The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
This discussion has been very helpful in how FMEA fits within the risk management. Does anyone have any suggestions on best practice for keeping the risk evaluations aligned for risk acceptability levels when using a risk analysis top down approach and an FMEA bottom up approach within the same risk management system?

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
This discussion has been very helpful in how FMEA fits within the risk management. Does anyone have any suggestions on best practice for keeping the risk evaluations aligned for risk acceptability levels when using a risk analysis top down approach and an FMEA bottom up approach within the same risk management system?
What exactly do you mean by that? If you are talking about risk "levels" or numbers, those have nothing to do with risk acceptability in principle, so I would suggest you rethink your concepts (unfortunately, there's a spread misunderstanding of what the risk acceptability criteria is, mainly due to the spread misuse of risk matrices).

I am thinking about that the FMEAs often are looking at probability of failure of a component or process and it doesn’t always seem to be translated to probability of a hazard leading to a hazardous situation leading to harm. In many I have seen it seems to stop well short of this. (This may be why there is so much discussion surrounding if FMEAs should be used under 14971). When this happens, there appears to be a disconnect between the two types of analysis. When they are reviewed side by side it can appear that different amounts of risk are acceptable for a product.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
I am thinking about that the FMEAs often are looking at probability of failure of a component or process and it doesn’t always seem to be translated to probability of a hazard leading to a hazardous situation leading to harm. In many I have seen it seems to stop well short of this. (This may be why there is so much discussion surrounding if FMEAs should be used under 14971). When this happens, there appears to be a disconnect between the two types of analysis. When they are reviewed side by side it can appear that different amounts of risk are acceptable for a product.
FMEA was created as reliability analysis tool to verify the possible failures modes of components and the associated effect on the equipment/system.

Harm (as in patient harm) is related to things outside the equipment/system (meaning, what happens to the patient/user/etc.), so it cannot be evaluated by an FMEA.

That's the reason it's not translated, that's because it cannot be translated.

Also, the amount of risk (probability x severity), although expected to be estimated, is not the only topic in determining risk acceptability, in fact most of the time the "level"of risk has no direction implication in the risk acceptability decision - for example, when you use a good practice argument (such as a standard), the level of risk is not a part of the acceptability decision.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
@Sarah_O Personally, when I conduct a risk evaluation to ISO 14971 I hardly ever apply FMEA (where it's my decision to make). It's not required by the standard, though it's suggested as one of the available analysis methods. In essence, I see ISO 14971's paradigm as a top-down one, while FMEA is a bottom-up one. Some people argue that FMEA helps identify issues that might otherwise "escape" a top-down analysis. Maybe it's true, but in my opinion for simple to moderately-complex devices the (little, if any) added value doesn't justify the hassle. FMEA is, however, important when dealing with systems and complex devices, where the effects of a seemingly minor component failure can lead, through an intricate chain of events/effects, to a disastrous outcome at the entire device or system level, and sometimes to the user/patient.

BTW, don't be misled - there is no direct correlation between the complexity of the device and the risk to the user/patient. Simple devices (even a single component devices) can pose great risks.

moritz

Registered
Everybody keeps saying that FMEA is a purely bottom-up methodology but the VDA/AIAG guideline on FMEA explains how it can be used on complex systems in a top-down way as well (since 1996!). You start with your system structure, identify the necessary functions of each element in that system, then the failure modes and finally the causes/effects and the evaluation. Creating FMEAs this way is maybe more difficult than a bottom-up brainstorming approach but prevents you from forgetting systemic part interactions that are not necessarily self-explanatory or easy to spot.

We use a 14971 risk analysis approach that includes user errors and forseeable device failures to generate requirements for our devices. Then, after the technical requirements have been defined, we use such a systematic FMEA to discover what could lead to the device not performing as intended. This helps us to identify and document design outputs essential for safe use, create a quality control strategy and even develop safe production processes.
We inherit the severity in that device DFMEA from our high level risk analysis (i.e. if a component failure could lead to a patient risk, its severity is identical to the respective severity within our 14971 risk analysis)

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
The FMEA process can help you define the P1 probabilities. Then, using a hazard analysis or other documentation, the risk is determined by connecting the P1 from the FMEA to the P2 in the hazard analysis. If using both FMEA and another top down analysis, the two should have linkages. With that said, some companies call their document an FEMA, even when it is not a true FMEA, meaning it deviates from the IEC 60812 standard. Some of these "FMEA" documents are more like hazard analysis documents that meet the requirements of ISO 14971.

My opinion is that high risk devices benefit from bottom up and top down, but low risk devices do not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I What is the difference between FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG) and VDA 4.2? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
A What is the difference between FMEA and FMECA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
F What is the difference between a Concept FMEA and a System FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Y Labeling difference for storage and operating conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
T Difference between a subcontractor and a supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
gramps What is the difference between discrete and continuous variables? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
JoCam Difference between Approval and Registration - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Difference between EU-MDR Annex IX and the Annex-combo X&XI EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T ISO 17025:2017 Clause 4.2.2 - The difference between "be notified" and "be informed" ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
C IEC 60601-1-8, difference between table 4 and annex D IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A What is the difference between Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q What is the difference between AS9100D 9.3.2.f and 9.3.3.a AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Aluminum - What is the difference between 6061-T6 and 6061-T651 (both per ASTM B211)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S Difference between Surface Finish (Ra) and Flatness (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
O Air Flow - Which is the operational difference between LAF (vertical and horizontal) and RLAF? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S DO 178B - What is the difference between review and verification? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
T The difference between SOP and Kaizen Standardization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
K Difference between intended purpose and intended use of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Q What is the difference between normal and licensed internal auditor? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 9
J What is the difference between Process Variation and Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
O Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Difference between an Advisory Notice (ISO 13485) and a Field Safety Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
qualprod What is the difference between 7.4.1 (2008) and 8.4.1 (2015)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Difference between uncertainty and expanded uncertainty of measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Is there a difference in the process? Analyze residuals, construct interval estimate Using Minitab Software 2
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S The difference between a Medical Device Accessory and Component Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is the difference between a service request and a complaint? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q AS 9100 C and D Purchasing requirements difference AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Difference Process Objective/Opportunity for improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I What is the difference between OOS/OOT Imported Legacy Blogs 3
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
O Difference in 60601-1-2 3rd and 4th ed separation RF portable equipment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Q Difference between Monitor & Measurement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T QA vs. RA - The difference between QA and RA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
A Difference between Discrimination and Least Count IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Difference between Medical Electrical Equipment and Medical Equipment System IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Usability Standard - The difference between IEC 60601-1-6 to IEC 62336 Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
S What is the difference between Verification and Validation of Test Reports? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5