Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,
I have a quick question. My manager has informed me that although we WERE working on getting certified / registered to the AS 9100 standard, he has now decided that we only need to be compliant. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is besides spending the money to get certified versus not spending the money? Don't we still need to show all of the documentation and evidence whether we are compliant or certified? SO basically he is telling me this is no big deal at all and we don't really need to make any real changes at all I guess.

thanks,
Nicole:(

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi All,
I have a quick question. My manager has informed me that although we WERE working on getting certified / registered to the AS 9100 standard, he has now decided that we only need to be compliant. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is besides spending the money to get certified versus not spending the money? Don't we still need to show all of the documentation and evidence whether we are compliant or certified? SO basically he is telling me this is no big deal at all and we don't really need to make any real changes at all I guess.

thanks,
Nicole:(
Compliant means that there is no third party audit or registration. Customers who require AS9100 usually require registration.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Whatever the choice your boss needs to ensure that his management system conforms to the standard.

Some people see certification as a marketing expense but eventually your boss may decide to obtain accredited certification of this “compliant” management system.

That is when you’ll be the hero for continually engaging your colleagues in ensuring the management system conforms to the applicable standards for delivering confidence that requirements will be fulfilled.

Good luck.

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Whatever the choice your boss needs to ensure that his management system conforms to the standard.

Some people see certification as a marketing expense but eventually your boss may decide to obtain accredited certification of this “compliant” management system.

That is when you’ll be the hero for continually engaging your colleagues in ensuring the management system conforms to the applicable standards for delivering confidence that requirements will be fulfilled.

Good luck.
Thanks John, I really appreciate the response to this question. I will continue to prepare as though we are going to be registered at some point. :)

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Compliant means that there is no third party audit or registration. Customers who require AS9100 usually require registration.
Thanks Al,
I can't imagine the customer who actually DOES require registration will be thrilled about the plan to be "compliant" rather than achieve registration.

mattador78

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Al,
I can't imagine the customer who actually DOES require registration will be thrilled about the plan to be "compliant" rather than achieve registration.
We have been compliant with AS9100 for the past couple of years but this has only allowed us to have certain jobs from certain customers, based on their audit of us and through their accreditation. It also meant though that our biggest customer could not send us a large portion of their work due to the fact that we had to be registered with our own certification to satisfy their end user. Hence the reason why we have now completed our certification last week and can now pick up some of this work in the new year, Nadcap is the next step as the same customer has another set of work locked behind that what we can have once we get that.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
When I was actively involved in the AAQG, we had goals of increasing the market penetration of AS9100 certification in the AS&D Supply Chain. The latest public version of the IAQG Strategic Plan confirms the goal of driving very high levels of certification.

So and indeed, missed/lost business opportunities for lack of certification might be the motivator to rush an organization into the mad dash to be certified in short time. With short time to do it right, you shortcut the healthy implementation process and end up with unsustainable processes. When things don't work, the same people who resisted the certification mandate, will blame problems on the standard, the auditors, the quality manager, etc....THEY are never to blame. Been there, seen that.

The tendency of companies that claim compliance is that they will let things slide since no one is really checking up on them. As a result most all of them end up being pretenders.

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
The tendency of companies that claim compliance is that they will let things slide since no one is really checking up on them. As a result most all of them end up being pretenders.
This is likely true, but in my experience many of the companies that are certified are also pretenders, but maybe less pretender than those who merely self-proclaim compliance.

When ISO 9001 came out one huge selling point was that by having a 3rd party do the audits everyone would trust the result, so we wouldn't need to suffer through all those customer audits (or perform audits on our suppliers). How'd that work out? We still get audited again and again by our customers. Why?

Top Bottom