The Pareto Principle - Organizational Change

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
An excerpt from the above link:
This is the seventh in a twenty-two part series by Daniel Tocchini on producing organizational transformation. We will be sending you a newsletter installment to this series each week.

The Pareto Principle (20/80) - A Further Refinement

What sort of reaction to any change can you expect? How much resistance is predictable?

Let's think through a typical scenario. The Pareto Principle states that a small number of causes are responsible for a large percentage of the effect-usually a 20 percent to 80 percent ratio (20/80). Studies have shown that it is possible to further refine the 80% into a 50/30 division. Thus 20/80 becomes 20/50/30. These three divisions represent the three broad responses of the people in your organization to a change initiative.

Twenty percent of any group of people will be predisposed to the change that is proposed. They will clearly advocate the value and purpose of the change once it has been announced, if it has any merit or has been presented with clarity. They will be the "drivers" of the programs, strategies or events that compose the structure of the change.

Another fifty percent of your organization will be "fence sitters." They will say or act in a way that they identify themselves as "neutral" with their support to any change. Their language will indicate that they are attempting to figure out which way to lean. They adopt a "wait and see attitude." The 50% are those who are cautious about risking what is working unless they can clearly see that the changes proposed are truly beneficial in ways that they value. Knowing this condition exists enables you to investigate the concerns that most powerfully impact the fence sitting populace and address those concerns in the education process.

The remaining thirty percent are the ones who will be resisting, both actively and passively. They are the "levelers," seeking to prevent the change from occurring.

The levelers make the most noise and can absorb the most time, energy and resources.

It is important to listen to those who resist for whatever reason. However, be prudent about the time and energy being invested in listening to them and the sincerity of the complaint being voiced. How much to listen is a fine line to walk. It requires diligence. One must be able to identify the interests of the party and the relevance of the complaint as well as the appropriateness of the timing. What is the complaint about? Does it have to do with what the project is about? Could it contribute to the change initiative? Is this the time to talk about it? Is this the place to talk about it? Should it be discussed in private or with a team? Would talking about it be better served at another time? These are distinctions to identify that will help you decide where or when to listen and also give you a logical response to communicate to the person bringing the complaint.

Neglecting feedback or legitimate complaints is dangerous because you can loose good people, miss out on necessary changes and eventually sabotage the change effort as well.

Over indulgence in the leveler's agenda results in neglect of the advocates who deserve the resources and attention to accomplish that to which they have committed themselves. The overindulgence of levelers results in the advocates feeling as if they have been taken for granted and it gives a higher profile to complaints. A higher profile for complaints helps the levelers persuade the fence sitters to support the resistance. Romancing the levelers proves to be a distraction. You can put the change effort on hold and attempt to enroll them. But ask yourself how long will it take? And, is it essential? Is it really ethical?

What you are after is the difference the desired results will produce in your community, business or organization, rather than getting people to feel happy about what's going on. It is a dangerous presumption to think you must have buy in from 100% of the people in any organization before moving on with your vision.

For a large percentage of people the buy-in will come later, if at all. Many people won't buy in until after the results are in which prove that the change was beneficial. Most of the time it requires a willingness to let squeaky wheels squeak to successfully serve the rest of the organization. Save your grease for the quieter wheels that are actually carrying the load!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Not having read the entire series of articles, I hope there is a point in the series where the author talks about the techniques in Change Management where the first step in Change is not getting buy-in on the new method, but getting uniform [always some holdouts] agreement the current method NEEDS change. From that point of igniting and fueling dissatisfaction with the current system, it is easy to identify the fence sitters and don't want to folk and "inveigle" them into identifying something [anything] wrong with the current system and using that as a lever to move them into a Change with less resistance than might otherwise be encountered.

Obviously, the Change Agent knows where he is headed, but it doesn't always pay to show ALL your cards before the action begins.

If there is no dissatisfaction with the current system, we might well ask, "Why change?"

Q

qualitytrec

Wes,
I have not read all of his articles yet either but if you wish here are the ones I have received so far and you can probably see the logical sequece to get the rest if you are interested.
Producing Organizational Transformation:
Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

etc...

For those who do not know, Daniel Tocchini is a business consultant for some big TV conglomerates, businesses and church groups. Alot of his stuff is concidered controversial and my posting the above is for information only. I just want you to know that I do not advocate nor endorse all (or even most) of his positions but find some of his concepts interesting. Due to his training seminars he has a broad market that he comes in contact with it is interesting to see how he integrates different fields and concepts.

Mark

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Curious! I recall being involved in a series of posts about an article where the author had used the metaphor of Moses and the 12 spies, but had misinterpreted the accepted view of the incident and put his own spin on the feelings and motivations of the spies and of Moses. I do not recall Tocchini as one of the names in that old series.

J

Jim Howe

Interesting comments. In my latest readings on Lean they call the resister's "Cement Heads". There solution is to fire them. Don't know about that but I am still reading!

B

Bill Pflanz

Wes,

Didn't we have a discussion over on the ASQ board about the Moses metaphor earlier in the year? I remember it getting into a discussion about how to interpret the bible as much as about quality.

Bill Pflanz

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Bill Pflanz said:
Wes,

Didn't we have a discussion over on the ASQ board about the Moses metaphor earlier in the year? I remember it getting into a discussion about how to interpret the bible as much as about quality.

Bill Pflanz
Yes! Old Boards (archived on ASQ.org) in Quality Progress Forum - several threads. It took your trigger "ASQ Board" to bring it all flooding back.

Turns out a lot of writers are "derivative" if not downright plagiaristic.

Off topic::topic: When the "contrarian" labeled us as the "gang," I decided to wear the appellation as a badge of honor. The best part is the way others pick it up that way, too. The Floridian must be fuming!

I'm hoping the "powers that be" pick up your suggestion about inclusion in the conference call.

Q

qualitytrec

when you say "they" are you speaking of Daniel and his group or someone else. I know Daniel tends to be very eclectic with his approach to life. His teachings integrate Christianity, and eastern beliefs with business models and the human potential movements.
I read what he writes more to form rebuttals than to learn . even as I reflect on the Pareto Principle Newsletter that I started this thread with I see issues with it. 20% of causes produce 80% of the effect does not translate into Tocchini's 20/50/30 breakdown in my mind. Maybe my cold meds are still befuddeling me but does anyone else see this, or can you explain what I am not seeing.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom