The difference between SOP and Kaizen Standardization

Hello Guys;
I would like to ask about the difference between SOP and Kaizen standardization, and is it important to replace or gather SOPs & standardization in one place (eg. Warehouse), and is there a template or a structure to use Kaizen standardization?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hello Guys;
I would like to ask about the difference between SOP and Kaizen standardization, and is it important to replace or gather SOPs & standardization in one place (eg. Warehouse), and is there a template or a structure to use Kaizen standardization?
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Given that Kaizen is a Japanese philosophy that focuses on continual improvement throughout all aspects of life, it does not seem it is one and the same as SOPs. SOPs can be a means to accomplish Kaizen; they just are not interchangeable. Nor would I want to standardize Kaizen; I would not want to limit myself to a set of methods because one approach does not suit all.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kaizen (and 5S) is often used incorrectly to describe Lean. The terms are not synonymous. Kaizen and 5S are methodology elements within Lean.
I suspect that TarKEpa means “Standard Work” because of his reference to SOPs and “standardization”. Standard Work is often incorrectly confused with standardization. Again standardization is an element of Standard Work. Standard Work is a means of highly specifying the sequence, timing and outcome of any ‘operation’. It is not an SOP or Work instruction in the traditional sense, although it is often - but not always - captured on a SINGLE piece of paper and posted at the workstation. When posted, it is not for the employee but for the supervisor to ensure that work is done in accordance to the Standard Work. When posted, it contains very few words; it I dominated by pictures. In high speed operations such as automotive assembly lines where the ‘operations’ take ~60 seconds there is no ‘documented standard work as that would be excessive documentation. The work area is set up such that any deviation from the standard work will be immediately obvious to everyone. When we incorporate Kaizen we are continually improving the process which would make ‘keeping up’ the documention is very onerous. So standard work can and should replace work instructions but it is not a documentation exercise. Review, approval and ‘gathering’ is not done.