The Customer does not Audit to their own Supplier Quality Manual

M

MsHeeler

We recently were audited by a customer, a large well known customer. During the audit I requested to know where the requirement was for an item to clarify what they expected to see. The answer was "we do not audit to the manual, we audit to the checklist".

The "requirements" on the checklist are not in the Supplier Quality Manual, and the opinions that were added are not there either. In addition, we have not received the audit report back from them, and it has been a month. Now they are concerned that we are not taking them seriously. :truce:

Any suggestions are welcome!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: The customer does not go by their own Supplier Quality Manual???

We recently were audited by a customer, a large well known customer. During the audit I requested to know where the requirement was for an item to clarify what they expected to see. The answer was "we do not audit to the manual, we audit to the checklist".

The "requirements" on the checklist are not in the Supplier Quality Manual, and the opinions that were added are not there either. In addition, we have not received the audit report back from them, and it has been a month. Now they are concerned that we are not taking them seriously. :truce:

Any suggestions are welcome!
Welcome to the real world! Some customers (or merely only their Supplier Quality Auditors [SQA]) are notorious for seeming to make up "rules" after the fact.

The way you and you bosses deal back with them depends a lot on how important this customer is.

One thing your organization "should" do is add an item to your Contract Review to check for this sort of thing BEFORE entering into new contracts with this customer or with any other.

The one thing you CAN do regardless of the importance of this customer, is to send a formal written notice to the customer's top purchasing agent, with copies to the SQA who visited your plant and his direct boss, simply stating the facts:

1. We were audited on _____________
  2. The auditor was _______________
  3. The Supplier Quality Manual (SQM) states [implies? cite the exact language] we would receive a copy of the report __________________
  4. We have not yet received a report.
  5. Has one been sent and gone astray?
  6. If one has not been sent, may we know the reason for the delay?

Under no circumstances should this notice include any gripe about the disparity between SQM and actual audit - that's grist for another mill and would only cloud the issue. Keep focused - one topic per message!

The effect of this notice will be

1. to alert all parties you are on top of the situation and have done all in your power - the ball is in their court.
  2. It may be the customer policy and normal usage to mistreat suppliers - this is a good time learn that.
  3. It may be some simple SNAFU at the customer - this is a good time for the customer to learn that.
  4. It may be the SQA is incompetent - it is past time for the customer to learn that!

M

MsHeeler

When we requested the audit report they said that they could not upload it to their system for some reason, and sent a listings of items that were upgraded from a major to a minor. Also items that remained at at major. There were about 40 NCs in all.

What they sent us did not even make sense. They gave us a major for not having a procedure to audit suppliers. Then stated that we did not have a procedure to qualify auditors or do internal audits. That is not what they asked for, the interal audit procedure would have been easy.

Then we got a major because the auditor, with no manufacturing experience, could not build a complicated electronic part just by following the work instruction. We explained that we would never put an untrained person on a line to do a job. No effect, we should be able to pull anyone in off the street and give them the work instruction and turn them loose.

How to you give a customer a clue?
MsHeeler

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

When we requested the audit report they said that they could not upload it to their system for some reason, and sent a listings of items that were upgraded from a major to a minor. Also items that remained at at major. There were about 40 NCs in all.

What they sent us did not even make sense. They gave us a major for not having a procedure to audit suppliers. Then stated that we did not have a procedure to qualify auditors or do internal audits. That is not what they asked for, the interal audit procedure would have been easy.

Then we got a major because the auditor, with no manufacturing experience, could not build a complicated electronic part just by following the work instruction. We explained that we would never put an untrained person on a line to do a job. No effect, we should be able to pull anyone in off the street and give them the work instruction and turn them loose.

How to you give a customer a clue?
MsHeeler
Sounds like a sit-down is needed, in which you go over the findings one-by-one and voice your objections. You shouldn't be afraid to calmly object to things that make no sense. My own urge would be to ask how the customer would feel if they had just boarded a 747 and were informed before takeoff that the pilot had never flown an airplane before, but he had read the instructions for flying large commercial aircraft, so no one should be worried. I would resist that urge, however, in favor of sober and polite discussion.

M

MsHeeler

I like your way, and I will have to put it in my book for items to think of during an audit to keep me calm, and maby work into the conversation if it comes up again.

We tried to discuss these items with the auditors and the coversation got heated and at some times loud. The problem is, there is no way to answer the items without knowing what they want, since it is not stated anywhere. :mad:

And now they are upset because we do not answer a non exsiting audit report. How does such a large company stay in business?

MsHeeler

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I like your way, and I will have to put it in my book for items to think of during an audit to keep me calm, and maby work into the conversation if it comes up again.

We tried to discuss these items with the auditors and the coversation got heated and at some times loud. The problem is, there is no way to answer the items without knowing what they want, since it is not stated anywhere. :mad:

And now they are upset because we do not answer a non exsiting audit report. How does such a large company stay in business?

MsHeeler
I don't know how important your products are to the supplier, and you might get to a point where you have to swallow a bitter pill. A good point to make with them, however, is that your company's quoted prices are based in part on the customer's documented requirements, and that substantial changes in requirements could result in reopening the contract. Sometimes that's the only way to get their attention.

