Tests to give our Trained Internal Auditors

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dan Larsen

Personally, I don't know if a structured test is good idea. It can be hard enough getting internal auditors (see Audit Teams - We have trouble keeping auditors)

Adding a test requirement may scare some away.

I do think that performing a practice audit is probably the best test. Place them with a trained auditor for a practice audit and let the trained auditor critique and coach.

If you really want to test them, I think the best test would be to set up some audit scenarios and see how they find compliance or non-compliance. I use this technique during training...not really as a structured "test", but as a vehicle to open up some discussion during the training.

If your interested, let me know...I have these "discussion points" set up as Powerpoint slides and I could e-mail them.

[This message has been edited by Dan Larsen (edited 14 February 2001).]

D

David Mullins

I train my own internal auditors and use a test, and issue a registered certificate. This provides ample proof of competency for snooping external auditors, and gives the internal auditors something to include in their resume/CV package.

------------------

A

Aaron Lupo

Who trained your internal auditors, was it done by you, an outside source?

If they were trained in house, I would just make up a test from the material you used in training them.

If they were trained by an outside source, I would assume they were tested by them, and you could always ask the trainer for a sample test.

I wouldn't just train them (class room type), test them and say ok you can do internal audits now. I would also have them do audits along side you until they can demonstrate proficiency.

Who is doing your internal audits now?

D

Doug Stimson

We do a "test", pre/post test, titled Name That Clause where we site a particular nonconfoamance, then have the participants identify what the ISO clause or sub clause is and why.

We also have a "script of dialog" between an of an audit process where the participants pick out not only the nonconforming situations but also particular auditor traits.ewtc.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
we do role play and critique the auditor...I take the role of auditee and have fun with it, and control the play based on my "lesson" du jour.... Also do a real time audit together...no better test than the practical experience.

barb butrym

we do role play and critique the auditor...I take the role of auditee and have fun with it, and control the play based on my "lesson" du jour.... Also do a real time audit together...no better test than the practical experience.

Also have a crossword/word find puzzle program that I sometimes use...have also heard of a jeopardy game.........

Randy

Super Moderator
This thread is kind of old, but something came up last week during an EMS (14001) Implementation course that I was delivering for my primary training client along the line of the discussion here.

We had been beating up 4.4.2 Training, awareness and competence pretty good and I was emphasizing that it applied for everyone to include Top management (with specific regard to the EMS) and the Internal Auditors, two frequently overlooked types of roles.

My student asked me specifically that if competence had to be shown, why are IA's not given an exam after a course as part being able to meet the requirement. She also specifically asked if I would administer an exam to the many and numerous people she will be sending to one of my next courses for this provider.

I got to thinking about what she said and it made sense. Now there is no way that a test can absolutely show competence, but it can indicate or prove a level understanding and ability similar to the exam given after a Lead Auditor course.

If you guys have your own program and are not currently testing the attendee' maybe you might want to re-visit this. Also take a gander at your courses and compare them to the specifications/guidance in ISO 19011:2002.

Wes Bucey

This concept of testing in some manner to determine competence makes sense to me, too. Good point, Randy!

If you are devising your own tests, let me suggest you revisit

"Six Levels of Cognition"
based on Bloom's Taxonomy (1956)

for a guideline on determining just how well your students comprehend the training. {Google "Bloom's taxonomy" for sources}

Probably the most pertinent level for many of us is Level 6:
Evaluation
Able to make judgments regarding the value of proposed ideas, solutions, methodologies, etc., by using appropriate criteria or standards to estimate accuracy, effectiveness, economic benefits, etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Routine production tests - dielectric voltage withstand test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B IEC 61010-1 - Voltage / Dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Q Old products new class - Dental Devices - Choosing tests EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Supplier flowdown verification of tests and revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 0
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
K Changes in process dispersion, and location hypotheses tests Using Minitab Software 3
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C ABS plastic : which IEC 60601-1 tests to redo? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
J GLP accreditation for mechanical tests of medical device? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Tests IEC 60601-1 - Grounding Resistance, Leakage Current and Dielectric Rigidity in an automated way IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N ECoG/EEG electrodes - Required IEC 60601-1 tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
DinuStan API 6A Chokes - PR1 / PR2 Tests Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
E 2 participants in inter-laboratory comparison tests ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
O Is Patient Cable Exempted from EFT Tests? (IEC 60601-1-2) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Room requirements for electrical tests in devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M EN60601-1-2 4th edition requirements - Tests for devices produced in two options IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
F Sample Size for Biocompatibility Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T List of Tests - IEC 61010-1, 3rd edition and IEC 60601-1, 3.1 edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
W Equipment for Oven Calibration, Uniformity and System Accuracy Tests AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 17025 Section 5.9.1 - Assuring Quality of Tests - Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
K VDA 2 Requirements of Tests for PPA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
W CPU BIST IEC 62304 - Embedded code has CPU instruction tests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K How do you select the right grips for your tensile tests? Imported Legacy Blogs 0
Q Standardized Anodize Coating Tests Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Should Biocompatibility Tests be performed on Production Samples? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
R Medical Device Storage Temperature Tests and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 14
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
K Interpretation of IEC 60601-1-2 Electromagnetic Compatibility – Requirements & tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
K Mandatory Electrical Safety Tests - Regular Production Line IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
G Sample size for IEC 60601-1-11 environmental tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Non-replicable tests in MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
somashekar The Land of Tests ... Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
V Are microbial limit tests required for sterile products? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
P Humidity Pre-Conditioning before leakage current and dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
J Biocompatibility tests in AAA LAC Laboratory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Plastic Compatibility tests with the contact of mucous membranes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T EMC Tests - While certified power supply is part of device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Quality training through tests/quiz style approach Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
I Hypothesis Tests on Proportions Six Sigma 2
Q Removing Inspection (Functional Tests) from a Process Step Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8