SBS - The best value in QMS software

"The best golf course in the world"

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
The Scottish Parliament has just given outline planning approval for Donald Trump to build two 18-hole championship courses, four blocks of 950 timeshare flats, 500 "exclusive" homes, 36 villas, a golf academy, and housing for 400 staff, just north of Aberdeen in Scotland. There will also be a coast road, named Trump Boulevard. [The local plan does not (sorry, did not) include such extensive housing development in the area]

Ministers have overridden legal protection for part of the Foveran links, a legally protected system of naturally shifting sand dunes. It is designated a site of special scientific interest under EU legislation. The plan is for the "back nine" holes of the main 18-hole course to be built over part of the dunes, despite the protests from Trump's own ecologists and Scottish Natural Heritage that this is unnecessarily destructive. Trump has refused to move that section of the course, and overruled his own environmental experts, telling the planning inquiry in June that he didn't do "half-assed" - it had to be all or nothing, he told the inspectors. The inspectors ruled that the damage to the dunes was outweighed by the resort's substantial value to the economy.

This judgment was challenged by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. "It appears that the desires of one high-profile overseas developer, who refused to compromise one inch, have been allowed to override the legal protection of this important site," said Aedan Smith, RSPB Scotland's head of planning.
(Quotes from the Guardian newspaper)

The Trump Organisation claims that it will be "the best golf course in the world". [By the way, Jack Nicklaus and Paul Lawrie both recently had new golf course developments approved within 15 miles of Aberdeen as well]

I wonder if there are any "quality", “sustainability” or “corporate social responsibility” lessons to be learned from this…

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
The Scottish Parliament has just given outline planning approval for Donald Trump to build two 18-hole championship courses, four blocks of 950 timeshare flats, 500 "exclusive" homes, 36 villas, a golf academy, and housing for 400 staff, just north of Aberdeen in Scotland. There will also be a coast road, named Trump Boulevard. [The local plan does not (sorry, did not) include such extensive housing development in the area]

Ministers have overridden legal protection for part of the Foveran links, a legally protected system of naturally shifting sand dunes. It is designated a site of special scientific interest under EU legislation. The plan is for the "back nine" holes of the main 18-hole course to be built over part of the dunes, despite the protests from Trump's own ecologists and Scottish Natural Heritage that this is unnecessarily destructive. Trump has refused to move that section of the course, and overruled his own environmental experts, telling the planning inquiry in June that he didn't do "half-assed" - it had to be all or nothing, he told the inspectors. The inspectors ruled that the damage to the dunes was outweighed by the resort's substantial value to the economy.

This judgment was challenged by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. "It appears that the desires of one high-profile overseas developer, who refused to compromise one inch, have been allowed to override the legal protection of this important site," said Aedan Smith, RSPB Scotland's head of planning.
(Quotes from the Guardian newspaper)

The Trump Organisation claims that it will be "the best golf course in the world". [By the way, Jack Nicklaus and Paul Lawrie both recently had new golf course developments approved within 15 miles of Aberdeen as well]

I wonder if there are any "quality", “sustainability” or “corporate social responsibility” lessons to be learned from this…
When I was an active investment banker, we had a "truism" about developers:
"If they can get OPM [other people's money], they'll build in a desert or a swamp and let somebody else worry about paying off the loans."

Well . . .
I guess the community which is against Trump's plans needs to organize better to protest and thus sway the politicians who were seduced by visions of presiding over a grand metropolis.

Trump HAS been thwarted on other plans - as we say in the USA,
"It ain't over 'til it's over!"

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions
I doubt that the prospectus for "The best golf course in the world" would mention that it rains most days, visibility is often poor and winds rarely let up... but then again I'm not a golfer :tg:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
The best golf course for me would be the one where the green us cupped so my putts actually go in the holes.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I doubt that the prospectus for "The best golf course in the world" would mention that it rains most days, visibility is often poor and winds rarely let up... but then again I'm not a golfer :tg:
That may be why Scotland has created an excellent prophylactic against the rain and wind - "single malt!"

The great entertainer, Jackie Gleason, remarked about the curative powers of such beverages for vision:
"Drinking removes warts and pimples. Not from me, but from those I look at!”

C

Craig H.

Since this is the best course in the world, I assume that there are no trees, no sand, and all of the water is contained in coolers?

Peter Fraser

You obviously know the North East of Scotland!

The thick sea fog which can shroud the coast (and some miles inland) from time to time is locally known as "haar". If the course ever gets built, I expect the local newspaper to report "Another bad haar day for Donald Trump...".

Peter Fraser

My original post was really to do with how customer needs and expectations were or were not being met / who decides on "the product" (the customer or the supplier)? / how you can claim that a product is "the best golf course in the world" when it is impossible to define or justify (in the same way as you cannot prove that someone is the "most handsome, or most arrogant, in the world"!) / how important legal compliance is / whether a customers' reputation can be damaged (or enhanced) by buying from a supplier - and if (or how) such "quality" concepts can be applied to this type of "transaction".

J

Jimmy the Brit

You obviously know the North East of Scotland!

The thick sea fog which can shroud the coast (and some miles inland) from time to time is locally known as "haar". If the course ever gets built, I expect the local newspaper to report "Another bad haar day for Donald Trump...".
Speaking of Haar, has anyone else noticed how the grass on the Foveran dunes looks just like Trumps weave? Maybe that's why he likes it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q How do you find best local distributors (UK/Europe)? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
P DFMEA - Machinery Design Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 0
G Best way to calc uncert for measuring microscope without duplicating repeatability? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
P Best european location to set up for a virtual medical device manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
optomist1 Best Optical Comparators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
M Best profilometer for the money General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
I Non-Conformance vs OFI -- your best descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 61
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
R Bill of Materials for a complex product - Industry best practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D What is the best software used for the pharma compliance management? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA launches consultation on how to best engage patients and the public Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 Mobility Field Manufacturing Best - Worst Practices Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N Best practices for capturing audit objective evidence in a practical manner? Internal Auditing 3
S How to Learn all aspects of ISO 27001:2013 | The best way to grab the knowledge on 27001:2013 (Step by Step) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
I Best visual description for SOPs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Z Best Practices - small volume medical device tube cutting (0.020" to 0.080" OD)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Over-labelling - Any requirements or best-practices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Which clause would best fit this Nonconformance? (Supplier Related) Internal Auditing 2
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Expiry date vs. Best Before Date - Reagents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
E Best GD&T training - Your suggestions and recommendations please Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Ron Rompen Best Practices in CMM Correlation Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Best place is to purchase IEC 60417 labels that will pass markings test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
P Best approach to tackle difficult certifications Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E Best Ways to Close a Project APQP and PPAP 3
S Opinions on the "Best" CMM for High Accuracy Machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C What is the best ISO 22000 template pack to purchase? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
M Best Type of Grease for Vex Plastic Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 5