The family lost a little friend today

R

Randy Stewart

Sorry to hear about your loss Brad.
Back in the day, we lost a family dog named Smoke, she was a Cockerspaniel, Poodle mix. One of the smartest dogs I've ever known. Anyway she died of Hook worm while I was out on patrol. My wife sent me a Family Gram (restricted to 40 words and read by everyone in the Fleet) telling me about her passing. She didn't mention that it was a dog due to it taking up words. Well, when SubGroup Six got the Family Gram and saw that it mentioned a death, it went to the XO and was sent to my XO (usually reserved for death in the family, etc.).
I got called into the XO stateroom not knowing what's going on and he gave me the message. CDR France asked me if I was okay with the news and I know I had a puzzled look on my face. So he asked me "Who is Smoke"? I told him she was our pet and again he asked if I was okay.
We did get a laugh out of it, but to this day I don't know if they took the death of a pet that serious (I would doubt it) or since no mention of her being a pet, that they assumed it was some person close to me.
As far as I know, I'm the only one to be informed of the passing of a pet by the XO of Sub Group Six!

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Sorry for your loss. Pets do become a part of the family, and their passing is difficult.

C

Craig H.

Brad, that is so sad. Losing a dog brings a horrible type of pain. Give the kids a big hug.

S

somerqc

Sorry about your loss. I have felt this type of loss in the past and may feel it soon.

On Wednesday, my dog has an ultrasound. Due to his age (he is around 80 in human years), if it is bad then we may be in the same scenario. We may be looking at cancer of the liver and/or kidneys.

Anybody have experience in explaining why the dog won't be around anymore to a 4 yr old? :(

John

BradM

Leader
Admin
Sorry about your loss. I have felt this type of loss in the past and may feel it soon.

On Wednesday, my dog has an ultrasound. Due to his age (he is around 80 in human years), if it is bad then we may be in the same scenario. We may be looking at cancer of the liver and/or kidneys.

Anybody have experience in explaining why the dog won't be around anymore to a 4 yr old? :(

John

No John, I don't. I sure wish I did. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Please let us know how things go. Start a thread if you like; I woefully underestimated how much it has helped having other people tell about their pets (and their condolensces).

BradM

Leader
Admin
Suggestion: Go and pick out another now. The longer you wait the harder it is. Been there, done that, not my first rodeo.

I am sorry for your family's loss.

Yea, that was my line of thinking. But the wife wants to wait a bit.

Today is much better. Last night was kind of tough. Since he was a little dog, he would crawl under the covers down by her feet and sleep all night. So, I think she slept a bit restless last night.

All.... I truly cannot let you know how much I appreciate all the nice thoughts and such. I guess if you're not a pet person, it seems a little silly from the outside. But if you are a pet person, we understand how these creatures develop a personality of sorts, and become part of the gang.

One of my coworkers said "Ya know, I kind of get tired of the ole mangy mut blocking the bathroom door and laying on my legs.:lol: But, I'll sure miss him when he isn't there.."

Again, thanks all.:yes:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Now you've really made me hurt.

I quit owning dogs because I didn't want to be responsible for killing them anymore. Every dog I have ever owned (or that has owned me) has ended up the same way. I nearly had a heart attack when Schwartzy "H. Norman Schwartzkopf" got run over. Both Schwartzy and his brother "Higgins", red minature Dachsunds got out into the road as did a couple of mine when I was a kid got hit. Schwartzy was looking at me when the vet had to put him down because or head and brain trauma, I held him and said goodbye.

I love doggies. They're honest, they're always happy to see you and they know when you hurt and just need a quiet friend to sit by.

You got this old boy crying here Brad for you guys and Adrian

Randy, thank you. Not sure why God builds some with such big hearts for the dogs, but I guess I'm one of them.

We had another dog, a polmeranian. Rilla (the wife) said it kind of moped around a bit yesterday; of course that did not help the healing process.

Adrian was a defiant, disobediant little cuss, but like you said, it did not matter what kind of day you had, he would come to you demanding attention!:)

CycleMike

Registered Visitor

John

No, but I'd leave out the euthanasia part.

I'm too choked up to add anything more.................sorry.

Last edited:

CHRSCLLNGS

Involved In Discussions
Sorry to hear about your loss Brad, we lost our first dog, Candy, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in a house fire (along with pet rats, fish, guinnea pigs and rabbits) 3 years ago, it still hurts today and part of me still wishes that I went back in to get her. the fire officer said that if I had, I wouldn't be here today.
When we had rebuilt and moved back in, the wife didn't want another one, that thought lasted 2 weeks, there was something missing from the family, so one day she phoned me at work to say that she had found one (same breed) about 200 miles away. So after work, the four of us trekked up to get him. Stevie is now about 3, and has since been joined with Maisey. I wouldn't be without them now, but still miss Candy every day, even though she was mental!

Attachments

• DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear, Brad.

I fear we may have to face this soon - our dog (13) and cat (20) are getting up there. They were our kids before we had kids (8 and 4 this year).

Top Bottom