The Ethics of Risk Assessment

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
If would-be clients are frightened by reality, that's hardly the would-be consultant's fault. We should be able to assume that a consultant knows things that his clients don't know or there would probably be no need for a consultant. By the same token, one would think that an experienced consultant would understand the difference between honest disclosure of observations and gratuitous hyperbole.
You are correct insofar as clients who are looking at relatively narrow consulting requirements. The game changes quite a bit when dealing with clients in the process of major makeovers under a lot of pressure. My practice is concentrated to those clients where the
"organization should be in self-perceived "crisis" due to pressure from time, regulators, creditors, or customers."

The kind of referrals I get are primarily from attorneys, accountants, investment banks, and creditors about their troubled clients, rarely from companies I've helped. Usually those targets are in crisis BECAUSE the top managers had a blind spot about some aspect of reality. If I've done my job correctly, those consulting clients should not be encountering and interacting with the organizations in crisis - they should be avoiding them.

In short, I'm the consultant who DOES deal with the FUBAR clients which most consultants should avoid. I guess I must have a little masochistic streak which drives me to take on very challenging assignments. Even so, I still can recognize early on when the situation is one beyond my ability to fix, primarily because of the mind set of a principal owner or top manager. In such cases, I'm usually back on the job helping to pick up the pieces after the owner or manager has been ousted in a foreclosure or forced sale.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
There is a lot of buzz about cyber attacks, but often the most devastating attack to documents and records can walk in the front door with a warrant and the resultant disruption can be very costly and often uncompensated by insurance. What are the ethics of a consultant scaring the pants off a client who thinks he's only signing up to "modernize" a document management system?
If would-be clients are frightened by reality, that's hardly the would-be consultant's fault. We should be able to assume that a consultant knows things that his clients don't know or there would probably be no need for a consultant. By the same token, one would think that an experienced consultant would understand the difference between honest disclosure of observations and gratuitous hyperbole.
You are correct insofar as clients who are looking at relatively narrow consulting requirements. The game changes quite a bit when dealing with clients in the process of major makeovers under a lot of pressure. My practice is concentrated to those clients where the
"organization should be in self-perceived "crisis" due to pressure from time, regulators, creditors, or customers." <snip>
You went from "...only signing up to 'modernize' a document management system..." to "...dealing with clients in the process of major makeovers..." which I assume would entail a great deal more than updating a document management system.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The problem with doing a criminal search like that is there are typically many people with the same name.

As a caution, this whole thread is suspect to me.

I

immaya08

I have been in the consulting business for over 26 years and I found my Clients overall very receptive. I have never encountered the issues that were described in Wes' posts. Something must be OK because 85% of my business is by referral. :agree1:
if I may, consulting service means not complicating things - for customers.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Ethics and Legality AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Audit Ethics and Practices regarding Evidence Internal Auditing 18
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I Code of Ethics and Conduct wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Test Data Accuracy Usage - Ethics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Tool Capability vs. Customers Requirements and Specifications (Ethics) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
J Ethics Training and Policy appropriate for an ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Your position and ethics on your job - Unqualified Personnel Career and Occupation Discussions 19
C REDACTED Harassment Module: Ethics - Training Materials Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Workplace Ethics PowerPoint .ppt presentation or other format wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
G Ethics and Quality Management Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 36
K Clinical Trials of Medical Devices in China - Ethics Commision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Tim Folkerts Change in ASQ Code of Ethics ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
K Ethics - Tooling drawings and controls passed on to another supplier by the Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
D Auditing Ethics - Lead Auditor solicited client for training General Auditing Discussions 6
Wes Bucey Ethics - Moral law vs. Criminal law Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 123
Wes Bucey Corporate ethics revisited - Comments about the concept of corporate ethics Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
R Ethics: A Discussion of Company Ethics Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
R Ethics: Ethical Question - Knowingly Violating a Regulatory Requirement Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
R Ethics: Audit Question points auditor to a possible nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 73
N Ethics: Failure to File Regulatory Reports Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
A Ethics: Ethical Decisions Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Q Example of the Risk Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Overall residual risk according to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
A IEC 60601 11.2.2.1 Risk of Fire in an Oxygen Rich Environment, Source of Ignition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R AQL, Consumer Risk and MA Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Risk managment report of Surgical Mask Example ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Robert Stanley I'm @ RISK of not showing my RISKS! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5