Testing software-only device on hardware - What are the hardware parameters?

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
Hello, I'm now working for a company that is developing a software-only medical device. I've only worked in places where there was also hardware/equipment. Our testing was always on a "production or production-equivalent system."

I realize we need to test on operating systems that we will support and that those will be on specific hardware. How do I say this without saying that we will have production-equivalent systems?

Can I say something about platform-equivalent systems and define what I mean by platform? Like Microsoft Windows 8 laptop, MacBook Pro running iOS 10.1.3, etc. Can I say that we have a minimum configuration on which it runs and test to that? "Minimum configuration-equivalent"?

Just wondering how others state and map to the test systems when it's software-only.

Thank you,
S Schoepel

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
This is what I came up with for our test plan and the hardware compatibility requirements will list the minimum system requirements for the platforms/computers/devices on which we will design the product to run:

[FONT=&quot]The testing is run on all supported hardware configurations (see the hardware compatibility requirements for the configurations) unless exceptions are indicated in this section.[/FONT]

I think it's sufficient.

Yes? No?

S. Schoepel

michellemmm

Quest For Quality
This is what I came up with for our test plan and the hardware compatibility requirements will list the minimum system requirements for the platforms/computers/devices on which we will design the product to run:

[FONT=&quot]The testing is run on all supported hardware configurations (see the hardware compatibility requirements for the configurations) unless exceptions are indicated in this section.[/FONT]

I think it's sufficient.

Yes? No?

S. Schoepel
I am a little confused. Are you trying to test hardware or are you testing integration of hardware and software?

SSchoepel

Involved In Discussions
I am trying to test a software-only product on platforms/configurations that we will stated as being tested on/compatible with the software-only product. I've come from a "big iron" medical device company where we always tested on "production-equivalent" systems because we shipped a physical product. Not sure how to state properly what kind of test systems we are testing on for a software-only product.

Regards,
S. Schoepel

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
The first question I'd ask would be what happens if the system fails on a system on which it wasn't tested? What are the risks of not testing?

The second question I'd ask is what the spectrum of configurations looks like. If you can say that 90% of the population is anticipated to run on a set of configurations and there's no substantial risk for running on the others, maybe you test the 90%.

I know that systems deployed over browsers have the capability to know what browser (and maybe hardware configuration?) is being used so you could possibly prohibit use on untested configurations (or provide a pop-up saying, effectively, use at your own risk).

c.mitch

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Sschoepel,
I went through the same questions as yours when submitting PACS standalone software to the FDA. And I was also challenged by the developers team about FDA requirements.
I stumbled upon your posts and I felt less alone :)
About your questions on level of concern, I had the same problem. Minor a few years ago, FDA now "prefers" moderate for this kind of software.
About hardware/software platform compatibility, I went through different solutions: from freezing the configuration to having only minimum system requirements like those you mentioned.
Minimum requirements in the user/install instructions + tests on this configuration passed the exam of the FDA.
Now if you have web technology in your software, things get more complex. You'd better be more specific on the browsers you support and if your PACS viewer runs on smartphones/tablets (and I don't talk about cybersecurity and human factors engineering!)
A good source of information is to have a look at 510k summaries of your competitors. Eg: GE centricity universal viewer or zero footprint viewer. They're really intructive.

Anyway, Yodon's risk based approach is probably the best method to define rationale to stick to a configuration or to leave it open with minimum requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Sample performance testing for a software-only medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Medical Device Software - Final Field Testing Best Practices IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A Beta Testing FDA Regulated Medical Device Software vs. Nonconforming product? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L Traditional 510(K) - Software - Clinical testing? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S Certified Manager of Software Testing (CMST) Certification Exam Career and Occupation Discussions 4
C Software for trending and reporting particulate testing Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
S IEC 60601-1 Cl. 14 - Report changes in Software after Testing to Test Lab? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Verify Software System Testing: Verify that results meet the Pass/Fail Criteria IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
Z Floppy Disk Software Control - Floppy Disk with Software for Testing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
G Green Belt Project in Software Testing Six Sigma 1
K Tips on answering the questions for Certified Manager for Software Testing (CMST)? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
B Software Beta Testing - Sample test plan or procedure wanted Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
R Innovations and Best Practice in Software Testing Software Quality Assurance 5
S Automated regression testing software Software Quality Assurance 4
U What are the Advantages and Benefits of Independent Testing of Software? Software Quality Assurance 5
D Validating software in materials testing - Integrated system of individual components General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Marc Software Quality Assurance is More than Testing and IEEE Standard 12207 Software Quality Assurance 0
C 7.6 for a Software Company - Calibrating Unit Testing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Calibration Software Validation - Are there any Testing Tools available? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
Marc Calibration of Software used for Testing Purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Calibration of Software used for testing purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc ISO/IEC 12119 - Software packages - Quality requirements and testing Software Quality Assurance 3
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K IEC 62304 - Testing Independance IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A ANSI/AAMI versions of 60601-1-2 and related testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Mobile Patient Hoists and Electrical Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Inter-operator Variability Testing - Requirements for EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Workplace Drug Testing in 2020 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9