The necessity and benefit of ISO13485:2016 for a manufacturer of class I devices

JP12345

Starting to get Involved
Hello!

We are a manufacturer of class I and class IIa devices who currently holds ISO 13485:2016 certification. We are a small company (30 employees) and we are certainly feeling the burden of increasing regulatory demands (EU MDR, Brexit changes to UK regulations, MDSAP etc). We recently had to give up our efforts to gain MDSAP certification due to the cost and resource involved. Without the Canadian market our class IIa sales are not necessarily justifying the regulatory expense. It has got me thinking about whether, if we dropped the class IIa products and only sold class I devices whether keeping our 13485 certification (and the hassle/cost of annual audits) is worthwhile? I wondered if anybody had been faced with this dilemma before and what the pros and cons are. I understand that the EU MDR requires that the manufacturer has a QMS but does not specify 13485.

We do sell our class I devices all over the world and I know ISO 13485 is valuable to aid registration in other countries, as well as when we are manufacturing for others. Are there any countries that require 13485 for registration of class I devices?

I would welcome any insight :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

LUFAN

Involved In Discussions
I think it all depends on your desired regulatory market and jurisdiction. Just out of curiosity, which company's did you contact for an MDSAP quote? I've found that MDSAP is roughly 3x 13485 only cost with one AO. Tough pill to swallow if you're selling into Canada only, but it becomes worth it with 3-5 countries.

The only thing I'd mention is that when FDA finally does align with 13485, I am not sure what their intention for compliance vs certification will be since they are an MDSAP participant. I know there's a few countries that required 13485 certification, but I believe majority simply require compliance.

JP12345

Starting to get Involved
Hi @LUFAN thank you for your reply. Our quote for MDSAP was from NSAI. We did consider the adoption of MDSAP by the other countries but we are not selling the IIa product in to those countries so it didn't seem to make it more worthwhile. Do you know if FDA will require a MDSAP audit for only class I? We are only selling class I into the USA at the moment, thanks!

LUFAN

Involved In Discussions
Hi @LUFAN thank you for your reply. Our quote for MDSAP was from NSAI. We did consider the adoption of MDSAP by the other countries but we are not selling the IIa product in to those countries so it didn't seem to make it more worthwhile. Do you know if FDA will require a MDSAP audit for only class I? We are only selling class I into the USA at the moment, thanks!
There has been no talk about the future of MDSAP by FDA. FDA has been talking about formally aligning with 13485 forever, but it's still being dangled out there like a dog chasing a wiener. However, in the past two weeks several articles have been published which indicate FDA's commitment to alignment. I cannot imagine FDA in the near future will require MDSAP like Canada so from that regard, I think you're safe. However, FDA may come to a day where they don't want to bear the cost of routine inspections anymore and put it on the manufacturers and of which case the requirements related to MDSAP and FDA may change.

With all of that that said, your company should ask yourself if not being subject to a routine FDA inspection is worth the MDSAP cost only. Some company's might say yes, some might so no. I would mention to you that in my experience I have found Intertek to have been the lowest of MDSAP providers, but mileage will vary of course.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Necessity of external watchdog next to internal watchdog ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
D The necessity of a SECONDARY CIRCUITS in ME EQUIPMENT (IEC 60601-1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
S Necessity of Legal Register to conform to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, IATF 16949 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
M Interview question - IMS (Integrated Management Systems) a necessity or an ISO mistake? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
V P2, P3, P4 Necessity in regular VDA 6.3 Process Audits VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
D Necessity of Expanded GR&R for Multiple Test Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Is ISO 14001 A 'nice to have' or a necessity? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B Is there a necessity of two sets of KPIs for Delivery Process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
M Limulus Amebocyte Lysate (LAL) Testing: A necessity on every lot? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
Ajit Basrur Necessity of Calibration of Manufacturing Process Equipment Gages, Controllers, Etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A Internal Audit Schedule Updates - Necessity of a revision date on the schedule Internal Auditing 8
S PPAP and Interchangeability - Necessity to re-PPAP when making an Engineering Change APQP and PPAP 5
P Benefit risk analysis on pFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M Clinical Benefit of device that only aids in a process for managing or treating disease EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J ISO 9001 - How to decide if a company needs or will benefit from certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Informational Final guidance – GUIDELINES on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devices covering phthalates which are carc Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Risk/Benefit vs. benefit-risk - Revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Risk-benefit Analysis - Hazard Analysis (HA) and FMEAs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
M Informational EU – SCHEER – Minutes of the Working Group meeting on guidelines on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devic Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Q Risk / benefit Analysis in Risk Management Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Medical Device News FDA News - 14-09-18 - Benefit-Risk Factors to Consider for Substantial Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA news - 05-09-18 - Draft - Uncertainty in Benefit-Risk Determinations Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDSAP benefit for manufacturer of low-risk devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
dgrainger Benefit - What is the definition of Benefit in ISO 14971? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
W Risk Benefit Analysis - ISO 14971:2012 Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 27
C Help with Risk/Benefit Analysis Self-help Device for Diabetics ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Does anyone have an example of Risk-Benefit Analysis per ISO 14971? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P Does anyone know about Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) program in Canada? Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
AnaMariaVR2 Structured Approach to Benefit-Risk Assessment in Drug Regulatory Decision-Making Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
sagai New Draft Guidance from FDA - Factors considered for Risk/Benefit Determination Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
B Good Auditors - What is the benefit I get from NC & OFI General Auditing Discussions 25
Z Does a Tooling Build or Design Benefit From TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Sidney Vianna Study: Companies, employees benefit directly from ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
J Cost-Benefit Analysis of Internal Quality Audit Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Sidney Vianna How to get the greatest benefit from your AS9100 registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
ScottK Bills: what's the benefit to me of going paperless Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Ajit Basrur Booklet on Medical Devices for the benefit of all our employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Does Your Organization Really Benefit from Internal Audits? Time for a Change? Internal Auditing 149
B Form Identification Numbers - I do not really understand the benefit of a form number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
H How internal audit benefit the management level? Internal Auditing 1
M Does 6 Sigma Really Give Benefit Or Improvment In Medium And Small Organisations? Six Sigma 1
D Registrars - Benefit or Burden? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
D TS 16949 Cost Benefit Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Marc Start Your Cost Benefit Analysis - Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1