The Aerospace ICOP Scheme - Concerns over the Scheme's Efficacy/Effectiveness

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Is it because of an administration thing or an operational thing?
As you know, ANAB does not disclose the reasons for CB suspension. So, I have no way of knowing it. The interesting thing is:since the inception of the ICOP Scheme, the number of CB suspensions is way high and concentrated on the CB Aerospace scope of accreditation. Which indicates (to me, at least) that the Aerospace Industry is putting pressure on AB's.

Randy

Super Moderator
I figured the rumor mill mught be working better for you than for me. I've been so busy in "my" world that I've pretty much blocked all the non-essential stuff out.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I figured the rumor mill mught be working better for you than for me. I've been so busy in "my" world that I've pretty much blocked all the non-essential stuff out.
I consider anything that might be denigrating the integrity of the accredited certification process very important.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I wrote an article for Quality Digest on the issue of potential upcoming changes to the ICOP Scheme. The article is available via this link.
Any <constructive> feedback on the article would be appreciated.
AS9100.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jeff Frost

Sidney

Just completed reading your article about the ICOP issues and was wondering if you can answer the following if possible:

When AAQG holds its CB auditor workshop in Long Beach, California in July 14-15, 2008 will this be open to all parties involved in the process (customers of CB’s) or just CB auditors?

What happed to the OEM oversight of the CB’s? I remember when AS9100A was rolled out our CB explained that OEMs would be performing oversight audits of the CBs and to expect that at some point there might be an OEM auditor performing a witness audit of our CB auditor during one of our regularly scheduled surveillance audits.

By the way I think your article address many of the CB auditor issues we have seen here on the cove, Thank you.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
When AAQG holds its CB auditor workshop in Long Beach, California in July 14-15, 2008 will this be open to all parties involved in the process (customers of CB’s) or just CB auditors?
The target audience for the workshop is the CB auditors and people involved with training CB auditors, but I believe that they have not closed the door to other interested parties. If they reach capacity, they might dismiss people who do not currently work as a CB auditor, but I am not sure if we would reach capacity of the room. Check the information available via the link below:
RMC Meetings/Workshops
What happed to the OEM oversight of the CB’s? I remember when AS9100A was rolled out our CB explained that OEMs would be performing oversight audits of the CBs and to expect that at some point there might be an OEM auditor performing a witness audit of our CB auditor during one of our regularly scheduled surveillance audits.
The oversight of AB's, CB's and auditors is happening and it will probably be augmented. One of the current concerns is that the sample of witnessed audits is too small. Check this link for a presentation on the ICOP Other Party Management Team "state of the union" .

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
At the outset of another RMC meeting, and getting closer to the release of 9104-1 and 9104-2, it looks like significant changes will be implemented in the ICOP scheme.

Examples of proposed changes:

Audit-days: The new tables in the 9104-1 document should increase audit days for 9100/9110/9120 audits and, basically, eliminate, potential reductions. The only allowable reduction will be when an organization is not responsible for the design of the products.

Auditor rotation: No audit team leader can be assigned for an organization beyond two certification cycles (i.e., 6 years).

Auditor re-assignment request: The registrant will have to soundly substantiate their request for an auditor re-assignment. The idea is that if auditor does his/her job and reports significant non-conformities, the organization should not be able to request that auditor NOT to come back, for spurious reasons, in order to avoid future thorough audits.

Certificate transfer: No certificate transfer from a CB to another would be possible until all NC's issued by the current CB are satisfactorily closed. Further, the new CB must perform a site visit before they issue a new certificate.

Transition to 17021: If a CB misses the September 15 transition deadline, ANAB stated that they will be automatically dis-accredited. According to an IAQG resolution, if a CB loses it's accreditation, it can not re-apply to the ICOP Scheme for a minimum of 12 months.

Multiple sites covered in a single certificate: Several proposed changes. Main issue is the estimation of audit days for each site.

Soft grading: If an auditor is caught "soft grading" NC's, the CB will be suspended.

More to come... Next AAQG/RMC meeting in Seattle, in September.

Last edited:
Top Bottom