The last four minutes of Air France flight 447

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
I believe even rudimentary single-engine propeller-driven aircraft have pitot tube heaters to prevent blockage from ice build up. Of course, speed is far slower and outside temperatures higher compared to a passenger jet. Don't certificated aircraft incorporate that feature? If so, was the problem a heater failure?

Last edited:
M

MIREGMGR

It's an interesting analysis. The closing was a bit disappointing, though.

OK, fine, so Air France hasn't installed Buss technology. I'm not sure if there's a subtle bit of German-French friction in play or what, but I don't find that condemnation useful.

Where can I find out which airlines have installed the Buss technology in their Airbus equipment?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Air France Crash Suggests Inadequate Training

With the recovery of the black boxes and the data analysis, we now know much more about the accident. There might be some significant changes for crew training as a result of this review;

The focus of the investigation into why Air France Flight 447 crashed into the Atlantic a year ago is starting to change now that safety experts have begun evaluating information from the Airbus A330-200’s flight recorders.

Questions surrounding human factors are moving into the spotlight as the investigation further unfolds, with concerns of turbulent weather and pitot-tube icing shifting into the background.

French accident investigation agency BEA released a three-page memo May 27 containing factual information excerpts that is likely to be followed by a more in-depth interim report within the next few weeks, possibly by the end of this month. The final report is not expected until 2012; it should also address concerns raised by some about technical problems with the A330.
Read the whole article.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I believe even rudimentary single-engine propeller-driven aircraft have pitot tube heaters to prevent blockage from ice build up. Of course, speed is far slower and outside temperatures higher compared to a passenger jet. Don't certificated aircraft incorporate that feature? If so, was the problem a heater failure?
I have followed this for a while. I haven't been in a cockpit as PIC in close to 30 years now, but I still have a thing for flying. The defect was a known design defect. I think there was a notice out and replacements were being made but it wasn't determined to be a "ground the fleet" problem. And you have to admit, for all of them out there this is the only crash that has been attributed to the pitot tubes on this type of aircraft. The defect was known through single pitot probe heater element failures and replacements. There was data which triggered a design change, a new design was in place and the new design was in production. It appears that this is in part a case of two failures (the main pitot probe and the backup pitot probe) at about the same time. It's a "what are the odds?" scenario. Dual (and in some cases triple) pitots are on every commercial aircraft. If it's a jet (private or commercial), it typically has at least 2. If it's a "private" propeller job it will typically have 1. And yes - They are heated, but heating elements do fail.

I remember when I did my training years ago that was a *big* thing they drilled into you in Instrument and ATP training. You loose your pitot and you're in a heap of trouble if you're IFR especially in clouds and/or over water, and because failure is rare it's something you don't expect. And when they go it's typically a slow, a gradual change. The element burns out but it's not like On/Off. Ice slowly builds up. The main indication is a gradual, unexplained drop in air speed. Even when you do figure out your pitot went non-functional, knowing your airspeed is critical to controlling the aircraft. It's less of an issue if it's a clear night and you're over land so you have reference points. But if you're flying IFR and you're in clouds and/or you're over a large body of water you have no visual reference points. I think report on the Kennedy that crashed his airplane some years back essentially was caused by his not being IFR rated and he was flying at night over water. Even though it was a clear night he lost his frame of reference (he was over a large body of water) and not being instrument rated did not have the skills and training to recognize and respond to what was happening. IFR is tough. It's "Trust Your Instruments" because your body is telling you the craft is doing something it's not (the inner ear aspect).

If you don't know your *true* air speed (as opposed to your ground speed) you can have a serious problem.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yes, small aircraft have pitot heaters as do large commercial and military fighter aircraft. I can't believe that this airframe doesn't have one, the technology is about 70 years or more old and it's as simple as one of those small water heaters you can buy to put in a coffee cup when travelling. (It sure ain't rocket science)

As for the flight crew locations that may or may not be a real issue, the real issue is dependency on automated, computerized systems...Looking at some of the data the engines were at 55% power and they had an AoA of about 35degrees and those conditions may have very well been outside the flight/design envelope. Something definitely did not allow them to recover from the stall they got into because they didn't or couldn't get the nose down that would have allowed recovery (to a certain altitude anyway).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
S When is the last date for transition to ISO/IEC 80079-34:2018? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Can Ionizer calibration last for 1 year? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Medical Device News Last update of the MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – December 2018 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Re-Numbering Documents from the last Standard to Department and Title Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Marc Astronaut Gene Cernan Dies At 82 - The Last Man to Walk on the Moon World News 5
ScottK Let's Catch Up... what's happened to you since last June Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
D What are the Essential Quality Books in the last 15 years Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Marc The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Ajit Basrur India marks three years since last polio case Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
S Dimensional Issues because of the last years FORD Recall Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
AnaMariaVR2 Why Being the Last Interview of the Day Could Crush Your Chances Career and Occupation Discussions 8
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Marc FDA: Software Failure Behind 24% of Last Year's Medical Device Recalls Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Q Last work week due to immigration process, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Immigration and Expatriate Topics 7
D PSW for Level 1 for a Part Produced for an Order Last Year APQP and PPAP 11
Mikael Working Styles - The lazy, last minutes type Career and Occupation Discussions 13
A IEC 60601-1-6 last release or IEC 62366? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 17
L Regulatory basis for the practice of quality as the last signatory on approvals 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Do you tie a Nonconformance (NC) into the last Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K How do I oblige the company to give my last pay and benefits? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
chris1price The final version of the RoHS2 recast was published last week as 2011/65/EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
M Questions pertaining to our last audit - Fix or Minimum Document Retention time? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
7 SPC Monitoring for Pouches Manufactured Last Year - Tensile Strength Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Repeat Visits By Same External Auditor for the Last 10 Years General Auditing Discussions 22
V TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6 Requirements - Last Audit NCR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
M About First and Last Piece Procedure & Marking, Packing, Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R Interpretation of PED Annex 4.3, last paragraph (appropriate quality-assurance system CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Hershal BBC series of Robin Hood - Last episode end of 3rd season Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Fred Flintstone Synthetic Stone DVDs last 1000 Years After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Marc Will that computer last forever? 1970's computer crashes After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
bobdoering Wheeler is back again! He says it is the last volley! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G Auditor had no findings for last few years - Fed up with the whole thing... General Auditing Discussions 77
Howard Atkins ISO 3591 - Sensory analysis - Wine tasting glass - At last a useful ISO standard Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Paul Simpson Is the IAF drinking in the last chance saloon? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 55
N 'Built to last' Outdoor ISO Flags Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
A CQE Exam Prep - Do you have any last minute study tips for me? Professional Certifications and Degrees 19
D No Changes in the QMS since last audit - Need to Re-audit for coming Surveillance? Internal Auditing 17
Claes Gefvenberg I suppose it was too good to last. Imported Legacy Blogs 10
P Last-off-part comparison used to validate the set-up (TS16949 Clause 7.5.1.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Development of the TL9000 and the QuEST-Forum in the last 8 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 6
C Calibration of equipment not used since last calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Marc 100 things we didn't know last year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
K Looking for some Quality Catch Phrases - First Piece and Last Piece Displays Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 34
S First and Last Inspection - Why do we need "Last Inspection"? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A Verification of job set-ups - "Last-off-part comparisons are recommended"? 7.5.1.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Google Earth v4 Released: Mac and Linux Support at Last After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
J ISO/TS 16949 Pre-assessment Audit last week and it went very well! General Auditing Discussions 7
J Pre-assessment audits for TS 16949 - How long will the audit last? General Auditing Discussions 2