The Role of the Process Audit in ISO 9000 Internal Audits

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Internal Audit Vs. Process Audit

We haven't perform an internal audit for the year and now, I'm trying to consider our process audit in exchange with the planned internal audit. Can we consider process audit as an internal audit since" in internal audit to determine that the QMS conforms to the planned arrangements (7.1),...and is effectively implemented and maintained" and process audit has an almost same meaning conform, effectively implemented and maintained? :confused: We perform process audit daily and randomly audit every department according the requirements of the customer and QMS.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Raffy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tim Douty

Internal Audit vs. Process Audit

We have just been ISO 9001:2000 Certified - so I may be going out on a limb here, but a similar question came up about our auditing procedure. If it is stated in your procedure that either is appropriate, then you can state it. However, if your procedure does not address the matter - you may have a nonconformance.
Does that make sense to you?

C

Craig H.

HI

The question here is what are you auditing against.

For a process audit, you would be looking at the requirements of a specific process and the process' performance against these requirements.

For an internal ISO 9001 audit, you would be looking at the Quality Management System versus the standard.

They may look similar, but the aim is different. That said, in practice, I would say that many internal ISO audits end up being a hybrid of the 2 types...

Hope this helps

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

We just passed our "16949" surveillance audit and one of the "minor" findings was that our internal audits had to include the "Product realization" process (APQP). All we had been doing were "process" and "product" (dock) audits, also (we contract for the "System" audits).

Bill

Craig H. said:

---X---

They may look similar, but the aim is different. That said, in practice, I would say that many internal ISO audits end up being a hybrid of the 2 types...

Hope this helps
I agree. That's usually the case.

/Claes

D
Is it safe to assume that product audits in TS2 are the same as dock or final inspections - inprocess inspections?

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Dawn asked:
Is it safe to assume that product audits in TS2 are the same as dock or final inspections - inprocess inspections?
Yes (per our registrar anyway)

Bill

M

Mainer

Just wanted to add my two cents as this is a current topic of discussion for our team. I have found that senior management's perception of the internal compliance audit is that of a non value add activity. Over the past 8 - 12 months I have shifted our internal audit focus to business objectives and then translate the applicable ISO clause appropriate to the review. What I am beginning to see is a cliff at the end of the year where I will have to specificly target many clauses that did not come up during the year's review. I am still working on this model and hope to strike a more meaningfull balance moving forward.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Tim,
Actually, it doesn't says on our spec and I've been thinking of that for days now and I would like to write a revision on our spec telling that a process audit can be an internal audit since we were audited by customers(this customers audits us on different Quality System, One in QS9000, One is ISO9001:2000 and the last one is based on SAC, which means Semiconductor Assembly Council; wherein this questions derived from different quality system namely, ISO9001:2000, ISO9004, TS16949:2002), Yes, they audit us with regards to process but some of the questions were derived from those quality systems. Our GM said that since we were been audited by different customers which is based on ISO, we could consider it....:confused:

Our Audits shows an Affirmative Result, there could be non-compliance, but we ensure that we track those issues to closure.

Hi Craig,
"They may look similar, but the aim is different. That said, in practice, I would say that many internal ISO audits end up being a hybrid of the 2 types... "
I agree with you on here, however, I was caught up again, we haven't have the planned internal audit programme in which the ISO is requiring and I need to make a decision in which how am I gonna document the process that we were been audited by our customers based on different quality system and I'm trying to have it resolve before the next ISO audit which would also happen this month and in my perception, since we didn't come up with an internal audit programme for the year, I would suggest that documenting all customer audit in exchange with the traditional internal audit :)

Hi Mainer,
"I have found that senior management's perception of the internal compliance audit is that of a non value add activity. "

I agree with this, because it was also the same response I got from our GM, is that "Why do I have to perform an Internal Audit, since our customer audit us against three different quality system? He says that it is redundant to conduct another audit and it hurts :frust: when your boss says that its a "Waste of Money" and "Time" Plus the "Effort" . We do make corrective actions for this audit done by our customer.

