The Red Bead Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gszekely

The red nead experiment

Hi all! I'm a new on this forum, trying to get familiar with the past topics first.
I like this sentence, and it's so simple:
Toyota view:
“We get brilliant results from average people managing brilliant processes.
We observe that our competitors often get average (orworse) results from brilliant people managing broken processes.”
all !
In my opinion, it can be the conclusion of the RBE.
It's enough for first time posting. Very good forum, and professionals. Thanks for it.
Gyorgy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Lori Beeler

47 Degrees? No way!!

Well, there ya go! That's got to be the reason I failed miserably!!
It was still fun.
Lori Beeler

T

tammye

Dismissed!

It's amazing that something that is so basic such as the red bead experiment could teach so much. It would be interesting to see this done to a group of managers. Like some of my classmates, my agency used to use a merit award form of rewards to certain people who were just doing their job! Of course now the state auditors have deemed it gifting of public funds, so we don't do anything. Our last Mayor was big on certificates and it seemed I was doing one for every little thing to the point of being silly. It is still the big joke when someone does something routine that we'll say, 'let me make them a certificate!'. Hmmmm. Speaking of...maybe I should make one to reward our top worker?:D

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
tammye said:
It's amazing that something that is so basic such as the red bead experiment could teach so much. It would be interesting to see this done to a group of managers. Like some of my classmates, my agency used to use a merit award form of rewards to certain people who were just doing their job! Of course now the state auditors have deemed it gifting of public funds, so we don't do anything. Our last Mayor was big on certificates and it seemed I was doing one for every little thing to the point of being silly. It is still the big joke when someone does something routine that we'll say, 'let me make them a certificate!'. Hmmmm. Speaking of...maybe I should make one to reward our top worker?:D
I have an assortment of different colored stars to stick on to the certificates, so you can further classify "teacher's pets" in order of rank! Note the gold stars are twice as big as the other colors.:biglaugh:

M

Mike Moran

You are spot on. The RBE was very simple and yet it sent a powerful message. Believe me, I wanted the candy bar and the $20 offered for only having three beads...What a scam :). I don't think most managers can even see it that way.
The quote from the first post about Toyota is the best yet.

I am thinking of having a RBE at my workplace with my management....nothing but fear stopping me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N How can I do the Red Bead Experiment? Hotel Industry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P Quality Games and Deming's Red Bead Experiment Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 18
Steve Prevette Red Bead Video on YouTube Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 6
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Harmonised RED Standard ETSI EN 440 - Which Version? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
P Are red non-conformance bins required anywhere in the ISO or IATF standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
O EMC testing under RED and IEC 60601-1-2 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Looking for RED ESD Bags that preferably say NON-CONFORMING Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R AS9102 - Are FAIs against a Customer Red-Lined Drawings Allowed? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
R IEC 60601-1 4th Edition - Is a "Red-line" version available? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Marc Definition RED = Radio Equipment Directive Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Y Can manufacturer select AR for MDD different from AR for RED? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S ISO 9001 Audit Checklist - Red, Yellow and Green status Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
W Red Ballooning Stamp for Adobe Acrobat Files Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Shewhart Control Chart for SPC In Excel - Explain the yellow and red marked column Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Red Plague Control Plan (RPCP) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Douglas E. Purdy Where to buy Little Red Arrow Stickers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
V Where to find Red/White Rust Rating Requirements? APQP and PPAP 4
T Red Rabbits with Multiple Failure Modes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T End of Line Testers - When to use Red Rabbits? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T Red Metric on a Customer Scorecard is a Major Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
Randy Getting Red X 's in a box instead of pictures - I need some information.... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
R 5S Red Tag and ISO Procedure Red Tag - Tag Color Conflict Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Q Red Stamped Printed Paper vs. Electronic Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
RoxaneB Interviews and Slaloming through the Red Flags Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Problem Solving Methodology Help - Shainin/Red X Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
T Stamping Original Paper Document 'Record Copy' in Red Ink - Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
U Form and Procedure for Red Tag in 5S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
R Red LED vs. White Light Inspection Lamp Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
B Should there be a Red Tag Time Limit, in regards to 5S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
Ajit Basrur FDA Warns Consumers Nationwide Not to Eat Certain Types of Raw Red Tomatoes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Steve Prevette Red Beads in Ohio on May 21 - Kitty Hawk Chapter of the ASSE in Kettering Ohio ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
J Where to draw the line with Red Lining? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
J The Red Plague - Improper copper wire coating process causes oxidation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E GM's RED X - Supposed to be a simple tool to find Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 23
S Products affected with Sudan I ( Sudan Red ) World News 0
S Standardization of Problem Solving - 6 Sigma, Red-X, 8D, VA/VE, PDCA, RCA, C&E Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
apestate Writing on Customer Engineering Drawings - Red Lining? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
W Nonconformance ID tags - Seeking universal non-conforming Red Tag - Approx. 4" x 6" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Reject Tags - red tag is a form and needs to have a part number and revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
D Red, Yellow, and Green and QS9000 Suppliers - Visual evaluation of the status QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
S Red tag or not to Red tag... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Glass Bead Blast Cleaning Spec TT-C-490 Rev D Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
N 3 factor - 3 level experiment with DoE and Minitab Using Minitab Software 10
T Comparative Design of Experiment to pick better Trimming Blade Supplier Six Sigma 5
T Conduct a fractional factorial 2^13-5 experiment with Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
F Resolution III Factorial Design for a Screening Experiment Six Sigma 2