SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

The Layout of Dimensional Results and What to Provide the Customer

O

Oskar_S

Here comes a couple of questions and thoughts about the layout of the Dimensional Results.

When conducting a dimensional results how do you /your company show what each measurements stands for. At my company they use a form very similar to the one presented in the PPAP manual. You put a number before each measurement but no explanation of what the measurement stands for.

Do you attach a paper copy of the drawing with all numbers written down so the customer can see where each measurement have been taken? This solution are a bit time consuming and its hard to make it look professional.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
What I have seen is tpically when a contract is accepted there is a print. That print is 'marked up' (if it not alrady) with a number by each dimension. It is that print that is used to associate each dimension measured and the measurement results on something like a spreadsheet. The customer gets a copy of the marked up print with the measurement results.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Here comes a couple of questions and thoughts about the layout of the Dimensional Results.

When conducting a dimensional results how do you /your company show what each measurements stands for. At my company they use a form very similar to the one presented in the PPAP manual. You put a number before each measurement but no explanation of what the measurement stands for.

Do you attach a paper copy of the drawing with all numbers written down so the customer can see where each measurement have been taken? This solution are a bit time consuming and its hard to make it look professional.
Yes, a "marked up" drawing showing numbers next to the specifications is included. That way, the reviewer can easily match the specification with the actual results.

Stijloor.

O

Oskar_S

Well it seems logic to do it in that way. In what stage do you mark the blueprint with numbers? The way we have it the one making the measurements scan and attach a copy of the blueprint and write down the numbers by hand. I think this looks very unprofessional so we are working towards the idea that Design department put the numbers in the original Design Record.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
If your company is making/controlling the print, you can have the CAD people mark up the drawing any way you want when they do the print. They might want to put an explanation note on the print as to what the numbers are for.

If you are receiving a CAD file from a customer, that's another issue. Technically you could give it to your CAD people and have them mark it up and print it out. But - That may be more work than simply physically marking the print.

O

Oskar_S

We both innovate, design and produce the products so we can do whatever we want with the drawings :) The problem is that for one product, different customers have different critical measurements. When the Design Record is made up is there are no customers with force us to go back to the Design Record afterwards to mark up the different numbers and so. But i guess its just a minor problem.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
The problem is that for one product, different customers have different critical measurements.
How are the different measurements toleranced on the print if each customer has different "critical measurements"? I assume that as least some of the dimensions are common to different customers even if each customer requires different tolerances.

P

Phil Fields

When I had the responsibility of inspecting/documenting 1st article samples I would mark up the drawing. I would use a template making each dimension with a hexagon shape (ballooning) and free hand numbering each hexagon. I would mark each view of the drawing in a clockwise direction.

The inspection form would then be marked from 1 to the last numbered hexagon number along with the corresponding dimension/tolerance.

Phil

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I would use a template making each dimension with a hexagon shape (ballooning) and free hand numbering each hexagon. I would mark each view of the drawing in a clockwise direction.
Thanks, Phil. I was typing and forgot the term ballooning.

This is a software review of DISCUS, but it gets the idea across: Annotating first article inspection requirements.

In situations I have been in where a customer print was supplied, typically the inspection department ballooned the print in coordination with the responsible quality engineer. It was always done by hand.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Is Gage R&R required on a 100% Dimensional Layout? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Layout and Dimensional Inspection Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
J Dimensional Layout Errors Registered Visitor Articles Archive 4
S Annual Inspection Layout - Based on Customer print ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Microbiological Testing Lab - Layout & Standards Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
S Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.6.2 - Layout Inspection and Functional Testing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
E ISO 17025 Compliant Laboratory Layout ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
J How does Layout Inspection determine Reference Value? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O Make Layout Higher Resolution? Using Minitab Software 1
O Matlab Layout Command to Increase Size Using Minitab Software 1
M Reporting Composite FCF on Layout (GD&T) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Q Is there a recommended lab layout for a ISO TS requirement? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N CMM Layout Data Dispute between two CMM Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Does the Layout Design of a PCB fall under clause 7.3 in ISO 9001 Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
B TS 16949 PPAP/ Layout Inspection Frequency Requirements APQP and PPAP 8
Q Best tools to use to determine the best layout of a given area (Office) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
L TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.1 Layout inspection - Should we pay for this ? APQP and PPAP 4
N General Microbiological Laboratory Layout and Required Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Would like to remodel our QA Layout Laboratory - Your ideas appreciated Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Warehouse Layout Design Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
I Layout Audit Requirements vs. Batch Inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Layout Inspection and Functional Testing - "Product" in 8.2.4.1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Help with Submitting Part Layout Dimensionals - My first ever PPAP (to GM) APQP and PPAP 5
B Laboratory Layout - Please comment & give ideas on my proposal General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Z New Inspection Department Layout - 5S, Lean, etc... Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
H Lean Office and Office Layout - Sales, customer service, marketing, accounting, HR Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Plant Layouts - What should be in a Plant Layout? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
P Document Layout - Different layouts for documents depending upon the author Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M 2 versions (different layout) of the same Quality Policy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L 'U-Shaped Flow' layout of a manufacturing plant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I Definition Product Audit vs. Dock Audit vs. Layout Audit - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 29
I Facility Planning and Layout Programs - Corolap & ALdep software? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Layout inspection - product family approach? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Layout of the Manual of procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
M Minitab macro vs. Layout tool Using Minitab Software 9
D Layout Inspection - Sound systems to a German car manufacturer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V Plant Layout System from Scratch (AutoCAD) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Layout Inspection Format and Improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Layout Table (very large surface plate) Manufacturer Options - Warranty Hub Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
D Layout Of Management Review Meeting Form Management Review Meetings and related Processes 23