Testing an equipment for MRI Compatibility

S

shiftkoji

I'm trying to do some project planning around testing our device for MRI safety. It's a class II device, but not an implantable. It's a monitoring device that would be outside the MRI machine, but in the room at the same time. It's something our customers have been asking about.

I've had trouble getting responses from test labs about this, so while I'm waiting I thought I would post here. Does anyone have any experience with testing to determine if it is MRI-conditional or MRI-safe?

What was the cost? How involved was testing?

I have not seen hard-limits for testing regarding this, and seems to be more judgement based on test conditions. If someone knows otherwise, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sam Lazzara

Trusted Information Resource
I do a lot of work related to MRI testing on behalf of my clients, for non-active implantable devices mostly. I have searched the globe for test labs and have obtained quotes on numerous occasions. My current recommendation based on general affordability (compared to the others) and excellent customer service is a test lab in Canada called MRIdt.

Disclaimer - I have no connection with this lab other than being a satisfied customer.

Sam Lazzara

Trusted Information Resource
Here are some random notes regarding MRI compatibility testing.
Even though "implants" are mentioned below, the same general principles apply to any device brought into the MRI suite.

Testing can be replaced by a justification for non-magnetic materials.

Applicable Standards (versions listed may not be the latest)

ASTM F2052:2015
Standard Test Method for Measurement of Magnetically Induced Displacement Force on Medical Devices in the Magnetic Resonance Environment

ASTM F2119:2007 (2013)
Standard Test Method for Evaluation of MR Image Artifacts from Passive Implants

ASTM F2182:2011a
Standard Test Method for Measurement of Radio Frequency Induced Heating near Passive Implants During Magnetic Resonance Imaging

ASTM F2213:2006 (2011)
Standard Test Method for Measurements of Magnetically Induced Torque on Medical Devices in the Magnetic Resonance Environment

ASTM F2503:2013
Standard Practice for Marking Medical Devices and Other Items for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance Environment

US FDA Guidance:2014
Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff – Establishing Safety and Compatibility of Passive Implants in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment 

Example Design Input Requirement for Implant
7.3.3 Implant Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Compatibility: Implant shall be labeled as “MR Conditional”, meaning it has been demonstrated to pose no known hazards in a specified MR environment with specified conditions of use. MR-imaging artifacts where the device is deployed is acceptable if disclosed in IFU.
MR-Conditional Labeling (ASTM F2503) requirement is for IFU to disclose specified MRI environment for which implant can be safely scanned. Determine MRI-compatibility labeling requirements by testing compatibility with 3-Tesla MRI system to obtain experimental data as described below.
· Magnetically Induced Displacement Force per ASTM F2052
· Magnetically Induced Torque per ASTM F2213
· Heating by RF Fields per ASTM F2182
· Image Artifact per ASTM F2119

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E How do you know your test equipment is good? Functional testing and Golden Boards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Is a 3V torch classified as medical electrical equipment needing EMI/EMC testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Testing ME equipment powered by Battery EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Rich O2 Environment Testing Laboratories (Clause 11.2.2 ME EQUIPMENT and ME SYSTEMS) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M ISO17025 Testing Laboratory Equipment Calibration Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Is there a standard for testing equipment at a single point? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
T Is Testing Equipment Re-Validation required if the Test Equipment is Relocated? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Testing to clause 15.4.6 - Actuating parts of controls of Medical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Testing Medical Equipment used in conjunction with Oxygen Rich Environments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
F Help with Electrical Safety Testing - Medical Equipment Regulations IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
6 Fuel Testing Laboratory Test Equipment - Methods and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Where do you draw the line on what fixtures/testing equipment require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 36
M GR&R (Gage R&R) for Automated Electrical Testing Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Calibration of equipment in an A2LA accredited testing laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D Sealed bag testing equipment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Does waste water equipment need calibration if we also outsource testing? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
I Procedure for Calibration of my Load Cell Testing Equipment - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Y Is NDC needed for gage used for ATE? Automated Test Equipment IC Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Looking for 100% sort testing equipment for overall length, flatness, and parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Measurement standards - Testing equipment for lubricant characteristics - Grease, Oil General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Shrinkage Testing for EPDM Material Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
J Managing design verification regression testing of design changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
D Conductivity Water Samples testing temperature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Pricing Structure for Physical Mechanical Testing of Labs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Skipped/Reduced testing in Pharma for Raw materials and Intermediates Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Pharmaceutical Shelf Life Testing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D How to testing of Pressure relief valve as per API 6D ? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
J Impact Testing--Is conversion between Izod and Sharpy Possible? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V How to select the tests for proficiency testing Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
B Customer Preference Testing Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
N Pre-Clinical Performance Testing Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
I Software (SaMD) mobile application verification testing: objective evidence Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
I How to find required testing for a specific device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J CQI-9v4 Alternative TUS Testing Methods Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M ASTM F1717 Static and Dynamic Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Mold Limits for Microbiology Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Orthopedic implant sterility testing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
H Independence between the development and testing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Testing criteria - where to place Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E 60601-1 - Tilt testing - Tensile safety factor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Setup for testing against ISO14708 clause 16 (protection of the patient from herms caused by heat) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
gramps What do you think about automated QA testing For software app industry? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B In house NIOSH pre Testing accepted by NIOSH? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Bacteriostasis/Fungistasis Testing Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
P Sample Size for Distribution Simulation Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
N EN 813, EN 12277, EN 1497 - Testing some harness prototypes to an EN standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
S What should i choose for "testing procedure" characteristics? (N95) General Information Resources 0