The Hidden Cost of Using Microsoft Software

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
This should stirrr-r-r-r-r-r the pot a bit.... :notme:

From /.

Detractors of free software like to point out it's not really 'free,' and claim that its Total Cost of Ownership is often comparable with closed-source solutions if you take everything into account. And yet, despite their enthusiasm for including all the costs, they never include a very real extra that users of Microsoft's products frequently have to pay: the cost of cleaning up malware infections. For example, the UK city of Manchester has just paid out nearly $2.5 million to clean up the Conficker worm, most of which was 'a £1.2m [$2million] bill in the IT department, including £600,000 [$1 million] getting "consultancy support" to fix the problems, which including drafting in experts from Microsoft.' To make the comparisons fair, isn't it about time these often massive costs were included in TCO calculations?

Discuss here, or jump in the frey there (if you dare....).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
It is time, but expect few to recognize these costs because weeks of individuals' time can slip by without anyone noticing much. Needed work slows or is stopped (called presenteeism), maybe even costing the company a sale. Technical folks will not likely recognize these issues well, either because they are incapable of quantifying the costs, or they prefer not to consider their Big Plan is seriously flawed. This is happening at my work as we switch from Lotus Notes to Google Mail. The security seems okay so far though.

My husband used to be a Network Administrator for a local newspaper and converted the server system to Linux. The time saved from firefighting those viruses was enormous. He's not confused about that, but never added up the dollar figures.

It is not a very different issue than identity theft. The hours upon hours to resolve the problem are largely borne by the customer, while financial houses pass their lost time costs on to other customers.

P

Polly Pure Bread

i think any computer that is connected to the internet without antivirus software is susceptible to attack e.g. malware infections, etc.

any other convincing hidden costs to consider for fair comparison?

Z

zancky

I would like to add to the weekly cost for updating the system in order to solve vulnerability. i.e. the cost of the internet connection time, the time spent to reboot the machine (closing all program, etc with a sever it means even 10 minutes), the hard disk space used by each updating to store information.

P

Polly Pure Bread

I would like to add to the weekly cost for updating the system in order to solve vulnerability. i.e. the cost of the internet connection time, the time spent to reboot the machine (closing all program, etc with a sever it means even 10 minutes), the hard disk space used by each updating to store information.
Are you referring to Microsoft Office or Free Alternative Office? Whichever the two, be it Microsoft Office or Alternative Office --you will always encounter hardware, software, network problems becuase we are talking about computer system.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
This should stirrr-r-r-r-r-r the pot a bit.... :notme:

From /.

Detractors of free software like to point out it's not really 'free,' and claim that its Total Cost of Ownership is often comparable with closed-source solutions if you take everything into account. And yet, despite their enthusiasm for including all the costs, they never include a very real extra that users of Microsoft's products frequently have to pay: the cost of cleaning up malware infections. For example, the UK city of Manchester has just paid out nearly $2.5 million to clean up the Conficker worm, most of which was 'a £1.2m [$2million] bill in the IT department, including £600,000 [$1 million] getting "consultancy support" to fix the problems, which including drafting in experts from Microsoft.' To make the comparisons fair, isn't it about time these often massive costs were included in TCO calculations?

Discuss here, or jump in the frey there (if you dare....).
If we're just talking about MS products being vulnerable to malware, it has to be understood that it's because it's such a large target. Any software including Linux or Apple that could potentially gain ascendancy would face the same problems because they're not intrinsically less vulnerable. If we assume (and there's no reason not to at present) that MS will maintain its massive market indefinitely, then there could be advantages in moving away from it. But if that's done on a large enough scale, the malware will inevitably follow.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
If we're just talking about MS products being vulnerable to malware, it has to be understood that it's because it's such a large target.
I agree. It's not that they can't crack Apples or Linux - they just don't care about them.

And, for the work I do and the variety of software I use, it is all available in Windows system formats - and can be easily collaborated.

I have been forced to use Apples on occasion, and - much like a dental appointment - was glad when it was over.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
I agree. And, for the work I do and the variety of software I use, it is all available in Windows system formats - and can be easily collaborated.

I have been forced to use Apples on occasion, and - much like a dental appointment - was glad when it was over.
Good. Nothing like keeping most folks on Windows. It'll keep the virus and malware target on Windows (according to Jim).

BTW - I'm running XP in a VM on my Mac right now. It's nice to be able to run any OS in a VM on my Mac. It's especially nice to be able to run Windows in a VM sandbox. When everyone was being warned about the isixsigma site, of course I could go there without worrying on the Mac side. I did fire up XP on a VM and went there and watched it infect the VM so I knew the site was hacked and doing cross site scripting. So I just shut down the VM, clicked on revert and bingo - Back where I was before I went to the isixsigma site.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc FDA safety scandal: 50K hidden reports of heart device malfunctioning - May 2019 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Discovery of "hidden" FDA database of malfunctions Customer Complaints 6
Marc Science Historian Deciphers Plato's Hidden Code World News 0
U The Hidden Competitor The Reading Room 9
J FMEA as a Confidential Document - PPAP Level 3 - Can the FMEA be hidden? FMEA and Control Plans 32
J Customer information according to 8.3.3 - Hidden, undetectable defects IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
CaliperJim Cost of Quality calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
A AS9100D new certification cost?? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J COST OF POOR QUALITY IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
marmotte MDD legacy until 2024 - EUDAMED, role (and cost!) of the EC Rep EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
N Guidance - Cost of Good Quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
C Budgetary cost to obtain ASME NQA-1 Quality Program Certification Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
C ISO 19227 Validation Cost Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A How much does a complete biocompatibility test package cost? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B Lowest cost way to pass Lead Auditor exam ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
optomist1 Automotive News The Cost of Inspecting In Quality IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S IEC 62304 - Software verification cost IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 10
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Estimated cost for MDR certification Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
JoCam Medical Device Recalls - Manufacturer's obligation for covering cost EU Medical Device Regulations 17
N European Authorised Representative (also called Authorized Representative) - Cost competitive recommendation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
G When preventative action is prohibited by cost in 8D problem solving Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
T MDSAP AO Cost ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M What is a reasonable MDSAP cost? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Warranty costs - What is your definition of a "warranty cost"? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Establishing a monthly scrap cost target Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
S Handling Cost of Sales requests for Customer Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S MDSAP cost per jurisdiction ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C What is your Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Gage Block Verification or buy a new set (cost aspect) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Cost of Deviating Away From PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
N What is the Cost of Tracking Non-Conforming Product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Cost to a dealer for a "Declaration of Conformity " "Gost-R" in Ukraine? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W How much would it cost to setup a Quality System for a Repackager or Relabeler? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
JoCam Cost of maintaining CE Mark Regulatory Approval Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Cost of DMF Type III preparation and submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Looking for good, low cost APQP Software recommendations APQP and PPAP 2