The FDA's stance on Cloned Meat - Is cloned meat as safe as normal meat?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: Is cloned meat as safe as normal meat?

What is FDA's stance on this?

Refer from the FDA website on Animal Cloning -

In 2001, when it became apparent that animal cloning may become a commercial venture to help improve the quality of herds, FDA requested livestock producers and researchers to keep food from animal clones or their offspring out of the food supply. Since then, FDA has conducted an intensive evaluation that included examining the safety of food from these animals and the risk to animal health.

Based on a final risk assessment, a report written by FDA scientists and issued in January 2008, FDA has concluded that meat and milk from cow, pig, and goat clones and the offspring of any animal clones are as safe as food we eat every day.

K

Ka Pilo

Refer from the FDA website on Animal Cloning -

In 2001, when it became apparent that animal cloning may become a commercial venture to help improve the quality of herds, FDA requested livestock producers and researchers to keep food from animal clones or their offspring out of the food supply. Since then, FDA has conducted an intensive evaluation that included examining the safety of food from these animals and the risk to animal health.

Based on a final risk assessment, a report written by FDA scientists and issued in January 2008, FDA has concluded that meat and milk from cow, pig, and goat clones and the offspring of any animal clones are as safe as food we eat every day.
Hi Ajit,
Thanks for informative post. Thw next question would be "Does the company that is selling cloned meat required to label the product as such?"

A

arios

Hi Ajit,
Thanks for informative post. Thw next question would be "Does the company that is selling cloned meat required to label the product as such?"

Probably only if they are like four-legged chicken on the package or two-headed lambs on the store's fridge :lol:

K

Ka Pilo

Did you read the FDA website ?
Yes, they (FDA) could not even find a way to tell the difference between clone and un-cloned meat. That's why I asked if the origin of the food should be clearly labeled.

K

Ka Pilo

From FDA:

Would food from clones be labeled?
No. FDA is not requiring any additional measures relating to food derived from adult clones of cattle, swine, and goats, and the offspring of clones of any species traditionally consumed as food, including labeling. Under our current laws, FDA may require specific food labeling if there are any safety concerns, or if there is a material difference in the composition of food. We have not identified any food safety concerns, and we have found no material difference in food from clones as compared to food from conventionally bred animals. For example, FDA scientists found that the milk components from dairy clones were of the same type and present in the same amounts as milk sold every day. Therefore, there is no science-based reason to use labels to distinguish between milk derived from clones and that from conventional animals. Should a producer express a desire for voluntary labeling (e.g., "this product is clone-free"), it will be considered on a case-by-case basis to ensure compliance with statutory requirements that labeling be truthful and not misleading.
It's clear that labeling a cloned meat is not a requirement. But my point in asking the question is that a company responsible for the cloned meat also have a responsibility to the customers. I am hearing people blaming the "ignorant" public.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

From FDA:

It's clear that labeling a cloned meat is not a requirement. But my point in asking the question is that a company responsible for the cloned meat also have a responsibility to the customers. I am hearing people blaming the "ignorant" public.
The responsibility to the customers is to provide food products that are safe to eat. Practically all of the plant matter that we eat is the product of some form of genetic manipulation, from potatoes to bananas. Why should meat be any different?

K

Ka Pilo

The responsibility to the customers is to provide food products that are safe to eat.
I know that "freedom of choice" has nothing to do with the thread but I hope somebody can link it to customer focus. IMHO, the customer should be given freedom of choice. But how can they choose between cloned and natural meat if it is not labelled? If place of origin is important on food labeling, why should labeling cloned or natural meat be any different?

Practically all of the plant matter that we eat is the product of some form of genetic manipulation, from potatoes to bananas. Why should meat be any different?
Labelling something as cloned would cost no more, so why shouldn't be labeled as such?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I know that "freedom of choice" has nothing to do with the thread but I hope somebody can link it to customer focus. IMHO, the customer should be given freedom of choice. But how can they choose between cloned and natural meat if it is not labelled? If place of origin is important on food labeling, why should labeling cloned or natural meat be any different?

Labelling something as cloned would cost no more, so why shouldn't be labeled as such?
You're absolutely right. We should also label meat with date of slaughter, so that astrologers can have freedom of choice.

Top Bottom