The application of Design Controls to IVDs

J

Julie O

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the application of design controls to IVDs. I think that's because most of my experience is with traditional medical devices, and I inherently balk at the idea of "designing" an IVD. Does anyone here have experience with the application of design controls to IVDs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Julie- IVD = In Vitro Diagnostics?

can you expand upon what you find difficult?

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the application of design controls to IVDs. I think that's because most of my experience is with traditional medical devices, and I inherently balk at the idea of "designing" an IVD. Does anyone here have experience with the application of design controls to IVDs?
Julie

An IVD is not a traditional medical device in that many of the requirements are regulatory in nature, and not typical user requirements. I am going to leave out any instrumentation from this discussion, as that would follow normal DC and risk analysis. Typical user requirement might be time to first result, false positive/negative rates, storage conditions (refrigerated vs. room temp) or sample prep (serum vs. plasma). Once you have the user requirements, the normal DC process is followed with V&V testing the culmination of the activity. Are there any specific questions you have?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D API 6D Monogram application "Design Package"? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
L MSA application to Continuous Conformance and Design Engineering Test Laboratories Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U GMDN CODES application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Monolithic application and medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R CAMBODIA - Application of AMDD Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Application of mains voltage on SIP/SOP connectors of medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Informational EU – Application of transitional provisions concerning validity of certificates issued in accordance to Directives 90/385/EEC and 93/42/EEC Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Validating my own application developed with Agile Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO 18091 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in local government Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
M Informational MDCG 2019-2 Guidance on application of UDI rules to device-part of products referred to in Article 1(8), 1(9) and 1(10) of Regulation 745/2017 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Medical Device News NB-Med and Team-NB have jointly edited a white paper entitled “White Paper – One Year of Application” Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
supadrai Informational Japan Minor Change Notification Application Form - Found it? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
M Some possible misunderstandings on the application of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
K Need feedback: FMEA Web Application FMEA and Control Plans 5
I FAR Part 43 and Application to 17025 Accredited Cal Lab Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
B Request for Information; Application for Accreditation Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
Y Application of IEC/EN 62304 at an advanced stage of software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
M What is considered an "Audit Day" for OASIS AEA application? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Ajit Basrur CDRH Premarket Approval Application Critical to Quality Pilot Program US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Sidney Vianna Blockchain Technology - Any examples of practical application? The Reading Room 21
V Delete Restrictions to be enabled AT BOTH Operating System & Application Levels Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Is it legal to attend a trade show while you have a 510(k) application pending? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Zinc Oxide as a Topical Application EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Application of ISO 9001:2015 Clause Interpretations for Service Industries Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A IRCA Application Form Fill - Guidance ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 22
V Application and differences of OC Curve and Acceptance Sampling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Employment Application Form - Controlled or Not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
JoCam Format of Health Canada pre-market licence application Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/TS 9002 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C Flow meter for medical device application Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Colin Application of ISO 13485 to a Medical Device distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Inquiry for Class II medical device licence amendment application Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
C Mobile Application which collects Physiological Data from a Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M IMDRF document - Application of QMS to SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8