Testing for Process Confidence - Sample Size

M

Mark Smith

Here's the problem.

I want to know how many pieces from some process I need to test (and what the acceptable failure number would be) if I need the process to produce pieces with 95/95 confidence and reliability and I know nothing else about the process. If any failure occurs, how many additional pieces must be tested to achieve the same level of confidence and reliability? I believe I would begin by testing 60 pieces and allow zero failures to achieve this goal. Am I right? explain!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

I apologize for the delayed response. I have 'computerless' at work and the one at home is sorta acting up. Work is OK now and I will have an answer to your request in a day or so. Again, my apologies.

Regards,
Don

------------------
Just the ramblings of an Old Wizard Warrior.

D

Don Winton

There is an extensive discussion on sampling, confidence, sample sizes, etc at:

Sampling Plans

Read thru this and if you any more questions, please ask.

Regards,
Don

D

Don Winton

Mark Smith Wrote:

Don,

"Thom R Nichols" wrote an article in the June 1997 issue of MDDI Magazine ( Assessing Pass/Fail Testing When There Are No Failures to Assess )that provides a plan for assessing pass/fail testing when no failures occur. Using his chart, I selected 60 samples with zero rejects for 95% confidence. The question is "If a failure occurs, how many additional units need to be tested over 60 with zero additional failures for me to have the same level of confidence in the process producing the product in question?" Can you explain it to me? My statistical background is very limited.

Now I understand the question, I think.

You selected 60 samples with 95% confidence, therefore, from Table I, you were expecting a long term failure rate not to exceed 6.0%. But you had one failure. Now, how many additional units do you have to test to achieve the same 6.0% long term failure rate? Is that it? Let us assume it is.

From Table I, if you test 100 units with one failure, the long term failure rate is predicted to be 5.4%, which is 0.6% less than your original expectation of 6.0%. Therefore, I would test an additional 40 units, and with zero failures, your long term failure rate is predicted to be 5.4%. If the additional 40 units also had one failure, then you would need to work on the process and try the procedure over, based on the info presented in the article. Of course, you could always predict long term failure based on the actual failures. But, that is another story. Test the next 40 and if there are additional failures, we can discuss it then.

Can you explain it to me?
Not really. While I understand why they are presenting this information, I do not know how they derived the charts. The authors chose not to present the statistical theory and I do not have access to references 1 or 2. If you know where they can be found on the web, let me know. My local library sorta sucks in this department. Sorry.

Regards,
Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Microbiology Testing - Managing a Microbiology Process Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
R Testing a Product Recall Process IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 8
Sam Lazzara Lot Release Testing versus Process Validation Studies Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
M Manufacturing Process Validation Destructive Testing Sampling Plan Advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Safety Tests Required for In-Process Testing of Medical Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Pouch Sealing and Peel Testing Process Improvement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Application of Special Process - Validation and FAI in Wind Tunnel Testing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Testing Process Audit - Defining a Process Compliance Mechanism Software Quality Assurance 2
Q Process Impact Validation Testing - Polishing process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Process FMEA in a testing facility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Process Audit questions on Ultrasonic and Resonance testing Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
C Is Parts/Process Average Testing SPC by Another Name? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
ccochran Laboratory Testing as a "Special Process" - element 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Polyurethane Foam Testing and Controlling the Foaming Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A How do you structure your IC Assembly and Testing PFMEA (Process FMEA)? FMEA and Control Plans 10
D Testing process is non value added process under TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K IEC 62304 - Testing Independance IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A ANSI/AAMI versions of 60601-1-2 and related testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Mobile Patient Hoists and Electrical Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Inter-operator Variability Testing - Requirements for EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Workplace Drug Testing in 2020 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Qualification testing of Lead acid batteries Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Sterility and BioBurden Testing for Plastics ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
DitchDigger IEC 60601-1 subclause 5.1 - Adequate evaluation in lieu of testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6