The Golden Age of Travel

J

JaneB

Some of ya'll have met me, so how quick do you think I could turn a shoelace into a weapon? Or a paperclip? And I'm a peaceful man............

I wouldn't take you on! :nope:

Half of the people manning the screening areas would slide past their hemmoroids if the real threat came along.

:thanx: :lmao: You do have a way with words, Randy. This one made my day! :lmao:

I've travelled in the USA several times, both pre-2001 and post. Gimme pre- anyday. Phew - those queues!!!!!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
That's a real interesting picture...maybe in a former Soviet Republic...

Actually, I understood these were not esoteric test weapons. Simple guns, knives, etc.
Oh yeah! The blueprint was part of an RFQ. I turned it down because I didn't have open machine time in the customer's time window.

I still have a glass knife which my mom got as a wedding present in 1941 - to cut citrus and tomatoes without staining the blade (stainless steel blades were not common in 1941.)

I just tested it out on a steak and it cut as cleanly as any steak knife I ever owned. Metal detector proof! When I was in Hawaii, I noticed the historic Hawaiian weapons - shark teeth lashed to wood - very lethal, also metal detector proof.

As a gourmet chef, I lust for a ceramic knife, but it's out of even my price range (not a determined assassin's) - also metal detector proof!

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Fellow Covers,

Any Covers with "Lean Manufacturing" experience available to help streamline the "self check in process" at the airport? It now takes three times as long with the same number of gate agents as we had before..:frust::frust: I shall not name to airline...:nope:

(Burned out) gate agents direct traffic to the check in machines that are too close, jump across the counters to assist passengers that have no idea what to do, take your money for luggage, yell names to find people whose luggage tags were just printed, check your ID, etc...

I will not elaborate on what happened next, that's another story...

"We hope you enjoyed traveling with us...."

Stijloor.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
As a process improvement and continual improvement and quality improvement expert...it is difficult to go thru Charlotte or any other airport....without shouting out free advice to the airlines and TSA. I have frequently made comments in spite of my effort to remain quiet..... I suppose the same thing would happen in Detroit with all the ISO and TS folks up there....But, they are trying....Global Entry and Pre-Check are very nice, until some terrorist brings that program to a halt.

Ricky philip

Registered
Traveling Friends,

From MSN.com:

The Golden Age of Travel

In the past century, leisure travel has shifted from a luxury enjoyed by the wealthy to a necessity of the middle class. Today, travel is fast and cheap, accessible and affordable. But as airlines and hotels have started to cut back on the amenities they once provided, it's no wonder that today's travelers feel more like cargo than customers.

Nowadays its not about the cost or ticket fares.. it's about the time taken to reach the destination. it's an estimated 8,403 mi between Las Vegas and India, and flight has to make stops in between. therefore nowadays, its all about faster travel, and how to help passengers reach their destination much faster

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Fellow Covers,

Any Covers with "Lean Manufacturing" experience available to help streamline the "self check in process" at the airport? It now takes three times as long with the same number of gate agents as we had before..:frust::frust: I shall not name to airline...:nope:

(Burned out) gate agents direct traffic to the check in machines that are too close, jump across the counters to assist passengers that have no idea what to do, take your money for luggage, yell names to find people whose luggage tags were just printed, check your ID, etc...

I will not elaborate on what happened next, that's another story...

"We hope you enjoyed traveling with us...."

Stijloor.
Now - 10 years after Jan's last post, technology continues to change travel (mainly airline travel). Anyone want to tell us of some of the changes? E.g.: Check in by "app". E.g.: Flight Check-in : Delta Air Lines

As for service, you get what you pay for, more so today than in years past.

The 10 Most Luxurious First-Class Airline Cabins

Randy

Super Moderator
Now - 10 years after Jan's last post, technology continues to change travel (mainly airline travel). Anyone want to tell us of some of the changes? E.g.: Check in by "app". E.g.: Flight Check-in : Delta Air Lines

As for service, you get what you pay for, more so today than in years past.

The 10 Most Luxurious First-Class Airline Cabins

Almost without fail I get to check in for flights & hotels at least 24 hour early. I get to choose the specific room I want (at least with Hilton where I'm Lifetime Diamond) and of course my airline seat when I book (Lifetime Platinum with American at 2 million+ miles). I do it all on my phone by App. I'm now getting notices of flight/gate changes as they occur and choices of options if there's a travel disruption while flying...all by App. I mainly use "Flight Aware" to track flights, my Weather App of course and Seat Guru to verify seat choices on different aircraft.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Tech is great re: convenience...check in, status changes etc...but the food is scrofulous....and in general (excepting business and whats left of 1st class), travel is mostly analogous to herding sheep...and of course there is the ever increasing adverse demeanor of the airline staff.....I take no pleasure in sharing such info, but that is reality in most cases....of course booking traveling in off-peak periods has its own rewards.

Top Bottom