The question comes out now, "Can we show the audit to the ISO? We track all nonc-ompliance and ensure that all Open Items are closed. And we have documents to show that we did adjustments on our specs. The only problem that I'm dealing with is "How am I gonna include this on my specs? Can I write a provision saying that Customer Audit can be exchanged to Internal Audit as long as the audit they conduct is based on ISO standards? :confused: Can we also include that Internal Audit can be done based on business opportunities? :bigwave:

Hi Jim,
Speaking of continual improvement, can our process audit be part of the continual improvement? For example, we didn't conduct an internal audit on an area, for the sake of conversation its on Production Department, we are not going to conduct an internal audit on this area because, we randomly check their activities, systems, etc through out process audit and this audit is also track and follow-up to closure. How am I going to document this? Or as part of continual improvement? :confused:

Thanks to everyone.
Best regards,
Raffy

M

M Greenaway

Jim

You cannot confirm compliance to ISO9001 from a desktop review of documents, particularly in this day and age of ISO9001:2000 where documentation has been somewhat relegated in significance, hence possibly wont be there.

Even in the days of the 1994 standard where we were told to have procedures the standard not only said to create them, but to implement and maintain them. How could we confirm compliance to implementation and maintenance from a desktop ?

Also internal audits need to cover the system, that is the interrelationship of processes - not just processes themselves.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Role of Breast Tissue Expander in Breast Reconstruction process. Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
S Process Owner role in Problem Investigation/Corrective Action Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Defining Quality Assurance's Role in R&D (Product and Process Development) Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
M PFMEA (Process FMEA - Potential Causes and Failure) - Operator's Role FMEA and Control Plans 11
S Role of a Quality Engineer in APQP process APQP and PPAP 11
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T New role Quality Manager IATF 16949, new company, advise how to get started IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna Informational The role of the quality professional - an interesting video by CQI Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A Audit purpose - case study - What is the role of SQE in such case? General Auditing Discussions 3
M Informational Webinar: The role of the TGA in digital health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
H Clinical investigation - Role of Notified Body (NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 21
Edward Reesor Role of increased regulatory costs in increasing risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
supadrai Forced into Regulatory Affairs Role - Where do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Kronos147 Quality Manager's Role in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
D Document approvers by role or by name Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Role of Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K New Quality Manager Role Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 105
G Quality/Regulatory role in Automotive industry Career and Occupation Discussions 1
K What is Quality's and Engineering's role within FAI's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Role of Contract Manufacturer - MDRs (Medical Device Reporting) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
R Role of Product Development in OSHAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
V Interviews - How to differentiate your deliverable/role for potentially being hired Career and Occupation Discussions 9
N Role of Quality Function in Approving Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K The Role of Management and Human Resources Training Courses Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D Designing a Training Course called "Role of the Laboratory Quality Manager" Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
S What is the role of "Reviewer" and "Approver" in the preparation of procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Person in charge's role or responsibility in ISMS? ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
sagai Role and Use of Non QMS Standards and Guidances in the Medical Industry 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
L QMS for Service Company - Top Management wants to take the role of QMR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
K Equivalent role of QP (Qualified Person) in FDA Regulations Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
O Which role plays Inverse cdf of a Standard Normal Distribution in Formula for Z-Bench Using Minitab Software 8
R Role of Qualified Person (QP) in Contract Manufacturing Pharma Business Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
V Best way to represent "Role Clarity" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C At what stage does Design Control play a role in Medical Device Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K The role of mid level managers in a Quality System Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P Role of Quality within an Organization Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Quality Engineer's Role in Tracking MRT Metrics & PDT Metrics Customer Complaints 2
P Quality Engineer's Role in Cost Management (including UMC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C Role and Benefits of PIC/S (Pharmaceutical Inspection Cooperation Scheme) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D QA's Role in the Overall Picture of the Organization and in Day to Day Activities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10