The Most Comprehensive Technical File Educational Resource Available Today

F

FongPi

Hello fellow forum members,
I work at a small medical device software startup as many of you have experienced, in companies of this everyone wears lots of hats. While this can make for a very interesting learning experience, it can also be very nerve racking when the task at hand is as something as important as writing a tech file. So my question to you is: What is your advice on the best way to learn how to write a tech file? What are some of the best online resources one can call upon to learn the process in and out? The MDD is very difficult to read for someone without regulatory experience, and I’m essentially looking for something along the lines of “Technical Files for Dummies.” After reviewing the materials that are supplied by the EU I feel like there must be tons of resources that help decode that is being said, and how to correctly address the requirements.
Also, what is the best methodology in preparing addendums or supplements (are they same?) to the tech file? Does a living document mean that a history of the file does not need to be maintained?
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sreenu927

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi FongPi,

There are many in the web. I won't say this is the best, but one of the best ways to develop expertise in writing tech files is, take the essential requirements checklist and try working on it step by step. Understanding the ER is the foremost important thing. And again, different people will have different interpretations. Once you are able to complete the ER checklist, remaining things are quite straightforward. You can prepare your technical file in two parts - Part A is with Table of Contents and brief description of each section/chapter and referencing the document part number for the evidence. Part B includes all test reports/docs that were given as reference. If Clinical Trials are included, then it would need experience in writing the clinical evaluation summary report. If done by Principal Investigator, then it's fine (I am not sure who is responsible for this!!)

Attached is one of the useful documents for understanding EU Medical device regulations strategy and registration process including post market vigilance activities.

Regards,
Sreenu

Attachments

S

SteveK

Additionally have a look at this on the NB-MED site:

http://www.team-nb.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=1205&Itemid=38&lang=en

I have submitted a number of technical files (Class IIa) to NBs and they have been ‘approved’, so I must be doing something right.

The attached is my version of the TF Contents; I use hyperlinks to navigate around as TFs can end up being large (pdf) documents, especially if when you include design history – which can include many stages of development/changes over the years i.e. contain internal reports etc. I have one TF that is now 400 pages! Also include a ‘History Page’ to document updates (but only since last examination by a NB – otherwise it could get silly).

Do searches on the Cove for templates etc to cover the items listed e.g. ‘Clinical Evaluation’.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Attachments

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Manuates used to publish here a nice comparison table having cross referencing for document naming convention between EU and US ...

F

FongPi

Hello Sreenu927!
Thanks for the very helpful advice. So, what are you suggestions on how to write an addendum? I have a technical file which was written previously and there has been some minor changes to the product (software). Where I'm confused is, I've been told not to change any of the text in Part A, however, the information in Part A is now outdated because we have newer versions of supporting documents. So, would the addendum only contain tables of documents and references that have changed? It seems easiest to just re-write the whole thing.

I received one suggestion on updating Part A without changing the tech file, which was to include all the paragraphs and parts that changed, and put it together and call it an addendum. This approach however, seems very sloppy, and the addendum by itself would make no sense since it skips so many important parts of the tech file. Then again, I do realize that since it's an addendum it's meant to be used in conjunction with the original tech file.

So my question to the forum is, when the change is minor, and does not require re-certification by the Notified Bodies, then how are such changes captured? Would it be wrong to re-write most of the tech file, and then provide updated copies of the supporting documents in Part B?

Thanks again to everyone that is helping me with great advice!

F

FongPi

Additionally have a look at this on the NB-MED site:

http://www.team-nb.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=1205&Itemid=38&lang=en

I have submitted a number of technical files (Class IIa) to NBs and they have been ‘approved’, so I must be doing something right.

The attached is my version of the TF Contents; I use hyperlinks to navigate around as TFs can end up being large (pdf) documents, especially if when you include design history – which can include many stages of development/changes over the years i.e. contain internal reports etc. I have one TF that is now 400 pages! Also include a ‘History Page’ to document updates (but only since last examination by a NB – otherwise it could get silly).

Do searches on the Cove for templates etc to cover the items listed e.g. ‘Clinical Evaluation’.

