SBS - the best value in QMS software

The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013 - 2014

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Prepare to welcome back the content farms to your search results. All of them.

I was doing some searches on terms Elsmar used to rank highly for last year. These days sites like Ask.com, Ehow and "the usual subjects" (large companies) are back - Often they fill the whole page not counting the paid ads results.

To those of you who have been on the internet for a while, what is your opinion of Google search these days?

If you use other search engines, what do you use?

What search strategies do you use?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

kgott

Re: The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013

I saw a TED presentation a year or so ago in which it was stated that the internet will be tailorised to suit each users details. Therefore what one sees when getting on the net will be different for each person. I frequent and international forum based in the US and in that I see advertisements for goods and services from my home town????

I have read that google makes sure that when doing a search for a type of website that is unpopular with the powers that be, such web sites are often now found right at the back pages which means that one has to scroll through all the pages to get to the back. That is, unless of course one types in the name of a particular website then it comes up

C

cSpeedy

I'm a long time Google user and (GASP!) also spent over a decade in SEO in my past. Google has been steadily going downhill and it's their own fault-
- Search results are now heavily influenced by money. If a company doesn't buy ads, good luck. The small business is especially hit by the squeeze. Good for stock shares, but it's like using a phone book only with some companies just plain omitted.
- Last year social media became critical. So every tom, dick and harry company had to create a facebook account. Is everyone tired of seeing TV ads asking you to join a company on facebook yet? Think about it. Hospitals, manufacturers, brokerage firms, everyone needs a facebook page to stay relevant in searches. And most just told all their employees to go on and like them.
- The blog became a great tool. But now that's been killed because now it's not the blog, it's how well the author is liked in social media. The circle continues!
I could go on.

But...yes, I'm still a google user. Before I used to get what I wanted on page one search results. Now I'll go deeper to page 2 and 3 and sometimes more, because the first pages are filled with garbage, or companies that I know paid to be there, or nothing of interest. I frequently put part of my key phrase in quotes to get better search results.
I've been foraying into yahoo and bing, and sometimes ask.com. If Google isn't careful, one of these days, I may not come back.
As to personalization, I delete my cookies, history, and other tracking data every time I close my browser, which may be multiple times per day. Maybe I've lost something in the new age experience, but the sheer volumes of data being collected on individuals - and the lack of regulation for data protection - is frightening.

Big Jim

Super Moderator

It sure isn't what it used to be. It seems obvious that you are directed where Google wants to direct you. I'm certain that their are sources out there that Google just doesn't want to cough up.

Trying to find the lowest price on the internet today? It just doesn't seem too likely any more.

Unfortunately, Google is pretty much the only game in town. I hate it when you have a sole source provider and they seem to no long care about anything but themselves.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin

I typically use Google, but I'm in cSpeedy's camp. Lots of quotes and other modifiers to get what I'm really looking for.

But, to me it's just the evolution of the internet in general. My level of disappointment of what the internet has become is part of it. It's so big now that it's easy to get lost in the maze, not to mention the degree of commercialization.

I use Google most of the time. Big Jim said it:
Unfortunately, Google is pretty much the only game in town.
It is also clear that it is not what it used to be (to the users), and one of these days that will bite them: We all know that an alternative will pop up when you lose your edge.

/Claes

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

I am still using Google. I am not having too much trouble, but I have adapted my search style by automatically adding more specificity and quotes as needed.

Occasionally, I will go to the advanced search to use the exclusion capabilities. I was doing a search on g & t-charts and hit three pages of nothing but rants from smarter solutions, and had to exclude all content from them.

I periodically will try Bing to see whether they have improved, but keep coming back to Google.

Jim G

Involved In Discussions

I still use Google as my number 1. As Big Jim says it's still the only game in town.
I dip into Bing and Ask now and again but they are not improving fast enough to overtake google.

I was Dogpile for a while, but they mostly return google results. I mostly use Bing now, and it seems to serve me well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A EASA Easy Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness - June 2017 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
M Continuing Education for Quality Professional (Online) Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
F FAA Letter of Need to establish Continuing Need Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
J Dual degree MSQA - CSU online program (MSQA) and continuing a Masters in Biotech Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
A EASA Part M - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 40
D Continuing Assessment Audit - Recommended for continued registration 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D We completed our first annual ISO 13485 Continuing Assessment Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Continuing Education - TPS (Toyota) Training/Conference Opportunities? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Using the Cove for CPD (Continuing Professional Development) with RABQSA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
B Anyone Else bored with/during their continuing ISO 9001 audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Continuing Professional Development - Can anyone suggest suitable training material Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Marc Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
Marc My Continuing Thanks to the Moderators, financial Contributors and the 'Regulars'! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
E Continuing a nightmare with the quantity of processes in organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Randy Continuing Professional Development - CPD for ISO 9000/14000 RAB Auditors? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 24
M We need to identify continuing training needs for external source training Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 20
Wes Bucey Disturbing news - No decline in medical errors World News 11
Sidney Vianna Reasons for the Decline of ISO 9001 Registrations in North America (circa 2010) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 142
Marc The Decline: The Geography of a Recession in the US - 2007 thru July 2010 Career and Occupation Discussions 1
M General decline in good manners / common courtesy? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
K Statistical Hypothesis Testing to prove signficant quality improvement or decline Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Google Home, Siri and Alexa in a Room Together Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Marc FYI - A way to liberate ransomware'd Google Smart TVs Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc Google Earth Timelapse update shows Earth from 1984-2016 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Modified Google Glass can teach you Morse Code in four hours World News 0
Marc Google - New Privacy Info - July 2016 World News 3
R Google Hangout from ISO on the ISO 14001:2015 document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
Marc Google Fiber chooses nine metro areas for possible expansion After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Ajit Basrur Google?s smart contact lens: What it does and how it works Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
C Google Apps vs. Wiki for ISO 9001 documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
Marc Google's 15th Birthday - Sept 2013 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Google "Hummingbird" Search Algorithm Announced - Sept 2013 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
B Alternatives to Google Reader - is Feedly a good option? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
V Alternative to Microsoft Office - Open Office vs. Google Docs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
Ajit Basrur Google detects fake website ID certificate threat After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Have you switched from Google searches? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
Marc Mozcast - Turbulence in the Google search engine algorithm After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Major Google Search Changes - January 2012 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
Stijloor Google Chrome Internet Browser - Any Google Chrome users? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
Sidney Vianna Now you can use an image to start your Google search. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Sidney Vianna Cutting & Pasting via Google Chrome - hyperlinks are lost After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Ajit Basrur Combined Search by Baidu and Google After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Google+ Invitations After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
B Google AdSense "Interest Based" Ads Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
AnaMariaVR2 Google Art Project Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Using Bing for Search? You're getting Google Search Results! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
AnaMariaVR2 Google's Ngram Viewer Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Marc Google Wave going Open Source After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1