The Goal - by Eli Goldratt - A new way of looking at productivity

R

Ravi Khare

The Goal

Has 'The Goal' by Eli Goldratt been discussed on this forum before? If it was, it must have been some time ago.

I like the book, and believe that it puts age old holy cows like 'Machine Utilization' in their right perspective. The new way of looking at productivity (the book has been around for some time now) certainly sets you thinking.

Appreciation...Criticism??

-Ravi

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Ravi,

We have discussed aspects of The Goal in several discussions over the year and I think that their may be a book review on it. It is a book worthy of a deeper discussion. Admittedly, the book is fading in my mind (Jonas and Herbie, etc.) But here is something to get things started.

Here is what I liked about the book:

The storyline helps to make the reading/learning process more enjoyable. For me, this is not a critical need (I read plenty of ‘dry’ topics) but for the majority, I think that it may be important.

The exposure to Optimization vs. Maximization.

The exposure to Flow (removing the Herbie’s)

What I didn’t like about the book:

The ‘goal’ is not money, at least, not IMO.

The limited exposure to ‘Systems Thinking’. Several key System Components are not considered but are relevant to the System’s existence.

Back to the group…

Kevin

N

NYHawkeye - 2005

Having spent the last five or so years implementing Drum, Buffer, Rope and several other of Goldratt's concepts, I believe that "The Goal" is an important book that helps lay the foundation for a new way of thinking in manufacturing operations and beyond.

While I found "The Goal" to be an easy, entertaining read that got me interested in the Theory of Constraints, it wasn't until I read other TOC material that I got a much better idea of the power the concepts have to offer.

Two good books that I would recommend as a second step are as follows:

1. If you are interested in the accounting aspects of TOC then "The Theory of Constraints and Its Implications for Management Accounting" by Noreen, Smith, and Mackey is a great start.

2. If you are interested in how to apply TOC to continuous improvement then "Goldratt's Theory of Constraints - A Systems Approach to Continuous Improvement" by Dettmer is the place to start. This is a somewhat dry book that dives into the logic behind TOC but if you have the time and energy to get through it the book has some great tools that can be used for improvement projects.

Hope you find these references useful.

J

jacko

I have also found that the books by Dettmer have been excellent. I began utilizing TOC tools in problem solving and found these to be indispensable in eliminating root causes of some situations that I have been involved in resolving with customers. I facilitated a team of people who worked to resolve a 'nagging' problem, and began utilizing the five tools - - - the result was '0' defects for a three month period (the one defect that occured after the first three months was identified as a operator error and was promptly corrected). The CPK of that parameter was improved from 0.51 to 2.06. Mr. Dettmer even included our brief story in his second book "Breaking the Constraints to World-Class Performance".

D

dustin

The book is good for introductions to TOC but for further knowledge one would have to seek out other sources.

The 45 minute movie version is great to show to your folks that have had no exposure to TOC before. :agree1:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
N A Goal without a Plan is just an Idea ... or - Management Review Meetings and related Processes 11
D Is Failure to achieve a Goal a Major Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B Issue CAR (Corrective Action Request) When KPI Fails to meet Goal Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S Have you ever "used" an auditor to achieve a goal? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
B Corporate Goal about ISO 9001 Registrar Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Parts per Million Goal in an Engineer to Order Company Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Objectives and Targets - Assessing a rate of achieving a goal Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
K Goal - Quality Manager at Global Company Career and Occupation Discussions 9
S Is "Zero Accidents" a realistic goal? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 101
W Benchmarking vs. Goal Setting - Differences Benchmarking 3
M Setting Up a Quality Measurement System - Part of a strategic goal to improve quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Marc Toyota Cuts Production Goal to 7-Year Low World News 1
C Need guideline for setting Training Goal Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
C Annual Goal - Goal and objective form for my annual performance review Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Definition Measurable Goal vs. Relevant Goal vs. Realistic Goal - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
J Difference between a Goal and an Objective within TQM Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P We Share A Common Goal - Printing, paper, and ink (and related) industries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
J Customer Satisfaction - Customer satisfaction goal/objective less than 100%? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
CarolX PPM Reduction Action Plans - Goal of 10 PPM's at Production Launch IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C What is the right method to set quality goal? Goal Setting 10X (68% improvement) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
I Policy & objectives for processes - Written process for policy/objective/goal setting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
H Hoeyster QM - Goal: Eliminate "Final Inspection" - Aerospace precision machining AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J What is difference between the goal of PPAP with APQP, thanks APQP and PPAP 4
C ISO 9001:2000 - Main goal of a communications process in any organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Goal of a procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3