The 2 Page AS9100 Quality Manual

P

Phiobi

I'm calling all you guys for some help here!

For years I have been troubled by my 29 page quality manual. I have read many articles and threads in envy on the 2 page quality manual. I have always distanced myself from it thinking I could never implement it in an aerospace environment.

In November I attended an AS9100 Rev C course and vowed that by June 2010 my QMS would be the perfect example of using the process approach.
Since then I have reviewed my procedures, mapped my top level process and documented the way I will change all of my procedures, reduce them from the inherited 64 procedures to 20 :D and I have now completed the procedure to cover clause 4.

Getting to my point, today I finally convinced myself that applying my new found devotion to the process approach meant that I could achieve the 2 page quality manual.... I finalised it, checked it, audited it AND presented it to my MD!
His face was a picture, just before he fell off his seat at the 27 page reduction he looked at me and said " I love it, just the kind of thing we need to progress the company, the old manual wasn't read and added zero value"

After I sat down and thought about the implications he calmly said "if you can demonstrate that this will be acceptable to the customers and certification body I'll present it to the CEO next Tuesday"

This might not sound much but currently we have one quality manual for 4 sites with independent procedures and his plan is to role this 2 page manual out company / group wide :mg:

We agreed that Elsmar Cove and some carefully selected customers were the way to seek approval....

So, my question is.... Does anybody out there:

a) Use a 2 page quality manual in an aerospace environment?
b) Have any experience (positive or negative) with 2 page quality manuals?
c) Know of any primes with a particular aversion to a 2 page manual?

All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated :thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Phill, I hope you are well and well done on 'grasping the nettle' and reducing your quality manual. As you will have seen from other threads (albeit ISO 9001 not AS 9100), opinion is divided as to the merits of the traditional manual versus the 'mini manual'.

I have had reactions regarding the 2 page version ranging from "what a great idea, I wish I had known this years ago" to "well if that is what you think of quality ..."

It obviously depends upon the business sector and perhaps even individual customers. Why not ask your major customers directly what they think? Send them a copy, explaining why you have done it and ask for their opinions. We at the Cove can offer opinions and quote requirements from standards but ultimately it is what your customers think that will matter most.

P

Phiobi

Hi Phill, I hope you are well and well done on 'grasping the nettle' and reducing your quality manual. As you will have seen from other threads (albeit ISO 9001 not AS 9100), opinion is divided as to the merits of the traditional manual versus the 'mini manual'.

I have had reactions regarding the 2 page version ranging from "what a great idea, I wish I had known this years ago" to "well if that is what you think of quality ..."

It obviously depends upon the business sector and perhaps even individual customers. Why not ask your major customers directly what they think? Send them a copy, explaining why you have done it and ask for their opinions. We at the Cove can offer opinions and quote requirements from standards but ultimately it is what your customers think that will matter most.
I will be sending it out to some of my customers including our biggest % of business customer, Boeing.

I'm pretty sure I can explain the gains and how it meets requirements, guess I'm looking for a warm feeling from others on here that it can work in an aerospace environment.

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Bear in mind that (certainly for 9K) you do not need a separate document at all. If you have an electronic description of your management system, it is perfectly acceptable to have the required constituent parts of the (so-called) manual accessible in different places in your published system.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Bear in mind that (certainly for 9K) you do not need a separate document at all. If you have an electronic description of your management system, it is perfectly acceptable to have the required constituent parts of the (so-called) manual accessible in different places in your published system.
Peter,

So all the organization now has to do is provide a table of contents? :D

Stijloor.

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Peter,

So all the organization now has to do is provide a table of contents? :D

Stijloor.
I would hope that it has a more sophisticated navigation system than just a list!

But if you mean "provide to a third party" then that is a different ball-game. That comes down to who wants what for what reason - and what benefit will they get from getting it... (9K certainly doesn't explain any of that)

D

DrM2u

All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated :thanks:
I have used a one-sheet of paper quality manual for a while now. The sheet is printed on both sides, folded in three like a flyer, and often used by sales when visiting customers or at trade shows. Most of the executives were skeptical that one sheet of paper satisfied the requirements. Also some of the CB auditors were reluctant to accept it but had no choice after it was demonstrated that the manual addressed all the requirements. Now, I have used this approach for both ISO 9001 and ISO 13485, but not for AS9001 (had no opportunity).

I have previously attached a sample of this type of quality manual for reference, in case you want to take a look at it. It can be found by searching the Post Attachements List (see green link at the top) for a document called Sample Quality Manual. The manual was created in MS Publisher with a merged flow chart from Visio. Let us know how your new quality manual works.:agree1:

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions

There was an article by Mike Micklewright in Quality Digest a few years back regarding a 2-page quality manual. Just out of curiousity, I forwarded that article to my qualty registrar at the time to ask him his opinion. (This was for an ISO9001:2000 registration, not AS9100.) He said he agreed with it in theory but the shortest manual he felt comfortable with was 13 pages. That was his commentary.

My quality manual addresses three quality systems, is over 50 pages, is hardily read, and has little value. I would love to go to a 2 page manual. It becomes a matter of who the quality manual is written for, an auditor or for the company. I would think it would be and should be the latter. That's my commentary.

