The Paradox of Toyotaism vs. TQM (Total Quality Management)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
new_user @ email.msn.com a écrit:...

> Thanks for the note Kim,

>the Japanese love and have succeeded with, "turning people into machines,
> making people think they are not machines" the paradox of Toyotaism.

Great! A hidden face of "just in time" production. The fact is not to point out Toyota and the venerable Shigeo Shingo as responsible. But as it happens most of the time, a concept is criticized for what it has been done to it. Nobody will logically reject the Toyota's production, simply because it's the model where new ideas as Kanban and SMED, has proven for the first a lack of a production system and the way to improve it. If I take the example into the book of Keniche Sekine: "Zero stock production" (original title as "Nikkan Kogyio Shimbun", sorry for bad Japanese). we notice that the production of Toyota improve from 980 cars in 1950 with 5500 employees to a huge 244660 cars in 1978 with 45360 workers. The ratio is 5 workers for a car in 58 for 5 cars a man in 1978, not so bad, isn't it? We do suppose it, because Nissan adopt something similar named APM (advanced production management)! The evidence for Japanese is not that to work in such factory is easier than a European, certainly not! But he accepts it quicker, mainly because no other choice is left.

Now about to "learn of our mistake" is not inclusive of a TQM approach as it said. Books on industrial psychology such as G. Morgan's Image of organisation, teach us about a continuous spiral of detecting, correcting. called Double-loop (vs. single). TQM is becoming an enormous balloon where everybody finds what he wants :-(((

"Toyotaism" is the JIT develop to the extreme limits. Replace zero stock by no stock never at all, Just in time by "tight flow" where deliveries arrive a minute before you need it, has finally transformed trucks and vans into permanent mobile warehouses. Considering the situation in the East of Canada, such a shortcut increase road crashes by 17% for the 90ties and that is only the top of it. What about road repairs, social costs, increasing security officers, and so.? No answer! What about unpredictable weather conditions as Iced Storm, hurricane, which disrupts chain of supplies within few days? No answer!

The same reduced understanding may be extending to every concept and particularly TQM. Try to imagine the reaction of a manager if you explain him there is no fix definition for the Quality management philosophy. He will go to the essential: What it will cost and how long does it will take for a complete implementation. Now he is facing the challenge of his career: to go trough it! Most of time, the only visible part (from outside) is the recognition of his success; The ISO certification! No time to do it himself, too complicated to read and understand general principles and theories, Self-assessment or Quality prices (Qualimetre, Deming award, Malcolm Balbridge awards.) does not give the organizations what they need to prove the accomplishment of their Quality process. Thus, the best way is to buy a "turnkey operation" system which fits the business needs, mostly implemented trough rigid "Project management" methods

All the great speeches about human resource involved or not in the procedure of TQM is more often than not, resume for a client (or a contractor) by: "Are you certified ISO or not?" And that is dramatically all! Try to convince your client (Hydro-Quebec, Boeing) that you have got a production award; he simply doesn't care about it. The recognition is all what they need to assume position on to the global and highly competitive market. This implicates that if your business needs it, you will have it. It's a "must" to survive whatever the way you have to do it, even if you are oblige to reduce you employee (number or salary) to be finally lower on your production cost. That's the way I'm jobless!

Best regards

--
Jacques D. Vandersleyen
Pintendre, Québec

Marc

Leader
Newsgroups: misc.industry.quality
Subject: Re: TQM is too harrrrdddddd....

>I am having a problem with "stifles creativity and adopts a "hard" non
>forgiving environment where management rule is supplemented by TQM rule".
>It seems to me that neither Management nor TQM "rule" but provide leadership
>and a vision. A clear plan on continuous improvement of all the processes
>that provide the customer with service and product. This leadership is
>receptive to "breakthrough" concepts that lead to new levels of performance.
>People are encouraged to find new ways to accomplish the tasks at hand.

While you are correct in what the intent of TQM is supposed to be implemented as. TQM, like so many quality programs including ISO, QS, etc. have been implemented poorly and without changing the mindset of management. I am not saying that this is true of all or even most companies. But there are enough of them that use this system as a way to monitor the employees rather than giving responsibility and accountibility into the hands of the employees.

