The Current State of the ASQ (American Society for Quality - formerly the ASQC)

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

Re: The Current State of ASQ

CarolX said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Scott Dalgleish, columnitst for Quality Magazine, wrote an article on the "health" of ASQ. The article can be found on line here….

[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]http://www.qualitymag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,6425,105764,00.html

I frequently agree with many of Mr. Dalgleish ideas. His columns are, if nothing else, thought provoking. Give it a read and post your thoughts.
CarolX
[/font]
Carol:

Thanks for pointing us to an excellent article.

First off, I agree that there needs to be less "fad of the moment" and six sigma emphasis, and more Juran/Deming. When the first Six Sigma article came out in Quality Progress, was I the only one who sensed a sea change in the magazine and ASQ as a whole?

Also, the perception that consultants have a lot of influence within ASQ is shared by many, I believe. Is ASQ's mission to advance the state of the quality profession, or just drum up business?

Finally, it is disheartening that the very approaches and techniques used by many Q practitioners are ignored by the ASQ. This point alone is the most important in the article.

I hope the ASQ brass is listening.

Craig

R

Randy Stewart

Good article,
IMO, ASQ is not the only one experiencing this problem.
Many companies are pushing these "tools" with no practicle knowledge of how or why they worked in another company or area.

We've been discussing the "AIM" and "Vision" of a system in the SoPK thread. One thing is certain, all the supporting functions must have an aim or vision that aligns with the overall aim and vision of the whole. If they don't match or align you're setting yourself up for failure.
You can't have flexible vision to respond to changes. The vision has to incorporate the changes or all you are doing is constantly changing direction.
Set a course and steer for the destination, storms and winds will challenge your strength, but don't lose sight of the objective!

N

noboxwine

Yeah !

I communicate with Scott occasionally about the state of Quality and his articles. Though we don't always agree, we speak and respect our unbridled opinions. In this case, however, I am in complete agreement with all his comments.

ASQ in its current state is as non-value added as the registration process. Capturing lost sales by promotion of more new, exciting and costly programs for the moment’s symptoms, never conducting the necessary analyses to move Quality back to an even respectable entity. It’s a sham. :frust:

Were we not happy with the unparalleled results from TQM ? Fundamental, proven, effective and easy to use, yielding the optimum customer satisfaction. ;)

It’s just too easy for most to understand and didn’t generate enough revenue for consultants and societies. It’s a shame. :(

T

tschones

Carol-

I agree with your assessment of Scott's work. I've also found him thought provoking.

I think part of the problem is that ASQ is going through an identity crisis. Are they a statistics oriented organization? Are they the ISO kingpin in the US? Are the focused only on mfg? Are they focused on all age groups (ex. Koala Kids)? Is training a primary objective? If so, should it be at the local or national level?

The other part of the problem is that I believe people and organizations are slowly coming around to the idea that "quality" isn't just for groups labeled "QA", "QC", "QE", etc. Quality is everyone's responsibility. For example, the last company I was at dismantled their whole quality organization several years ago and melded these people and their responsibilities it into manufacturing, engineering, and the development groups as appropriate. In some cases their responsibilities remained the same, in other cases their responsibilities were evenly distributed to process and development engineers and were reassigned as process engineers. If other companies are making similar shifts, ASQ's target audience is becoming more diluted.

One final thing that has bothered me, is that lately I get the impression that ASQ is always looking for a quick buck. For example, they have recently created a certified six-sigma black belt with training programs that are quite expensive (like Scott eludes to in his article) and they charge somewhere around $100 I believe for a copy of the ISO 9000 standard, even for the soft copy. Are you kidding me?

Tom

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: The Current State of ASQ

My experiences with the ASQ have for the most part been bad from when I joined back in the 1980's. I won't hash out the details, but I've never been impressed with the organization and from when I first joined in the 1980's felt they were interested in little more than my money.

I believe a few years ago there was an attempt to start a new 'quality club' but it failed. I don't remember any details, but I remember there was some dissent.

I keep a membership because some people expect it.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Re: The Current State of ASQ

Marc said:
I keep a membership because some people expect it.
Same here. I have had my membership since 1982.
I seem to recall way back then that they didn't accept advertising in Quality Progress.

CarolX

This is interesting. I had to really think about renewing my membership. I probably would not have done it except my boss still thinks it is a good idea. I'm not convinced myself, nor my company, nor the quality profession is getting their individual or collective money's worth.

B

Bob_M

I haven't had a chance to read the posted article yet, but this topic is a little disheartening...
In another post of mine it was recommended as a possible "good" idea to join groups like the ASQ if you a new to the Quality field.
In this post I get the impression I'd be wasting my money...
*shrug*

I wonder if in a few years at my current small company if my "quality manager" position will just be one resposiblity among many other (assuming I'm still here and our quality problems/issue continue to remain extremely low). Heck if I wasn't so computer literate and everyone else wasn't so busy (small office of 6 people), we probably could do with out a "quality manager" right now... *eeek*

Could it be that they have evolved into a huge beast that is overall very hard to manage at a small level and they have therfore become a conglomerate giant that is actually less efficient than several smaller groups? Does it sound at all like government.

The government does many great things but in many ways they are too big. Privitization is not really a good anwer either because there always will be favors owed and price gouging. So what is the solution?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gman2 The current state of our Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 6
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Informational TGA – Current status of breast implant products in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Proficiency Testing for ISO 17025: AC Current Ranges ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
T Tests IEC 60601-1 - Grounding Resistance, Leakage Current and Dielectric Rigidity in an automated way IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Calibration - Isolated current meter - Measuring patient auxiliary leakage current Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
Q Raising A CAPA on Current CAPA system US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Leakage Current test and Dielectric strength for Battery operated ECG device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Leakage current measurement with non-frequency-weighted device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A QMS - Medical Device - New company under a current one ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K Questions on Technical File to show it is current EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H IS there any database for list of CE marked Medical devices and there current status EU Medical Device Regulations 8
B Mains fuses and OVER-CURRENT RELEASES IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Adding an additional distributor to a current Mexico Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M IEC 60601-1 and Active Current Protection Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Testing a Low Current (Battery) DC Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D Referencing Standards in Procedures - Current version or actual? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Curious if a List of Current Standards Revisions Exsists Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Touch Current for Exposed Charging Contacts on Bodyworn Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Current version of EN62304/A1 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A Power Traceability certificate for values for voltage, current and phase General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q What constitutes current technical data? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
M Current standard references IEC 60601:1988 instead of current version EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K What are the current ISO/ TS 16949 Semiconductor Manufacturer Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G How to cover another manufacturing "site" or warehouse into current ISO 13485 cert ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Document references need to be updated to correspond to the current year? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Humidity Pre-Conditioning before leakage current and dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R Is EN/IEC 60417 still current? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R New Draft Guidance Document for FDA's current thinking on De Novo submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
W How can I test the Patient Leakage Current of an Infusion Pump? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
J Looking for feedback from current/former Intelex users Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
A Using your current QMS to plan for ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
A Accuracy Calculation of Leakage Current for an Electrical Safety Analyzer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E How do I stay current on Regulatory Affairs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J Exceeding the DC Leakage Current Limit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Q Seeking Examples of current ISO/TS 16949 Training Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Building your own Leakage Current Tester IEC60990 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
E Extending current ISO 9001 registration scope to cover SW development Software Quality Assurance 2
S Current Inspection Standard for AS9100 Certified Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Are current 'excessive' Customer Requirements killing the aerospace industry? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S FMEA Process Step or Current Control FMEA and Control Plans 3