A

alspread

I'm very interested in finding out what your feedback has been (particularly your customers). I'm am currently working for a client that is converting from ISO9000 to AS9100C. There documentation is pretty messy after several years of poor maintenance and additions, etc.

We are hoping to schedule an audit to AS9100C late this summer and I am pushing for a 2 page quality manual. I think it will work out just fine. AS9100 has the same requirements for the Quality manual as ISO9000. Technically, there should be no difference.

The manual I have built is 2 pages (without the cover, diagrams, and rev history). I have listed all of the procedures and will set up hyper-links for users to jump to the document of choice. There is an inter-relationship diagram with the procedures noted and it graphically shows how the system works. All of the procedures are numbered to correspond to the clauses of the standard.

I'm going for it. Let me know how you make out.

Good luck

J

JaneB

My quality manual addresses three quality systems, is over 50 pages, is hardily read, and has little value.
Yuk. If it's hardly read and has little value... I'd change it.
It becomes a matter of who the quality manual is written for, an auditor or for the company. I would think it would be and should be the latter.
Mine too.
There was an article by Mike Micklewright in Quality Digest a few years back regarding a 2-page quality manual. Just out of curiousity, I forwarded that article to my qualty registrar at the time to ask him his opinion. (This was for an ISO9001:2000 registration, not AS9100.) He said he agreed with it in theory but the shortest manual he felt comfortable with was 13 pages. That was his commentary.
Really? 13 huh? Not 12, and not 14, but 13. Ridiculous. :sarcasm:
Look, ultimately the page count is immaterial. WHat matters is having something that works for your company, is useful and meets the requirements of the Standard(s) in question. (Notice the order I've put those things in).

What he 'feels comfortable' with is completely immaterial provided you meet the requirements. I'm not really interested in an auditor's comfort level - it's your company, not his. And if that's how the CB operates... have you thought about finding one that's more customer focussed and open-minded?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ajit Basrur Where to find a pagination requirement as "Page x of y"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
S EN 300 328 V2.2.1 page 73 - Receiver Blocking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S IFU on web page - Consequences if the most recent one is not uploaded EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
Marc Latest Posts in Right Sidebar on the Forum Listing Home Page Forum News and General Information 6
L Page Numbering requirement for DHR Report Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
smryan Excel Printing Glitch - How to STOP Printing One Cell per Page Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 10
T Printing a single Page from a Quality Manual Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Anyone Practicing Approval Signatures on Every Page of a Doc? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R ERAI - Counterfeit Component Database (Listed on page 39 of AS5553A) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B Gage R&R Criteria on page 78 MSA Reference Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
W The 2nd printing of the AWS D17.1 2010 which was 2011 - Page missing? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
B MSA 4th edition reference manual - Page 120-121 Clarification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
x-files Responsibilities Highlighted on the First Page of a Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Are signatures required on every page of a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
C How to achieve Page Ownership with a Wiki Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P ISO 9001:2008 - I'm missing page 3 in my copy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Shewhart Control Chart - ISO/TS 13530:2009(E), Page 22. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P New Renault CSRs (Customer Specific Requirements) on IATF page Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
M Product Quality Planning Resposibility Matrix (APQP manual page 2) APQP and PPAP 3
B IEC 60601-1 3rd Edition adoption - I cant find this standard on the ISO page Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
Marc 6 August 1991 - First page on the World Wide Web publicly available After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
N Gauge Performance Curve - MSA Manual Page 181 (4th Edtion) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
N Must you Sign on every Page of A Calibration Report General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Rameshwar25 MSA Manual 4th Edition, Page 100 - What is wrong in the Linearity graph? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Cp calculation on page 193 of the MSA 3rd edition May 2003 with %GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Bias Study - Use of 't' statistic - Page 88 item 8 of v4 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Employees not owning their 40 page Routers/Travelers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
P News from IATF page - New SI and FAQ for Rules ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
M Anova confidence intervals calculation - MSA 3rd edition page 122 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E Gage Run Chart Analysis - Page 105 MSA manual 3th edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Bias Study - How can I calculate significant 't' value? Page 87-90 of MSA manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
O Problems calculating the observed CP - Page 19, AIAG MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Q Suggestions on what to put on an Employee ISO 9001 Intranet page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Marc Google's Klingon (and other languages) Search Page After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
P Please comment on revision status of document on a per page basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 25
ScottK Make sure to read the en.Wikipedia home page today After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Hershal Social groups...... See link at the top of the page Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Quality Manual Review and Approval - For each & every page? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 12
D Peugeot-Citroen PPAP - Version for editing a page in English PPAP for PSA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
W 510(k) submission - Questions about page 2 of form 3654 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S How to calculate Bias - MSA Third Edition book on page 85 to 88 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
F Linearity Analysis - MSA 3rd edition, March 2002 page 93 formulas Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Ajit Basrur The new FDA internet home page - March 2008 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Does ISO require that documents/procedures have a page/list of revision histories? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
I AEC Q200 REV C, page 58 of 111, Appendix 2 - PPAP Table Explaination Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
ScottK 2007 ASQ (American Society for Quality) Salary Survey - Figure 1 on page 31 Career and Occupation Discussions 7
BradM A Web Page with Common Internet Web Site Links as Icons After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0