The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application

Q

qalsang

Hi

Under above clause 7.6 , it is states that

" The ability of computer software to satisfied the intended application shall be confirmed."

- How to do this ?
- Can anyone provide an example?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Amine.arafa

Re: The ability of computer software to satisfied the intended application

Hi qalsang
To answer this requirement, I entered datas with already known results to the software, and cheked if I had the right answer from the measurement system.
The example in my case is a home made software for Xbar s chart, to validate it I used the datas from AIAG 2nd edition SPC and it gave me the same chart, it was accepted by our CB auditor.
The other covers might have more methods and examples to answer your questions if you have a more specfic software
Best regards
Amine

C

CRYOSILVER

NPL put out a good practice guide that covers validation of software. I'd post a link, but my post count is too low, but if you google "Software Support for Metrology Best Practice Guide No. 1" it pops up.

That might make a good starting point.

T

ThinkingQuality

Hello - new to the forum, but I have a similar issue - after years of ISO certification, with no scope change the auditor called upon us to verify our Engineering Design Software - not used for measurements or monitor, used for engineering design. These software packages include StaadPro, PipeFlo, Ceasar etc. They are used for calculations and modelling and not for measuring or monitoring.

Anyway, my question is what suggestions are out there for addressing this 'stretch' of the standard under 7.6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello - new to the forum, but I have a similar issue - after years of ISO certification, with no scope change the auditor called upon us to verify our Engineering Design Software - not used for measurements or monitor, used for engineering design. These software packages include StaadPro, PipeFlo, Ceasar etc. They are used for calculations and modelling and not for measuring or monitoring.

Anyway, my question is what suggestions are out there for addressing this 'stretch' of the standard under 7.6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

As this is design software, I would ask for clarification and what specifically they are citing under 7.6. Since your software is commercially available and purpose-built for the task it does, I am sure the manufacturer has proven their software before selling it. When you acquired the software it would have been "suitable for [your] use". As long as it still meets all the current standards that you subscribe to, it should still be suitable.

Maybe contacting the manufacturer, or checking their website, to see if there are any known issues/bugs with the version that you have that they would have issued a patch for? :confused:

I

isoalchemist

Yes, I'd push back on the auditor for some clarification. They might be able to find an issue in other parts of the standard, i.e. validation, but based on what you've stated I can't see an issue with 7.6.

S

soc1214

Agree with the others on this, push back on the auditor to site specific non-conformance.

We also only use design software (CATIA, NASTRAN/PATRAN), I was able to explain with some assistance from the engineering group, how what they are using is equivalent to using pen and paper. That stopped the auditor in his tracks, as we were not customizing the software for our needs.

M

Mallya

I think it's just a matter of verification on site; I would advise to use data of known results and check the software can deliver as intended, and then you keep the records.

Regards

Benny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How to confirm the ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L How to demonstrate one's ability in an interview Career and Occupation Discussions 8
T Losing faith in ability to succeed Career and Occupation Discussions 14
Claes Gefvenberg Reading ability - The prospective auditor could not read Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 25
P Definition Positive (Immediate) Recall - The ability to trace items forward and backward Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
S Computer System Validation of Bioinformatics Pipeline Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Implanted Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Devices for Patients with Paralysis or Amputation – Non-clinical Testing and Clinical Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F EMC testing for a system that is provided with a computer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Use of password managers on validated computer systems (21 CFR Part 11) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
L How to classify this computer-alike IT device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
U CE Marking of Customized Ruggedised Computer Systems Solutions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Computer Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Computer stations unlocked - Office Stations vs Production Stations Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
howste ASQ is Transitioning to Computer Based Exams ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
R Network/Computer Data Migration Sampling GMP Software Quality Assurance 1
E Computer System Validation - Migrating to SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
N Computer System Access and Security Procedure example wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Strategy to allow for OTS computer use as part of a Medical Equipment System EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Validation of Computer and Network Equipment Test System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Computer System for Inspection Balloons in Technical Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Class II Medical Device with Software - Change to Computer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Is a computer used in hospitals considered a medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Marc Shopping for Computer Spyware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Q 21 CFR 820.30 - Automated with Computer Software - Applicable? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Options for OTS Computer as part of Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Is Computer Helpdesk a Special Process ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Computer Viruses Are "Rampant" on Medical Devices in Hospitals World News 0
I Confirmation of Computer Software to satisfy Intended Application Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
N Complying with ISO 9001 7.6 - Customer Provided Computer and Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Gages on Computer Screens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Life after the Personal Computer After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
A Suggest Computer Aided Quality Assurance (CAQ) software for Medical Devices Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
F Traceability Requirements for Computer Hardware Equipment under ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Computer Monitoring - Our company is implementing keyloggers IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 11
X Computer-Aided Detection for Mammography - Class A, B or C? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
N 7.5.2.1 Validation of the Application of the Computer Software - PLEASE CLARIFY ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Best Way for SPC via Optical Comparator with output to Computer for Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Malware affecting my computer operation After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
S Computer Simulation Validation Tests for Underwater Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K I.T. Management in Clause 4.2.3? Control of Computer Data Backup and Access Security ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I CE Mark for Standalone Medical Computer Monitoring Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Marc AIDS Puzzle Solved By Computer Gamers World News 1
M Medical Diagnostic Equipment Control Computer Repair Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Medical Device FDA - Classification of a device used as an interface with a computer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Medical Device Manufacturer Document Control Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4