Text or Flow Charts? Mixing flow charts and text in procedures

M

mibusha

We are fine tuning our system to be ready for the surveillance audit in October. Some of the departments want to use flow charts rather than text in the procedure book. They say the flow charts are easier to follow. I agree but wonder if it is a good idea to mix flow charts and text in the procedure book. Also if I use flow charts only, is it enough or should I back it up with text?

Michael

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Batman

Hi Michael!

Should you use flow charts or text? What is good for the department(s)? Do that and defend it if needed when scrutinized by your auditors.

When we were developing our procedures for QS9 implementation, flow charts were for us easy to develop with small groups of operators from each of the departments, using the verb / noun step by step, and easily reviewed as a training tool for new employees in those departments. Sometimes a sentence or two with some of the steps is necessary for clarification. This is easily done with most flow chart software. You canb also indicate a particular form that is required, color code critical steps, or "SPC" monitored steps, and so on.

Consider picture procedures. An inexpensive digital camera with a line or two under each picture is another way to flow chart the process. Our customers gushed over our first ones several years ago, demanding copies to take back with them to show their other suppliers.

There are still some who write two to ten page text procedures, attempting to get each step-by-step in some type of order, and nobody reads them. They usually turn out to be either way too detailed, or way to general. I like the flow chart approach.

When I usd to audit - internal and supplier, I looked at "operator instructions" at work sites, and if there was 5 or 6 or more pages of text I usually asked a local operator who wrote it. Almost always there was a shrug and it usually turned out to be somone in the "office," with little or no operator participation. This is not necessarily bad, it can work, but I have often found them to be of little real value.

But do whatever works for your company.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Mixing them should make absolutely no problems. Do the flow charts. They make sense. They're relatively easy and indisputable (interpretation is easy as compared to pages of 'descriptive' text). I can't think of one down side, my self.

Whether or not you use 'extra' text depends upon the complexity. The test is to ask whether someone can take the flow chart and understand what to do. Sometimes you might need some clarifying text. Many times I have seen flow charts preceeded by a page (sometimes 2 or 3 pages) of 'preamble' such as related documents, definitions, etc. But this is your call.

Yeah - go with the flow charts.

A

Andy Bassett

For me there is no contest, flowcharts everytime.
I have developed the following system. Use ony three types of boxes in ther chart;
Start/Finish
Activity (ie something is actually done)
Question (If/Then)
If documents are created or used sometime in the process, show their exact name is bold italic print.
On the right hand side of the flowchart have a column for who actually is responsible for activity, and next to it another column for who actually receive the information.

Personally i also make someone responsible for the whole process, this is useful, because if a process is correctly defined it will cut across department boundaries and avoid the responsibility falling down the cracks between the departments.

I have not doen it yet but i also like the idea of colour coding flowcharts depending which person or department is responsible for the activity.

------------------
Andy B

IMO, considering how often work instructions are used and the endless discussions they create we are better off with out them.
Training and visual aids integrated into Mfg. cells is more effective and much easier to control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Flow Charts in Excel - 'autoshape' and add text commands Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 8
N Document Formats: Text Procedures vs. Flow Charts (Process Maps) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 42
G Document Format - Flow Charts vs. Strictly Linear Text for Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Procedure as per TS 16949 - Consultant changed text procedure to flow chart Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 49
C Medical Device Molded Parts with Text on Them EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M I am looking for the text of the copyright 'rules' for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M Final rule on use of symbols on labeling - Symbols without text under some conditions Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
J Macro Question: Get Column Name by Column Number / or Use Text constant to link on a Using Minitab Software 1
O Importing Data via Script - Assign Column as Text (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 3
somashekar Clause 7.5.5. as in the text and in the Annex B (ISO13485:2003) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Minitab - Using the INSERT command to copy-paste text from and to a worksheet Using Minitab Software 6
S Use of Exact Text with the Graphical Symbols in User Guides EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Resolution V Factorial Design with 5 factors (3 numerical and two text) Using Minitab Software 1
1 Excel 2010 Conditional Formating of Text Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
D Changing Text Procedures into Flowcharts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
B Descriptive Statistics where the Data Type is Text? Using Minitab Software 4
Gert Sorensen Validation of our Statistical Software - Statistical "text book" examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
2 Minor Document Change Control - Minor text changes to work procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
R Combination of Text and Flowchart based Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Marc Block unwanted text messages on your Apple iPhone World News 5
Z Subsetting based on values in a text column in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
Marc NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions reference text World News 0
R Text associated with EN 980 Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
Marc 2016 Bug Hits Text Messages, Payment Processing After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
P 8.2.3.1 - What is the meaning of this text? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Minitab Macro-Command 'NUMERIC' to convert a text column to an numeric column Using Minitab Software 8
smryan Excel Cell or Text Formatting help Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 27
S CE Mark - What is the meaning of CE or CE0050(text inserted here) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
smryan How to get chart to ignore text/blank? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
P Problem with text verification - Text of the auditor certificate Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Minitab Pareto Chart Text Adjustment Using Minitab Software 10
S 14001 text (html) & on-line management systems ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
ScottK Can anyone recommend good Project Management Text Books Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Antonio Vieira Learn any language! Text to Speech - It's easy to speak for example Portuguese After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
D ISO 9004 in a text format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R UL Requirements - Received a variation notice - Safety caution text Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M Text Documentation - There is such a thing as overkill Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G ISO 9001 Procedures: Flowchart vs. Text - Pros and Cons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
apestate Keeping Procedures Simple - 15 person machine shop using text procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Design Exclusion Text - Will an auditor buy this? Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
H Can flowcharts replace text based Procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 57
B Exclusion of Design - Problem if we were to design? & Sample exclusion Text Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
N Definition Discovery Audit - Can someone give me a text book definition? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
D Where can I buy 10 CFR Part 21 in either PDF or Text format? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
C Basic Text MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Procedure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G New CAPA Work Flow with Revised 8D Approach Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35