SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

The death of Dr. Joseph M. Juran on February 28, 2008

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Govind PMed me this: ASQ Silicon Valley Section 0613.

ASQ Silicon Valley Section 0613 said:
The SV ASQ extends our sympathy to the family, friends and the quality community on the death of Dr. Joseph M. Juran on February 28, 2008. His legacy was to the world, not only to the quality community.

Dr. Juran was referred to as the father of modern day Quality Management. He had many accomplishments in his life. He named the Pareto Principle; he provided a roadmap to improve organization-wide quality; he traveled the world to teach others how to improve quality; and he founded the Juran Institute Inc (JII) in 1979 at the age of 75. JII initially focused on providing training to improve enterprise quality. It grew over the years to provide clients and society with a full compliment of tools and techniques to improve business results. Many of Dr. Juran's techniques to improve business performance are still in use today in as the Lean and Six Sigma, tools and principles used all around the world.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Marc,
Thanks for posting. When I heard this news this morning, it was very sad.
Now ASQ also has officially posted the news in their site: http://www.asq.org/juran/
Dr.Juran’s contribution to Quality will always be remembered. It is unfortunate that I never got an opportunity to meet him in person or hear his speech.

Any other COVERS who was fortunate to sit in Dr.Juran’s seminar or speeches or meet in person? Love to hear your thoughts.
Regards,
Govind.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
I was introduced to Dr. Juran in the 80s. He was featured in a video series that we used as part of a "Quality at Work" program.

I remember him mostly for "Vital few and trivial many" (hence my signature) and his Quality Handbook (the bible for every quality professional).

Sad that he has passed away. He should be an example to all of us.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
I guess everyone here at the Cove has been influenced one way or the other by Juran. As I open up my cabinet at work, I see Juran's picture on the Juran Quality Handbook every day. The picture is so respectable... and a bit intimidating..:) It's like he's telling me in his own way to "Get back to work, stop wasting time and resources... and by all means, do a good job!":lol:

I think it is a testimony to his life's work, the progressive knowledge he put forth, and his usefulness that his handbook is in probably every facility in America, if not the world. The same can be said of Deming.

It is left to the future gurus of quality, however, to actually get the facilities to open the books and apply it to their lives.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Another light has gone out. But thankfully, many people have heeded these masters and profited from their advice, so their work was done well.

RIP, Dr. Juran. Take a break. You done good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Marc Feathered Dinosaur Death Site is an ?Animal Pompeii? World News 1
Jim Wynne Shop Safety Review After Tragic Death at Yale World News 8
Marc The Death of Beer Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
S Chi-Square Conundrum - Analyzing tree death across 3 areas Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
Ajit Basrur Teva recalls drug following Jackson death probe Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Wes Bucey Life After Death by PowerPoint Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 15
Stijloor The Death of Civility - Good article by Scott M. Paton World News 6
K Could a good Design FMEA have prevented this? Death inside centrally locked car FMEA and Control Plans 6
Howard Atkins QS-9000 Interpretations - July 2002 and the Official Announcement of the Death of QS QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
G Death Of The Seceretary-General Of IOS (ISO) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S Joseph Juran is dead ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Different editions of Juran's Quality Handbook Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
J Similarities between Juran, Deming and Crosby Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
A Juran is dead - Why the thread is closed so early? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
Stijloor Who will follow Deming-Juran-Crosby in their footsteps? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
P What influence have Juran Deming & Crosby had on the retail sector Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
V Quality Gurus Comparison - Deming, Juran, Crosby, Ishikawa and Taguchi Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
V Quality Gurus: Question on Comparison of Philosophies: Deming, Crosby, Juran Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 26
J An Interview with Juran Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
Marc Dr. Juran - 100 Years Young - 24 December 2004 - A Century of Quality Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
W Discussions Relating Juran's Quality Trilogy Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
S The theories and practices of Deming, Juran, Kaizen and several others Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
M Juran proposes new Q research effort Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 6
R 100% Inspection - 80% Accurate - Quote from Juran (?) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 94
Marc Definition Quality Control vs. Quality Assurance - The difference according to Juran Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
W Juran vs. Deming - Your Thoughts? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 39
D Scribes and Gladiators - Juran?s Managerial Breakthrough Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5