I hope this helps.

Steve
So if there is a revision to a product (software) and then it's revised again, I wouldn't keep adding addendum after addendum, but rather take out the previous update and only include the most recent info? That makes sense.

How do you present this information when the text in say, the general description, is no longer accurate? Or say, if you have a table of applicable standards, is no longer up to date? I guess I'm having trouble figuring out how to present the updated information. I wish there was a sample that I could examine! Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again!

S

SteveK

So if there is a revision to a product (software) and then it's revised again, I wouldn't keep adding addendum after addendum, but rather take out the previous update and only include the most recent info? That makes sense.

How do you present this information when the text in say, the general description, is no longer accurate? Or say, if you have a table of applicable standards, is no longer up to date? I guess I'm having trouble figuring out how to present the updated information. I wish there was a sample that I could examine! Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again!
I am constantly rewriting Technical Files – well updating relevant bits. All the developments e.g. to software, design etc can be added to the ‘Development’ section of the TF. My view is that it is a living document and is constantly evolving (not through addendums!). The cut off point is when it is first submitted to the NB for review – then issue as ‘1.0’ say, i.e. it is ‘frozen’. They may request changes which you conduct and resubmit as issue ‘1.1’ (with the changes summarised on a History Page as suggested in previous post). Again ‘freeze’ this version and keep on file, assuming it is accepted. As far as I’m concerned it then becomes a living, evolving document again as issue ‘1.2’ until it is reviewed by the NB again (which may be a long time in the future). Obviously retain previous copies of the various sections of the TF as various version/issue numbers as well e.g. Clinical Evaluation, ER, Risk Management etc as they individually evolve over time. It is potentially a lot of juggling but that is why you have a QMS.

Steve

F

FongPi

This sounds like a plan! Is there an offical GHTF way to this, or is it up to the manufacturer?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
pittmatj Comprehensive list of countries requiring Registration & Market Authorization Holders Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Root Cause Analysis and "Comprehensive List of Causes" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A Procedure for Supplier Selection and Performance Evaluation - Comprehensive Example Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
C Comprehensive Quality Management Software (database) Recommendations wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 13
S Offsite PPAP Training - Comprehensive course in the Michigan/Ohio area Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Manix How comprehensive should a process flow be? Production Operation Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
C QMS Software Prices - What comprehensive, off the shelf QMS Software do you recommend Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
Z How to keep up with changes on applicable technical standards (EU MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does the DoC require a technical documentation version? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Y EU MDR Technical Documentation - Defined Review EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Discussion: How do you split up your Technical Documentation? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Technical Documentation for a medical device accessory Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
S Assembling technical file for a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Request for information regarding remote medical monitoring software (its technical documentation and the IUD system) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
G Technical documentation for UKCA UK Medical Device Regulations 2
A Technical Documentation => Responsibilities when signing documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Update of Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Similarities between format of technical file for CE and ASEAN common submission dossier template (CSDT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
V How many hrs does it take to create a Technical File (TD)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Updating Technical Documentation regularly => Leaner Release Advice EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Updates to Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Q Structure Technical File for a system EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Documents belonging to Technical documentation to be stored in one file or spread in the QM system? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Fjalar ISO 20417:2021: Technical Data (6.6.4 c) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
L ISO/IEC 20000-6 Technical Areas IT (Information Technology) Service Management 2
D Technical Standard aggregator company suggestions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J How many hours for a NB to review Technical Documentation? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
A Technical documentation ce marking pippete tips CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Medical Device - Technical Documentation structure EU Medical Device Regulations 1
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I "Usability" for technical documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Technical documentation for IVDD General/ other CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C European Technical File for registration in Australia CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
H MD Technical Documentation and SALES possibility EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O Soft and technical skills for a VP of Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A CE-IVD Technical File with Multiple IFUs EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A DMDIV-Variants : definition and technical documentation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Office and manufacturing site relocation effect on Device Technical File CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R MDR & depth of technical files review by NB's EU Medical Device Regulations 18
J Saudi Arabia Technical File Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 2
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3