The biggest gaps and problems in QMS or Quality in Automotive

michajel86

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,
I am doing a small research , so I will be glad to hear from you all .
What are the biggest problems with QMS that you are facing in the automotive sector .
I would like to see your opinions ,so I will not add any prescribed options to choose from .

I just want to know what exactly you see ,as the gap in system in your company.

Thank you very much for EVERY response.

:thanks:
Michael.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource
Re: The biggest gaps in QMS or quality in Automotive

QMS is a pretty broad swath to critique. But I will give it a shot.

I visit factories all over the globe and get to see how different regions do things differently.

The biggest weakness I see around the globe is the amassing of data and then not doing anything with it. There's lots of energy when something is a repeat issue, yet, there are lots of repeat issues. I haven't seen what I would call a good system for the proper handling of data and then the leveraging of this into a searchable resource to prevent repeat issues. I see lots and LOTS of different measurements being archived, and then not trended and analyzed. It's like everyone wants to know if records are being kept and if they are - just being kept - it's good. Nobody does much following up with are you DOING anything with all this data? Looking for trends and patterns? It's just not done. It's promoting a culture of reacting to quality problems. And the sense of "getting better" comes from experience in doing so. Once you have resolved 20 quality spills, you get good at it. This alone makes you faster/more efficient with the false sense things are getting "better." Better is the next launch/design, whatever, not carrying forward the mistakes. We don't do well at that.

Second would be just knowledge of quality topics. I used to be in a different industry than automotive. When I moved into automotive I was scared - it's the big leagues now - I was worried I would have to brush up on my statistics, concepts of the quality tools, everything. What I found was most people weren't at my level. And my "level" was pretty normal in the industry I left. Automotive has a lot more overhead positions - it's more compartmentalized. So my experience has been people have become more like tools than technicians. You have this kind of problem? You need to call THAT guy ... he's the expert. Different problem? You need to call a different expert.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
In addition to what ncwalker said, I would add poor understanding of root cause analysis and lack of verification of effectiveness for corrective actions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What foreign language proficiency would give the biggest edge to medical device regulatory affairs professionals in the world today or in future? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
P Bad communication in construction projects are probably the biggest generators Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V Biggest bottleneck/hurdle in Implementation of Effective Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
N Sampling Plan for Small Low Volume Shops - Biggest order was 200 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Y The 3 Biggest Obstacles You Faced when you start to apply improvement projects Six Sigma 24
Le Chiffre The Biggest Obstacle of Personnel Performance Reviews? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
J Ranking Forbes Automobile industries. The World's Biggest Public Companies World News 14
J Just Gotta Brag... Top honors as a supplier to our biggest customer World News 8
Marc Shanghai GM sets the stage for a price war - The biggest car seller in China World News 0
ccochran The 10 Biggest Quality Mistakes The Reading Room 90
Marc Biggest Wi-Fi Cloud Is in Rural Oregon After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
J Job Offer: Six Sigma Black Belt vs. SQE for one of Biggest Auto supplier Career and Occupation Discussions 15
C Learning Curves - Biggest Process "VARIABLE" is mobile workforce ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
alonFAI Gaps between the Bobbin and the Ferrite Core in a Transformer Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Listing the gaps between EN ISO 14630:2012 and recent vesions Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Identifying gaps over ISO 13485 to be compliant to MDD 93/42/EEC requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L IEC 60601-1 3rd edition Clause 9.2.2 Trapping Zone (Acceptable Gaps) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D Incomplete DHF: Re-do or plug gaps? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Explaining Gaps in Employment History Career and Occupation Discussions 56
S Depicting Communication Flow Gaps between Departments/Process Steps on a Process Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
N Communication Gaps... Grrrrr..... Imported Legacy Blogs 3
S What are the common Problems preventing (Gaps) Implementation of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S New problems exporting to Germany - February 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Tapping problems - 3/8" hot roll pickled & oiled steel - seeking expertise Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Marc Problems - Contacting Us about Problems (How To - Etc.) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Youtube - Viewing problems Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 4
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Problems while documenting the SOUPs used for the software we are developing IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
L Relying on Suppliers - Most Quality and Warranty problems are caused by Suppliers Supply Chain Security Management Systems 5
I Request an FDA GUDID Account - Problems Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Document Review Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L How to avoid Nonconformance Reoccurrence problems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
C Software Process Implementation Problems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K Bottle Labeling Machine Problems - Non conformance in FCMG industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
T Contacting the Supplier's CB vs a Supplier Audit - Nonconformance Problems AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Peter Fraser Problems and Deficiencies with the ISO 9001:2015 Draft ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Quality problems that cost Millions of dollars (or euros, or pounds, etc.) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
S Common Electric Fan Motor Problems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M FDA Warning Letter - Product Association with Search Engine Results - Problems Ahead? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Problems with Unrealistic Customer Expectations Customer Complaints 12
AnaMariaVR2 Chronic Regulatory Compliance Issues Causing Drug Shortages & Safety Problems Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1