Testing (Evaluation of) and Verification of Employee Color Vision

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
They have to visual notice the color change, then use the instrument to verify and/or compare to a approved harmony master part.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Assuming that you are using people's ability to discern color as a way to speed things up...then using a gage to confirm...

Look instead at how you can use the gage as primary...even if it means a tweak to the production process...there are a large number of gages available, from hand-held to in-line automated...

Use the gage as primary, and people as backups ... not the other way around...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
They have to visual notice the color change, then use the instrument to verify and/or compare to a approved harmony master part.
The problem with this is that there can be significantly different levels of acuity along the visual spectrum, which is why I agreed with the suggestion to use the Munsell test kit. Some people are better at discerning differences in one part of the spectrum than at others. The Munsell test will tell you what you need to know across the spectrum.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
The color instruments are expensive and all of our plants, at m last company, only had one or two. Upper management would not support having a color instrument for every press. So, it is necessary to have people able to notice changes in the hue. We used the test of people's vision to verify they can notice change. That is why I recommended the test in my first reply.

S

salexander

Curious, is this for currently employed personnel, or as a screening test for applicants? If they are current employees, I am not sure you can fire them for failing the test, but instead reassign them. As a screening test for new employees, you can make it terms of employment (though I bet it is still a legal issue).

This would be used to validate current people if they did not pass the test they would not fire they would be moved in jobs where color acuity is not required. We do many items in various colors and need to make sure the people that are making the decision on is something in the approved range can actually recognize the color.

Thanks,

Steve

S

salexander

There are several methods already mentioned, and the selection of the method will be determined by exactly what you are trying to assess. Is it the ability to see color at all? The ability to distinguish between shades of the same color (and if so, how 'precise' do they need to be?), or something else entirely?

This would be more of being able to distinguish between shades of a color as we have need to stay with in the approved color range they need to 90% accurate in our industry.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
The Munsell test is the best one (that I am aware of) to demonstrate the ability to discriminate between shades - I will add a note of caution though. The inspection conditions MUST duplicate the conditions of the testing, or the evaluation is meaningless. This includes the amount (and type and color) of lighting, etc.

CLHansen

Registered
Is there some type of online resource that can be used to test people?

The problem with any online test is the variance in monitors and their limited display of color. Even if you had everyone use the same monitor at a work location, chances are it would look nothing like the monitor of the person who developed such a test. (A former employer sent out new web versions of the company colors every couple of years. I had no proof, but I suspect it changed every time the person writing the document had a new monitor).

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Everyone knew that color instrument is expensive right?

They are. There are many used ones available for reduced rates. But, beware there are alot of older instruments that don't meet the current standards for certain industries.

I would see how many rejected shipments of material for incorrect color it would take to pay for a new instrument to make a case to buy one.

Top Bottom