The Media (news, etc.) as an Interested Party

Solitude

Starting to get Involved
We have been going through the clause 4.2 on interested parties, and "The Media" has been put forward as a suggested interested party. Does anyone agree that they are, and if so, with respect to 4.2 b), what are the requirements relevant to the QMS?

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
What would the Media be interested in? How much of an interest would they have? If it is any 'interested' parties, then you have to add things like 'State Tax division' (I use this as a, hopefully, over the top example).

What level of Media do you have/use? If you are big into using the Media (politician), then they would probably be an interested party. If you only deal with the Media when the building burns down, then I would say they would not be an interested party.

J

JoShmo

We have been going through the clause 4.2 on interested parties, and "The Media" has been put forward as a suggested interested party. Does anyone agree that they are, and if so, with respect to 4.2 b), what are the requirements relevant to the QMS?

Well it depedns on what you do - your context, for example. Since you don't tell us what your organization actually does which might relate to "the media" (what is that, btw?) its impossible to say.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I agree. Without knowing what your product/service is, it is impossible to say. The answer would be different if you are a ad agency, compared to a small machine shop....

That's why, as JoShmo mentioned, context assessment is paramount, BEFORE you determine if a stakeholder is relevant to your QMS, or not.

K

Kchnwtch

How are you going to show that the media (which one? a news story? advertisement? appearance on America's Most Wanted?) has had an effect, positive or negative, on your QMS?

I could see it on your list if there was news, say, of your merger with a larger/smaller company, or you started a new advertising campaign, or feature article was published in a local paper about your business or an employee.

I could see it even if you're a steel or aluminum (ingot) manufacturer and there are reports that steel or aluminum prices spiked or tanked, and your top customer called you about it, worried...

Solitude

Starting to get Involved
The company that I work for manufactures automation equipment. We have several awards displayed in the main reception from local media who run a "Business Award" competition every year, and report on positives in local business.

I can see that this may give increased exposure to the business and we may get an increase in enquiries, or this could introduce the company to potential new customers who didn't know of us before. Would be interested in what you think.

Thanks.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Please consider that if you consider the media (as essentially a sales and marketing tool) an "interested party"...you would then be considering all of your advertising efforts with magazines, online, etc. as interested parties as well.

Seems like a whole lot of work for no gain. I would not consider the media an "interested party". If your company goes broke, it won't affect the media...so they can't be all that interested...

J

JoShmo

The company that I work for manufactures automation equipment. We have several awards displayed in the main reception from local media who run a "Business Award" competition every year, and report on positives in local business.

I can see that this may give increased exposure to the business and we may get an increase in enquiries, or this could introduce the company to potential new customers who didn't know of us before. Would be interested in what you think.

Thanks.

They are not interested in your products and the quality. Local media are only interested in your money.

Solitude

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for your response. I agree that the media is not interested in our products/services and we now have agreement with the team here that they will not feature as an interested party.

qualprod

I agree with Ninja

T<ken from 9000 2015
interested party

person or organization that can affect, be affected by, or perceive itself to be affected by a decision or activity

It can not be affected if your company get in financial problems.

Top Bottom