Testing for Belt Longevity - 20ft Pipe

C

CDAndrews

Hi All,

I have a vendor wanting to run belt sanding tests to prove his belts can significantly decrease cost (over time) by running faster and increase longevity. He has requested to run 5 pieces (20ft in length and about 2" in diameter) repeatedly. These belts (4 in total and 5" wide each) are designed to give a grained appearance to the pipe. The belts will not differ between individual sanders. Each sander will have one belt. Here is my question:

Will running these same 5 pieces repeatedly give me a reliable result as to belt fatigue, load, wear out, etc.?

I would assume, dangerously enough, that once the initial grain has been achieved - on the first pass - that subsequent passes will be easier on the belts than running an unfinished piece each time (as we would in reality). Am I correct?

Thank you all very much!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
You need to be able to compare the new to the current baseline. There are two ways to do this: 1) Use the new in the same manner as the current, or 2) Use the current in a parallel study the same as the new.

C

CDAndrews

Yeah, you'd be best served by testing both at the same time, same conditions. Most reliable data achieved that way.
Thank you both very much; I really appreciate your feedback. I was thinking the same. I believe that to be the only way to get a good comparison, without getting into a wrestling match regarding supposed specifics and variables. Unfortunately, while I am the foreman and project manager, I'm not the final decision-maker on the project. I have to ride the line between what I know to be true (and can prove) and how the "more experienced" guys have handled vendors for years. Wish me luck; I'm walking in with my head held high...

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDAndrews

You need to be able to compare the new to the current baseline. There are two ways to do this: 1) Use the new in the same manner as the current, or 2) Use the current in a parallel study the same as the new.
I realized the way I replied only showed up in response to normzone's post. I wanted to make sure I thank you directly as well. So, thank you very much for your early and accurate response!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
G Green Belt Project in Software Testing Six Sigma 1
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K IEC 62304 - Testing Independance IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A ANSI/AAMI versions of 60601-1-2 and related testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Mobile Patient Hoists and Electrical Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Inter-operator Variability Testing - Requirements for EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Workplace Drug Testing in 2020 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Qualification testing of Lead acid batteries Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Sterility and BioBurden Testing for Plastics ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
DitchDigger IEC 60601-1 subclause 5.1 - Adequate evaluation in lieu of testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Spirometer - Pulmonary Function Testing - ATS/ERS:2005 EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M 510(k) 10993 Biocompability Testing Other US Medical Device Regulations 15
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A ISO 17025 Requirement 6.2 - Department Manager Testing Qualifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P IEC 62304 - evaluation of integration and system testing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M What to do in SOP Phase of Head unit testing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
W SOP examples wanted - Soil, Concrete and Asphalt testing ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Informational TGA Consultation: Review of the regulation of certain self-testing IVDs in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Proficiency Testing for ISO 17025: AC Current Ranges ISO 17025 related Discussions 1