I have even seen a couple of MB and state quality award winners go this route after they have gotten the awards. Without changing management, you cannot even begin to keep a system alive at the employee level.

And, in light of the original "panopticon" example, employee usually figure a way around the management by taking problems underground and away from the monitoring system.

In my experience, the employees live up to your outwardly expressed expectations. That is, if you put in a system that says "I don't trust you so I have to monitor you very closely" you will get exactly that... employees who can't be trusted. I know there are always those folks who have a discipline problem, but why are they in that position if they cannot perform that job to the quality level you expect?

I have seen actual TQM fundamentals applied successfully and the company didn't have to spend a large chunk of money doing it. The people held themselves accountable and responsible for the quality they produced. Goals were set with the individual's interests involved and the company's needs as well. This company also knew its plant capacity and never overbooked. Funny thing, this company is highly succesful in what they do, yet they didn't realize that they were implementing a buzz word, they thought they were doing the things that were good for their business success and survival. Slan Leat!

Phil McManus

Marc

Leader
Is 'Toyotaism' still used as a descriptive term? Anyone here working with they or know what's up?

C

cncmarine

"Toyotaism" is the JIT develop to the extreme limits. Replace zero stock by no stock never at all, Just in time by "tight flow" where deliveries arrive a minute before you need it, has finally transformed trucks and vans into permanent mobile warehouses. Considering the situation in the East of Canada, such a shortcut increase road crashes by 17% for the 90ties and that is only the top of it. What about road repairs, social costs, increasing security officers, and so.? No answer! What about unpredictable weather conditions as Iced Storm, hurricane, which disrupts chain of supplies within few days? No answer!
Contingency plans!!!!!

No answer????????? You always have an answer in the automotive industry.

First of all to have JIT things have to be moving way before the parts are in the customers plant.

For example:

1. Milk runs last approx 5 – 7 days. If a storm disrupts the truck then you go into your stock and ……
2. UPS (or best way) the parts to the customer…why do we have those parts….
3. per P.O. (or supplier manual) you must have 30 % above monthly requirements on your shelf.

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
cncmarine said:
Contingency plans!!!!!

No answer????????? You always have an answer in the automotive industry.

First of all to have JIT things have to be moving way before the parts are in the customers plant.

For example:

1. Milk runs last approx 5 – 7 days. If a storm disrupts the truck then you go into your stock and ……
2. UPS (or best way) the parts to the customer…why do we have those parts….
3. per P.O. (or supplier manual) you must have 30 % above monthly requirements on your shelf.

I've been involved in the "effort" for over 15 years. . . there IS inventory. . . somewhere. . . it may not be at the customer assembly line.

No Polyana's here gang! . . . and this ain't Kansas either Dorothy. . .

I once spoke at professional societies on SPC's role in JIT. . . as one reference, I used a little red book titled, "Unexpected Japan." I do not remember who the author was, but I found it at the local library. I would suggest all Cover's read the book. It is relevant to this thread, and I think can provide some of the behind-the-scene issues not usually advertised.

Last edited:
W

WALLACE

I'm interested in the little red book.
What's the ISNB #?
Wallace.

The Taz!

Quite Involved in Discussions
Wallace,

That was 15 yrs ago that I did that schtick. . .

I searched it out at the local library as I said. . . I think that you would be able to find it through a simple search. . .sorry I can't be of more help to you . . .

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
The Taz! said:
That's the one Dave. . . and a 4 1/2 to 5 start rating too. . .
From the listing in Amazon, it would appear the book is out of print (used copies are the only ones listed - "new" is essentally the same as "uncirculated coin" - you buy from owner, not publisher or coin mint.) The original publisher no longer carries it as a catalog item. Nor does it have any info on its web stie for either of authors.

Here's a resource to find it in your local library:
http://worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/4f93390127ebef70a19afeb4da09e526.html

Go to the home site http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/pilot/default.htm to see how the whole program works.

Top Bottom