The Quality Audit Handbook - ASQ Quality Audit Division

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Book review by Wallace Tait.
Book reviewed THE QUALITY AUDIT HANDBOOK (second edition)
Book editing director J. P. Russell.
Book published by ASQ quality press Milwaukee, Wisconsin

The quality audit handbook (second edition) is a progression of the first edition from ASQ, The first edition of this book was suggested to me by a lecturer at a college I attended in 1998 regarding getting acquainted with the ASQ body of knowledge (BOK), this book is also very popular with many of my colleagues in the UK.

I found the first edition to be invaluable to me regarding getting a proper and foundational understanding of auditing principles that are interpreted by the ASQ, BOK.

This book is definitely for the ASQ enthusiast who wishes to apply for and attempt the ASQ, CQA designation testing, I found the second edition to be a little more than the first edition regarding additional information for the auditor who wishes to be informed of the latest BOK, the text of this book is aligned with the BOK for easy cross- referencing.

There are seven parts or sections to this book wit information relating to; Ethics, Audit preparation, Audit performance, Audit reporting, Corrective action follow-up and closure, Audit program management and Audit sampling found in the Appendix section.

I was rather disappointed with the absence of any mention of the ISO 9001 2k standard changes to the 1994 version, this book makes reference only to the 1994 standard and, gives me the impression that a third edition may be on the way soon asking many ASQ seekers to buy the book in the third edition, this edition does indeed give a prospective quality auditor all of the basic auditing knowledge to be able to have part of the BOK information required by the ASQ, CQA designation.

Wallace Tait.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Templates for software development quality audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
GStough Have You Had to Write a NC Against a Quality Manual in a Supplier Audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
C IATF Cl. 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit - CQI-23 Molding System Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Internal Audit not done for Quality Department Internal Auditing 11
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
V Data Quality and Data Integrity - Audit Trail - Part 11 - WHO - FDA - MHRA - PDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
F Quality Audit and Internal Control Audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
L Quality Representative and I dont know how to Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Can our Supplier's Quality Mgr. conduct Supplier Audit on behalf of manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Quality Audit Form to Veriify Implemented Countermeasures wanted Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
S Internal Quality Audit Tracking Sheet with Auto Report Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
M Internal Quality Audit for Maintenance Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Quality Objective related Surveillance Audit Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A What documents would an FDA auditor want to see in an FDA Audit of Quality System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
L How to conduct a Quality Audit based on ASME BPVC VIII-1 requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S Root Cause - Left 5.6.2 paragraph (f) out of Quality Manual during Stage 1 Audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
A Risk Based Internal Quality Audit Scheduling and Planning Internal Auditing 2
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
A Quality Objectives 5.4.1 - KPI SOP - ISO 13485 Audit Observations EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Can I do Quality System Audit instead of Procedure Audit in this scenario? Internal Auditing 9
C Scope in Quality Manual vs. Certification Audit Application Scope AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
M Implementing an AS9100 Quality System - Stage 1 Audit for AS9100 is Oct 2012 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
M Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit Internal Auditing 9
E FDA Quality Systems and DAMAS (Dental Appliance Manufacturers Audit Scheme) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Layered Audit Checklist with focus on daily quality General Auditing Discussions 3
C 9001 Corporate Quality Audit - Yearly Audit on the Individual Business Units General Auditing Discussions 4
V Report Format for a Quality Assurance Audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B ISO/TS 16949:2009 Quality Manual Requirements - Audit Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System? Internal Auditing 8
Q How to Audit the Client Quality System - Product Failure caused by no Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
michellemmm Software Product Development Quality Assurance (PDQA) Audit Checklists Software Quality Assurance 12
A Can I Audit Quality Procedures if I come from the Quality Department Internal Auditing 5
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
G Quality Audit on Designers and their Processes and Practices General Auditing Discussions 2
S Quality Auditing System - Audit Plan per guidance from ISO 19011 Internal Auditing 8
A Quality Audit Advice - Past Due Device Calibrations due to Cal Supplier Issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
9 Internal Audit vs. Internal Quality Audit - What is the difference Internal Auditing 23
R ISO 9001 Internal Quality Audit by Consultants (External agency) Internal Auditing 5
V Internal Quality Audit Focuses Internal Auditing 8
F Customer Quality Audit Question - Giving the auditor a "guided" tour General Auditing Discussions 21
A Check list audit quality of telecom's networks(2g,3g,ip ,adsl...). Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
S Motivation for IQA (Internal Quality Audit) Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A How to Audit the Quality Department (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 15
A Supplier Quality Process Audit Rev5.0 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
B Value adding for Internal Quality Audit training General Auditing Discussions 18
V Internal Quality Audit - Themes for auditing the company QMS Internal Auditing 1
R Audit N/C - Quality Policy too generic? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7