M

MIREGMGR

We have a Very Large Global Customer that gigged us in a recent audit for not responding promptly enough on ten product packaging complaints from their Japan subsidiary...even though the auditors were aware that they delayed sending us six of the complaints for eight months (extending into a different fiscal year), and still haven't sent us the other four, almost two years after they supposedly occurred.

I wish there was a practical way for us to issue NCs to them each time they don't have their ISO act together.

M

MsHeeler

That would be great! Do you think that we should offer to come in and to a courtesy audit for them? :whip:

MsHeeler

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

I think Jim Wynne would agree with me that no purpose is served by being snippy or sarcastic to the customer.

The key to maintaining control over emotions (which can quickly escalate into he said/she said shouting matches) is to

1. WRITE an agenda for the meeting
  2. distribute it in advance to all concerned parties for comment (addition or subtraction) BEFORE the meeting
  3. stick strictly to the agenda DURING the meeting
  4. make notes of answers and action items, especially WHO, and any projected time tables for the action to be performed (be sure YOU make the notes)
  5. distribute copies of the notes to the same parties who received the agenda PLUS any additional parties identified during the meeting
  6. Follow up on action items according to the projected time table
  7. notify ALL parties again when action items are not complete by time table date; request new projected date
  8. notify ALL parties as each action item is completed.
Some may view this as merely a CYA stopgap, but systematic processes take the events out of the "special, emotion-charged, fire-fighting" category into "business as usual" where the real work gets performed.

Z

zancky

The "requirements" on the checklist are not in the Supplier Quality Manual, and the opinions that were added are not there either. In addition, we have not received the audit report back from them, and it has been a month. Now they are concerned that we are not taking them seriously.
I don't know if it can help You but You are not the only one.
When a "well known customer" comes to audit, it may happen thay are not looking for seeing if Your organization/system works "well" but how many differences there are between Your system and their "perfect" one by checklist. You can receive the checklist before the audit but without any "customer trainer" You can not understand most of the items.
Some customers pretend to have a copy of their quality/production/etc system in your plant for the parts You are producing for them. everything that is not a copy of their system is a "NC" or a remark that you must solve introducing their methodology/phylosophy
when it happened to me I tried to find someone to speak with inside customer organization. When I found out, I used him as consultan in order to understand the "real" meaning of the checklist and I found out some interesting points.

Look at the findings, try to sketch a proposal, send Your comments and proposal to Your top management and wait for Your top management answer. If it takes time tell Your customer Your organisation is thinking about their proposals for improvement very carefully because they (the proposal) are so "wise" :)sarcasm: ?)

At the end it is Your top managent that takes the decision. If They wont the business You must bear all the conseguences:notme:.

imho aswer to the customer and look likes you appreciate their audit or your organization will charge You for all the problems/delays etc:bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Does an RMA = a Customer Complaint Customer Complaints 4
M Does ISO 13485 or MDR require you to state the origins of customer requirements or user needs? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
O Private label issues For EU - Customer does not have CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
Q Does ISO 9001 require CARs for all customer complaints? Customer Complaints 2
K Does ISO 13485:2016 - 7.2.3 Customer Communication include Marketing? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J What does "If required by the customer" mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Does Sampling Plan Revision need Customer Approval? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Is SPC required for Production if a Customer does not ask for it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Does anyone have an example Customer Property Procedure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
G Customer Property Cl. 7.5.4 - Where does ISO 9001 stop and ISO 27001 start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
D Product Shipment without Signed PSW - Customer does not provide signed PSW to us APQP and PPAP 13
F How does Process Mapping help to make a process more Transparent to the Customer? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
V Customer-Specified Parts - What does "customer-specified" in TS 16949 mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C What does "NO" mean in Customer Approval Verification (FAI form 2, Field 9) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
G Does AS9100 require approving your Customer as a Supplier? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
V Requirement 7.5.1.8 Service Agreement with Customer - What does it mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Customer Property ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.5.4 - Does this include E-mails? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Special Characteristics - What if the customer does not identify any SCs? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Supplier's Property - Does 7.5.4 Customer property apply to supplier's property ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Material Thickness - Customer does not give us a tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
N Quality Program Plan - How much detail does the customer want? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D What does the customer mean by ?Contaminations?? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
D Definition Does VOC (Voice of the Customer) include customer specific requirements? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
ScottK How does your organization react to customer audits? General Auditing Discussions 16
D What does "Customer Business Plan" in the AIAG APQP manual mean? APQP and PPAP 0
D Customer Specific Requirements - Does anyone use a web crawler for monitoring these? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
H 5.2 Customer Focus - "...aim of enhancing customer satisfaction does not exist" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Customer Supplied Product - When does it become that? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Does CE apply to the food industry? Customer asked the manager if we are CE certified Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
E Where Does One Get Customer Specific Requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 26
W Measuring Customer Complaints in PPM - How does your company define PPM? Customer Complaints 21
Q Poll: Does TS 16969 have more CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) than QS-9000? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 22