The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013 - 2014

G

Gert Sorensen

Re: The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013

EU is in the progress of investigating Google under the antitrust laws, for providing biased search results. They are in the hearing process now, where they seek input on the proposed solution, which they will require Google to adhere to. Once they have settled on their - administrative - decision, it will become binding. If a company breaks such commitments, the Commission can impose a fine of up to 10% of its annual worldwide turnover without having to find an infringement of the EU antitrust rules. Even Google will be able to feel that.

P

pearsonow

They are also being investigated under EU privacy rules as it is a requirement to destroy data after a set length of time, dependant on the data. Normally 12 months, 7 years and 10 years. Google do not destroy data. Ever.

Therefore the EU is looking into the breach and fines for this can be very significant...

M

Meatgrinder

I'm trying really hard to understand how Google search works. I have been reading about hummingbird and trying to effect my sites accordingly. What I do find is that traditional SEO tactics still apply. Key words in title, address, H1 tags, etc, description, backlinks, atc...alll seem to be as effective today as they were 5 years ago. The reason why ASK and Wiki come up at the top is due to backlinks.

Like Miner I use the advanced feature of Google search and refine my criteria as much as possible.

J

JonEfree

Even with the ads, which don't bother me, I've found google search to be the most accurate for my searches. It's also very user-friendly.

P

PaulJSmith

Within the last six months or so, I've started using Bing more and more - at the suggestion of a coworker. It's gotten considerably better than it was the first time I tried it way back when. I still find myself using Google on my iPhone, though, as the simple page loads faster than Bing. I've been using AdBlocker Plus (in Firefox) for a few years now, so the ads don't bother me at all. I still don't like the targeted search results, which it seems everyone does now.

There are actually quite a lot of decent search engines out there now. Get a list and try some, you may be surprised.
I have sworn off google for over a year now, and largely use StartPage, mostly because it uses google/yahoo results and is anonymized. I used Dogpile for awhile, and that is not bad either.
Others are Kartoo , Gigablast,Pictures, Duck-duck-go, wisenut, dillo, etc. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses.
Pick accordingly.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I'll check in because I started this thread a bit over a year ago and things have changed a bit.

I usually use the "Duck" these days, but often I check Google, Bing or other search engine. How "good" a search engine is to me depends upon what my search is about. I have become a "multiple search engine" fan. A lot of times you get close to the same results, but often one shows more titles closer to my exact query.

Personally I don't care if my search is anonymized or not. Considering I have had an internet connection since 1995 there is so much info out there about me that it really doesn't matter to me. Besides, ultimately the NSA collects so much information that I bet they know what I eat because I have/use a Kroger's card (not to mention Kroger's own database on me....). The last thing I worry about is whether someone or some company or the government (FBI, NSA, "Homeland Security" or what ever government agency) is tracking what I search for.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
:topic: about "frequent user cards" (like Kroger's)

When I worked in aerospace, one of the engineers was so paranoid about government and corporate surveillance that he willingly paid 10 to 20% more for his groceries rather than use a frequent user card and always paid cash for everything. He was amazed when I took him to a local store and got him a card in the name of "Mickey Mouse, 123 Walt Disney Lane, Annaheim, CA." The clerk never batted an eye and issued the card.

Top Bottom