency of PM. There must be some kind of basis for that before raising up the resources issue.
but it sounds like you want to lump all PMs as being equal with the same frequency which is counterproductive in my opinion. I say it's counterproductive because you will do one of two things: Understate the frequency - causing even more problems with machine downtime until each PM is adjusted, or Overstate the frequency and your already swamped crew won't be able to handle it.

Good luck, Eileen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
D Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D Test Equipment at Work Station QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
N IEC 60601-1-1 - Stress test, reference voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
L ASQ's Biomedical Auditor Course Test ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
R SAT (System Accuracy Test) temperature according to AMS2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
W Seeking Guidance Verification Test Strategy for Class B Medical Devices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Cord anchorage pull test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A IEC 60601-1 Dielectric Strength test for battery operated devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Minitab assistant: 1-Sample % Defective Test Using Minitab Software 1
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Dielectric strength test as per IEC 60601-1 -Infant incubator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Operator protection - When to apply table 7, Dielectric strength test voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
R Medical Device Airworthiness, DO-160 Test Planner IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
J Audit Finding For Not Retaining Test Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S IVF medical devices standards and test methods Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
A Information about Medical Device Test Laboratories Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
B Standard for Dielectric Strength Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
J EN61010 Electrical Withstand Test IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G ISO 17025:2017 Uninterrupted chain of traceability for test laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C CQA Test Questions Bank General Auditing Discussions 1
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
S Safety Class A with no test? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
A IEC 60601-2-2 - Defib-proof test amendment to base standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K The correct way of doing a 2 Sample T test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
J Good Documentation Practices Self Test? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B EU: Alcohol test kits for breast milk IVDD EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D IEC EN 61326 Dated Standards - Dated standards for test protocols CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Kuldeep Singh Electromagnetic Compatibility Test IEC 60601-1-2: 2014 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7