The Status of ROHS for Medical Devices - April 2019

DRA

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

Can any one resolve my queries as below
1. Whether ROHS 2 is made obsolete.​
2. Whether ROHS 3 got released​
3. Whether all the requirements of ROHs 1 & 2 or incorporate in ROHs 3?​
4. As a medical device manufacturer which ROHS rev I need to show compliance against EU MDR?​
need clarification on above questions

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi,

Can any one resolve my queries as below
1. Whether ROHS 2 is made obsolete.​
2. Whether ROHS 3 got released​
3. Whether all the requirements of ROHs 1 & 2 or incorporate in ROHs 3?​
4. As a medical device manufacturer which ROHS rev I need to show compliance against EU MDR?​
need clarification on above questions
1. "RoHS 2" (2011/65 or RoHS recast) is not made obsolete. "RoHS 3" (2015/863) is an amendment to Annex II of 2011/65.
2. 2015/863 was published in 2015 and is coming into force in July 2019. However, for medical devices the four additional restrictions will only apply from July 2021.
3. Refer to my answer 1 above.
4. The MDR and RoHS (2011/65 as amended by 2015/863) are independent of each other and you need to comply with both.

RoHS: Additional restricted substances

Hi,

About the Medical devices, how does this relate to the new MDR? In " RoHS 2" directive they refer to Council Directive 93/42/EEC which will become obsolete after May 26, 2020. Within the MDR I don't see a reference to the current RoHS directive.

Can you explain me where to find this?

Thanks!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi,

About the Medical devices, how does this relate to the new MDR? In " RoHS 2" directive they refer to Council Directive 93/42/EEC which will become obsolete after May 26, 2020. Within the MDR I don't see a reference to the current RoHS directive.

Can you explain me where to find this?

Thanks!
I don't see where the problem is.
2011/65's references to 93/42/EEC are not not numerous and not substantial and I think you could safely treat them as redirected to 2017/745 (the MDR).
As above, both RoHS and medical devices regulation come under the "New Approach" (that covers CE marking) and are independent of each other - refer to the Blue Guide 2014.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Project Tracker - Something that shows the status of each project Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
M Status of Medical Device Regulations in UK Post-Brexit Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational TGA – Current status of breast implant products in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Informational Medtech Europe presentation – – Industry Perspective on the Implementation Status of the MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medtech Europe – Open letter to the European Commission on the implementation and readiness status of the new Medical Device Regulation (MDR) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Visually impacting graphics for Nonconformance status metrics for Management Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q What is the ISO 9001:2008 certificate status after 15 Sep 2018? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
S Checking status of Medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Q SAI Global Status as of July 2018 Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
S Status products when/if the QMS ceases to function? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Financial status of critical vendor IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
H IS there any database for list of CE marked Medical devices and there current status EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Marc The Voynich Manuscript - Status as of January 2018 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M Measurement Equipment - Identification of Calibration Status General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
B Calibration Status of Gauges for Training Only ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Determining the Status and Importance of the Processes and Areas to be Audited Internal Auditing 7
T EASA TAG Block 11 Status/Work issue Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Sidney Vianna First AS9100:2016 certificate issued, March 2017 - Status of Transition Sept. 2018 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 117
E Status of proposed changes to Medical Device Directive EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S ISO 9001 Audit Checklist - Red, Yellow and Green status Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
A Product status has changed from "tested" to "listed" in the EU Pharmacopoeia EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Reagent Status Identification - 7.4.3 Verification of Purchased Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Need suggestion on Software or App for Tracking Quality Plan Status Software Quality Assurance 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
F Checking Gages In and Out and Verifying Calibration Status Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
R AS9100:2016 Rev. D - Status and Information - May 2014 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
S Suspension Status - Rules 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Pancho "IRS" Request for recertification of foreign status [SCAM] After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
L Status of Certificate of Free Sale Transfer to MHRA - 1 April 2014 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
K 7.6 c) c) Have Identification in order to determine Calibration Status Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
M Private Label CLIA Waived Status 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Revision Status Identified only in Sharepoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R KPI Review Meetings never discusses previous meeting action plan status Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
Marc Current Status on TS 16969 Registration Restrictions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Medical Device Company US Importer/Distributer Status 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B ISO 9001:2015 Draft - Status ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 151
L How to change the status of "Initial Importer" on the FURLS site US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Understanding FDA rules regarding MDDS Status and Clinical Trials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B How many days after an interview should I follow up on the status of the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Buckyb AS9100C Clause 7.4.1 Appoved Supplier "Conditional" Status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
S Change and Revision Status Identification for a Document ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
BradM Miner hits Silver Status Covegratulations 18
M Practical Guidance on TS 16949 Clause 7.5.3 - Product Status Identification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Stijloor US Airways Status Upgrades Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5