Testing for Belt Longevity - 20ft Pipe

C

CDAndrews

Hi All,

I have a vendor wanting to run belt sanding tests to prove his belts can significantly decrease cost (over time) by running faster and increase longevity. He has requested to run 5 pieces (20ft in length and about 2" in diameter) repeatedly. These belts (4 in total and 5" wide each) are designed to give a grained appearance to the pipe. The belts will not differ between individual sanders. Each sander will have one belt. Here is my question:

Will running these same 5 pieces repeatedly give me a reliable result as to belt fatigue, load, wear out, etc.?

I would assume, dangerously enough, that once the initial grain has been achieved - on the first pass - that subsequent passes will be easier on the belts than running an unfinished piece each time (as we would in reality). Am I correct?

Thank you all very much!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
You need to be able to compare the new to the current baseline. There are two ways to do this: 1) Use the new in the same manner as the current, or 2) Use the current in a parallel study the same as the new.

C

CDAndrews

Yeah, you'd be best served by testing both at the same time, same conditions. Most reliable data achieved that way.
Thank you both very much; I really appreciate your feedback. I was thinking the same. I believe that to be the only way to get a good comparison, without getting into a wrestling match regarding supposed specifics and variables. Unfortunately, while I am the foreman and project manager, I'm not the final decision-maker on the project. I have to ride the line between what I know to be true (and can prove) and how the "more experienced" guys have handled vendors for years. Wish me luck; I'm walking in with my head held high...

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDAndrews

You need to be able to compare the new to the current baseline. There are two ways to do this: 1) Use the new in the same manner as the current, or 2) Use the current in a parallel study the same as the new.
I realized the way I replied only showed up in response to normzone's post. I wanted to make sure I thank you directly as well. So, thank you very much for your early and accurate response!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
G Green Belt Project in Software Testing Six Sigma 1
S Safety testing IEC 60601 series Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M EE's - Laptops/Printer Change and Emissions Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
keya1tos EU to UK plug adapter correct testing standard CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
D IEC 60601-1-2: Is EMC immunity testing required for a device without essential performance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
M Oral irritation testing Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
A Fire Testing - EN 50339 Not 20 minutes ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M Biological testing at the end of the real time of MD Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M In Vitro irritation testing according to ISO 10993-23 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R SaMD Performance Testing US Medical Device Regulations 5
J 'Failure rate leading to false-negatives and repeat testing' - MDCG and Common Tech Specs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Extractables testing replicates - Chemical Characterization ISO 10993-18 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Strategies to Mitigate Fails in DV Testing Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
E 17025 Accredited Microbiological Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
X Looking for 17025 auditor to perform internal audit on IT software testing laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
J Design Verification Testing and Statistics Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
W External PSU Providing a MOOP -- Will This Necessitate Conducted Emissions Testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G How to Record Informal Testing (Not Verification/Validation) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
J Medical Device Component Change - Testing, Sampling Criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
R Microbiological test (USP61, USP62, USP71, ISO 11137.1, ISO11137.2) --- Testing flow chart Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
R GB9706.1:2020 - in-country testing China Medical Device Regulations 0
A Bench Testing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Validation of Software used in Verification Testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
E Biocompatibility testing of our applied part seems redundant Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Recommended testing methods for weather stripping Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
T Shrinkage Testing for EPDM Material Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Managing design verification regression testing of design changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D Conductivity Water Samples testing temperature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Pricing Structure for Physical Mechanical Testing of Labs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Skipped/Reduced testing in Pharma for Raw materials and Intermediates Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Pharmaceutical Shelf Life Testing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D How to testing of Pressure relief valve as per API 6D ? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
J Impact Testing--Is conversion between Izod and Sharpy Possible? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V How to select the tests for proficiency testing Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
B Customer Preference Testing Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
N Pre-Clinical Performance Testing Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
I Software (SaMD) mobile application verification testing: objective evidence Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
I How to find required testing for a specific device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J CQI-9v4 Alternative TUS Testing Methods Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M ASTM F1717 Static and Dynamic Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Mold Limits for Microbiology Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Orthopedic implant sterility testing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
H Independence between the development and testing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Testing criteria - where to place Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E 60601-1 - Tilt testing - Tensile safety factor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Setup for testing against ISO14708 clause 16 (protection of the patient from herms caused by heat) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0