The Cove Name Change from 16949.com to Elsmar.com

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Marc said: This is something I have had planned for a while. It's kinda a long story. I've had the Cayman moniker for 12 years now and have decided to change to something else.

Not a big deal. Just a name change which should not affect forums users in any way. The old urls will remain active (qs9000.com <-- since 1996 and 16949.com <-- since 1998) but will be switching to a 'main' url of Elsmar.com within two weeks.

I'll understand if you can't answer, or don't want to, but I'm curious if this is related, in whole or in part, to the threatened lawsuit you mentioned a week or so ago. Do we have another reason to dislike 90% of the attorneys out there?

Mike S.

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Meaning?

Marc's Cove remains no matter the name...but am curious if there is a meaning to Elsmar?

E

energy

I know

It's a combination of Elvis and Marylyn Monroe. Now is that so hard?:biglaugh: Sorry Marc, I let it slip!:ko: :smokin:

E

energy

Re: Name Change

db said:

I still haven't figured out where "Caymen" came from?

I believe Marc said he had hoped to retire some day in the Caymans, where he has his off shore bank accounts and that nice house!:p :ko: :smokin:

A

Atul Khandekar

Re: Name Change

energy said:
........Caymans, where he has his off shore bank accounts and that nice house!:p :ko: :smokin:
Probably, he shifted them to the Elsmar Ranch !:p :ko: :smokin:

D

db

Elsmar Ranch

You mean Marc is going into business with Elvis and MM (both of whom have been reported dead, and yet have been seen in Grand Rapids and Cincinnatti)? I've also noticed Marc has a pretty distinct way of saying: "thank you very much";)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Re: Name Change

energy said:

I believe Marc said he had hoped to retire some day in the Caymans, where he has his off shore bank accounts and that nice house!:p :ko: :smokin:

Ok - here's the scoop. I have always done some type of contracting or cousulting - since my last 2 years in high school. At that time I did EEG and EKG machine repairs and alignment (now more commonly called calibration). I called my business Field Bio-Electronics because i worked for a number of different hospitals (I worked 'in the filed' and the equipment I worked on was 'bio-electronic' in nature). I ended up doing quality work in the 1980's and about 1989 someone asked me why the weird name doing consulting and contracting in quality. "What does it all mean?" they would ask and then came the inevitable "Well, what does that have to do with what you're doing now?"

So - I was sitting there thinking what I really was doing was business systems design (yup - flow charts for ever!). At the same time I was young enough that I thought I might actually have enough money some day to retire and at that time I was dreaming of a 45' pilot house ketch (sail) and living in the Cayman Islands (we all have dreams). Soooo-o-o-o... I decided to change the name of my business to Cayman Systems in 1989. i changed it to Cayman Business Systems about 2 years ago or so - I can't remember but it was when the Cayman Systems router people threatened to sue me. I figured Cayman Business Systems was OK and got on with life.

In 1996 I got the QS9000.com domain name. In about 1998 I added 16949.com because of the coming TS 16949. QS9000.com is still active and will bring you to the site but it has been on the internet so long the SPAM situation was critical so last winter I stopped accepting any mail for QS9000.com. Now 16949.com is also spreading thin - tons of junk SPAM.

Right now I send ALL mail to 16949.com directly to my SpamCop account. It catches 20 to 100 SPAMs a day. It also cleans viruses. I get viruses every day now. I have a Mac so it's not an issue anyway, but it's amazing to watch. Every day for the last month to 6 weeks I've been getting at least 3 to 5 (many days more) e-mails with viruses! All to a 16949.com address.

I grew up in a small town in northern Kentucky called Ft. Thomas. I lived in the last house on the street - at 55 Elsmar. And that's where Elsmar (NOT Elsmer) came from. Do a search in any search engine for Elsmar and tell me what you find. I remember learning how to spell the street name as a kid so if I got lost....

Bottom line is I always liked the name and it reminds me of my Leave It To Beaver childhood. The search engine thing clinched it. Search for Cayman and 23,945,017,475,836 links pop up. Try Elsmar and - practically nothing. For those of you such as Atul who asked what this means as far as getting to the site - nothing will change. I'm not dumping 16949.com, but rather adding elsmar.com. So - in the next week - if all goes well - you will also be able to get to the forums by using https://elsmar.com/Forums/ (note the Capital F in Forums). I hope that this addition will happen by next Monday or Tuesday. But the bottom line is no - you will not have to change bookmarks or anything. It's an additional domain name. As soon as I get it in the DNS system, I'll be changing my e-mail addresses as well - but - e-mails to my 16949.com addresses will be still be OK to use. I won't quit receiving e-mails sent to 16949.com for a year as a minimum.

So - not a big deal. No - I'm not being sued. It's simply time to change. Variety is the spice of life (or so some say).

I will admit that all the recent publicity about money hideaways in the Caymans did play a part as I now, and I bet a lot of other people, hear "Cayman" and think "Money Laundering" as opposed to "Retiring there on a sailboat" which was more what one thought (or at least me) in 1989. You know - retire in the islands with the beautiful young maidens (for the girls young - ummm, hunks?) and such. Always warm and sunny, no snow, etc. Things many old farts value.

Heck - energy thought I was a rich guy with a house in the Caymans and such not so long ago...

Next question?

Last edited:
P

pheininger

Re: Re: Re: Name Change

Marc said:

I will admit that all the recent publicity about money hideaways in the Caymans did play a part as I now, and I bet a lot of other people, hear "Cayman" and think "Money Laundering".

Next question?

Does that mean you are offering to do money laundering? :)

Paul

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Money Laundering

pheininger said:

Does that mean you are offering to do money laundering? :)

Sure! Send me all you've got. I'll wash it right out of your life! I don't believe anyone should be burdened by extra cash. I can fix such a situation very quickly and cleanly!

Top Bottom