The Golden Age of Travel

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Traveling Friends,

From MSN.com:

The Golden Age of Travel

In the past century, leisure travel has shifted from a luxury enjoyed by the wealthy to a necessity of the middle class. Today, travel is fast and cheap, accessible and affordable. But as airlines and hotels have started to cut back on the amenities they once provided, it's no wonder that today's travelers feel more like cargo than customers.

Read and see more..

Stijloor.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

qualitymanager

A useful look at the impact of technology on social customs ("dressing up" to fly) and leisure.

Randy

Super Moderator
One of my fondest memories is the trip from Chicago to San Francisco I took with my mother and at that time 2 sisters by train in 1955. I remember the porters taking care of us and our room, the folks in the dining car hustling and bustling about and riding in the observation car across the Continental Divide. It was a 1st class trip.

Travel then is nowhere near of like travel now:nope::(

A

amanbhai

I do remember the pampering of air travel in the 1960s. My recent trip to and from Hawaii was far less pleasant than my trip (same airline!) in 1978.
However, travelling is more safer and quicker now than it was before. :cool:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
However, travelling is more safer and quicker now than it was before. :cool:
Not when you factor in the TSA hassle at check-in.

I also remember my fellow passengers being much happier and friendly in the terminal and on the plane. The road warriors seem much more tired and exhausted today than they did back then. I recall lots of weeks when I would put in 6,000 air miles and return home on the weekend ready and able to do household chores and party with family and friends. I also recall lots of evening interaction during the week on the road with clients and friends. (Of course, most hotels didn't have 200 channels of cable TV back then, either!)

I also remember hauling some samples of intricate machined pieces in my hand baggage that would earn me body cavity search and detention today if I tried to take them through TSA. One, a prototype gimbal for a space satellite, would probably have gotten me put into Guatanemo incommunicado.

Randy

Super Moderator
I also remember hauling some samples of intricate machined pieces in my hand baggage that would earn me body cavity search and detention today if I tried to take them through TSA.

One of my favorite activities:lol:

Friday I got a couple of stitches taken out of my fanny as a result of some minor elective surgery(a real pain in the butt). I finally got tired of some airport metal detectors going into fits as I passed through, so I had a few bits of scrap from previous travels removed. I was at the point that I'd just shuck my laundry to get it over with while trying to explain to the TSA folks how it got there to begin with (called history lessons):mad:

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
One of my favorite activities:lol:

Friday I got a couple of stitches taken out of my fanny as a result of some minor elective surgery(a real pain in the butt). I finally got tired of some airport metal detectors going into fits as I passed through, so I had a few bits of scrap from previous travels removed. I was at the point that I'd just shuck my laundry to get it over with while trying to explain to the TSA folks how it got there to begin with (called history lessons):mad:
OK Randy, now that you have shamelessly exposed yourself....:D, how many stitches does it take to set off a metal detector?

Stijloor.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
OK Randy, now that you have shamelessly exposed yourself....:D, how many stitches does it take to set off a metal detector?

Stijloor.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the stitches, but the metal remains of ordnance that found its way into Randy's rump. That can often occur when your transport gets hit by enemy [or friendly] fire.

My wounds were all hand-to-hand blade cuts - no metal left in me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WEAVER Retention of golden samples for GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
E How do you know your test equipment is good? Functional testing and Golden Boards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Calibration vs "Golden Part" ("Control Sample") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
SteelMaiden 'Golden Girls' actress Estelle Getty dies at 84 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc As the earliest wind farms age - Dec 2018 Ars article Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 4
C Is there age of part requirement for PPAP? APQP and PPAP 4
Marc James Garner dies at age 86 World News 2
R Age Discrimination by Chinese Authorities and supported by Automakers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Marc Pete Seeger has died at age 94 World News 2
Marc Did Stone Age cavemen talk to each other in symbols? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
V Is there a retirement age for FDA staff? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P What do you do when a family pet is dying from old age? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
Marc Experts Determine Age of Book 'Nobody Can Read' World News 9
M Shelf-Life - Accelerated Age Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
somashekar Some things just would not change with age - BOROLINE Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Ajit Basrur ABC - New Age Technology Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
T Age Sensitive Materials - Identification and Traceability procedure - Powder Coat ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
B In terms of age, who are the youngest and oldest Elsmar Cove forum members? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 112
A The Prisoner - Patrick McGoohan died Jan. 14, 2009 at age 80 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
eternal_atlas Does the age of the lead auditor matter in QMS audits ? General Auditing Discussions 32
P Monitoring Repair time and age of WIP Service Industry Specific Topics 2
Marc Computers in the Stone Age Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
Marc Oscar Peterson has died at age 82 World News 1
Claes Gefvenberg Let's do age! How 'Old' will you be in 2007? A poll - Version 3 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 91
samer Internet in the Stone Age !!! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
V Age Versus Youth Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Jim Wynne Dennis Weaver Dies at age 81 World News 6
Marc Richard Prior Dies at age 65 World News 0
E Is component engineering a good choice? Would age (in US) be a problem? Career and Occupation Discussions 0
SteelMaiden "Gilligan's Island" actor Bob Denver dies at age 70 World News 8
Jim Wynne We have entered the age of disposable laser printers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 23
Marc Artie Shaw - Bandleader and clarinetist dies at age 94 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Q Has Lean Manufacturing put on weight due to Middle Age? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
M The Age of Spiritual Machines - R. Kurtzweil Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
E Let's do age! How 'Old' are you? A poll - Version 2 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 223
S Looking for an accredited 17025 lab to do heat age testing on automotive fabrics ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
A Managing overseas travel risks to food handlers Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J Travel in Asia - 2016 - 2017 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
L Travel - Route Finder Map HD app After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Hershal Travel! Where have you been of late? What did you see? What do you think? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
arios Business Travel - What do you do "after work" while traveling on business? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 28
J Travel guidence requested - JFK - Providence, RI Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
G ISO 9001 Implementation in a Travel Agency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Marc Has the 2009 Swine Influenza (Flu) changed your travel plans? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 22
D Managing Hotel Services and Selling Travel Tickets - Excluded ISO 9001 Clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Key performance Indicator - Travel @ Tourism ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D An important travel tip Imported Legacy Blogs 4
Marc Why Do You Travel for a Living? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 20
Marc Size of Portable Computer Screen for Travel and Why? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19