The FMEA Mini-Series: Using an FMEA vs. SxO for Prioritizing

A

Al Dyer

Laura,

Your statement:

MHO? - the occurrance criteria being used should be established when you start out.....

You have it in the proverbial nutshell!!!!

Thought Process!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASD...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by FMEA best:

yOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE SEVERITY OF DYING ONLY THE OCCURANCE OF IT HAPPENING OR THE DETECTION OF THIS THE WARNING SHUTE IS A DETECTION METHOD SO CHANGES THE DETECTION SCORE AND NOT THE SEVERITY. tHE SMART CHUTE IS WHERE YOU ARE REDUCING THE OCCURANCE OF SOMEONE DYING SO AGAIN YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE SEVERITY OF SOMEONE DYING BUT YOU CAN REDUCE THE OCCURRANCE OR INCREASE THE DETECTION BEFORE JUMPING.
Now you're just being silly. We're getting the same verbal gymnastics again.

Just because you can cite a case where you believe the severity cannot be modified does not extend to imply, much less prove, that in no case is this possible.

To those of you who still feel that you can never modify a severity rating through a design change, I suggest you write a paper and contact the ASQC and other related organizations. Every FMEA book I have read in the last 15+ years states this basic premise. I believe if you can prove your theory you will be the first to do so and will probably go down in 'quality history'. Your revelation will be a turning point and will profit you greatly. You will cause authors to rewrite their books and training companies will change their courses. As an example, you will force the AIAG to change their statements on pages 21 and 43 of their FMEA manual.

I am anxiously awaiting such a paper as well as agreement from your peers that your premise is correct. Until then, I personally will continue as I have for over 15 years - I will modify the severity of an FMEA line item through a design change.

F

FMEA best

yOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE SEVERITY OF DYING ONLY THE OCCURANCE OF IT HAPPENING OR THE DETECTION OF THIS THE WARNING SHUTE IS A DETECTION METHOD SO CHANGES THE DETECTION SCORE AND NOT THE SEVERITY. tHE SMART CHUTE IS WHERE YOU ARE REDUCING THE OCCURANCE OF SOMEONE DYING SO AGAIN YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE SEVERITY OF SOMEONE DYING BUT YOU CAN REDUCE THE OCCURRANCE OR INCREASE THE DETECTION BEFORE JUMPING.

D

D.Scott

I agree Marc. I am sure we could come up with a lot of examples on real FMEAs where a design change HAS reduced the severity rating.

The topic was fun for a while, but as you say don't beat the dead horse here. Take it to somebody who cares.

Dave

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It has been fun and, I believe, informative and thought provoking. And I remember years ago I had trouble with the concept until I had been on several FMEA teams. I admit I was a bit 'rough' in my last post, but -- geezzzzz. I also wanted to point out that this is not just my opinion.

I

Ibrahm

Halo, I am new here in this interesting forum.
In column of 'detection' , if I want to rank based on the ability to detect the cause of the failure, how can I do that. The table in FMEA manual seems only for ranking based on the ability to detect the failure. Can I mix the two approach (rank based on detection the cause and detection the failure)? the rank will be very different.
Can anybody explain to me about this? thank you.

M

MSAFAI

Dear Ibrahm,

Please see the discussion in the FMEA manual.

D ranking relates to the ability of your detection system, it doesn't matter if it to detect the cause or the failure mode.

So to my understanding you can use the same ranking table for the cause as well as the failure.

Good Luck
MSAFAI

A

Al Dyer

Originally posted by MSAFAI:
Dear Ibrahm,

Please see the discussion in the FMEA manual.

D ranking relates to the ability of your detection system, it doesn't matter if it to detect the cause or the failure mode.

So to my understanding you can use the same ranking table for the cause as well as the failure.

Good Luck
MSAFAI

Be careful, the detection rating assumes the failure has already occurred.

Detection ratings apply to how well your current process controls will detect the failure.

I can't see where the Severity, Occurance, and Detection ratings can be interchanged.

MHO

ASD...

M

MSAFAI

Dear Al,

I think there was a misunderstanding.

I was only talking about D-ranking table. I meant it can refer to the ability of a control method to detect a 'failure mode' or a 'cause'. (type 2 and 3 controls)

Regards,
MSAFAI

I

Ibrahm

For MSAFAI and All Dyer, thank you for the reply. Maybe I need to explain my case more clearly. There is one failure mode, just say the wire color is red (I work in cable industry), the potential cause is too high temperature of annealing. S = 8, O = 6.
There are two Current process control in practice: check temperature 1 time per shift, and inspect 100 % of the product.
To find D:
If I use the first current control, D will be 5, so RPN = 240. Need action (I use RPN 100 as a limit)
If I use the second one, D will be 2, so RPN = 96. No need action.
What should I choose? In my opinion, I should lead my process to be failure preventive. So 100 % product inspection should be avoided. But according to the manual,that states that we can use type 2 of 3, It seems that we can choose the number of RPN. We want to high, use the second approach (in my case above). We want to low, use the first one. Am I correct?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 24
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 38
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 30
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 6
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 16
C VDA Vol.4 - Evaluation of an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
D Do you need requirements for a Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Need feedback: FMEA Web Application FMEA and Control Plans 5
N Process FMEA Occurrence Ranking for New Process FMEA and Control Plans 3
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
optomist1 AFMEA - Algorithm FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Information on the roll out of the new harmonized DRAFT FMEA AIAG/VDA manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4