The 'Thanks' button and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems

If possible, should "thanks" contribute to Karma?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: 'Thanks' button system and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems Disconnected

That's all that really matters. :agree1: The Karma and Thanks counters shouldn't be relied upon as indicators of the overall quality of anyone's contributions.
Very true! And a "pat on the back" is welcomed by most I believe.

Stijloor.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Now... in the end, the decision is certainly Marc's to make. Too, as he has pointed out, versions of the software may too dictate what is linked to the "thanks" button.

Since Marc invited us to, I thought at least each Cover should be able to voice their feelings.

NOTE: I did not make this a public poll, so no one should know how you vote.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think that the "Thanks' and 'give Karma' help to communicate the community of the cove. Since this is a site where people are here to help each other, community is an important aspect. Giving 'Thanks' is just a pat on the back for that well thought out comment or witty response. That being said if the 'Thanks' results in a minor increase in karma I guess I'd be all for it. People like to give thanks, people should be giving thanks, and if this encourages people to give thanks then it's something to be encouraged! If the old system was 10 pts. per thanks and people think it will dilute the roles, then address it. Say, 1 point for giving thanks, and 3-5 points for receiving it. That way if someone Karma looks inflated (Ooohh! Scary!:sarcasm:) you know it by the inordinate amount of thanks on their profile.
As far as Karma goes, I think that's a different matter. I don't believe most people even use karma and AS part of that sense of community I believe everyone should be getting more. You pose that question, and 3 or 4 or 5 or 27 people give you answers that help you out in your job, or saves your butt, just as if they were some kind of slow, outside consultant, you should be giving Karma not thanks. The thing is, is that the 'Thanks' button is so prominant and the Karma button is only that little symbol in the corner for those who know what it means. Perhaps the 'Thanks' button could be wired in to the Karma button so that everytime you gave thanks, you would have the opportunity to give karma or not. It would be rare anyway to wanna give Karma without giving 'Thanks'. That's my take on it.
I've just finished my 1st year as a paid Premium Member in the Cove. As long as I'm in Quality, I'll never go back, and who knows, even if I leave quality I might stay here. My thanks to Marc and this forum, all of its members and Mods for the great answers, topics, learning opportunities and friendly, lively discussion over the past 12 months. You Gals & Guys have been great. If I could figure out how to give you all Karma I would. I will definitely be paying much more attention to it when I say thanks.

Briz

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
Admittedly, I miss the thanks counter. Not to inflate my ego, but it is a good guide to what people have found to be adequate or helpful answers. As it is now I feel a little lost because there is no indication of what posts have been appreciated and what posts have not.

harry

Super Moderator
Admittedly, I miss the thanks counter. Not to inflate my ego, but it is a good guide to what people have found to be adequate or helpful answers. As it is now I feel a little lost because there is no indication of what posts have been appreciated and what posts have not.
Go to your own 'public profile' and click on 'find all thanked post by (you)'. All the thanked post are listed there. Of course, these infos are not that readily available as previously.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Marc,

Yes, this says about "Thanks Given to others" but what about "Thanks Given By Others"

Apart from the numbers highlighted in your post, is it possible to see which person Thanked as was seeen very clearly before ?

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Marc,

Yes, this says about "Thanks Given to others" but what about "Thanks Given By Others"

Apart from the numbers highlighted in your post, is it possible to see which person Thanked as was seeen very clearly before ?
It doesn't use the word 'by', but look where it says "Thanked <number> Times in <number> Posts"

You can also find every post you made that someone thanked you for --> UserCP --> "Find All Thanked Posts by <your name>"

Its a lot like Karma, but it doesn't assign a complex computed value to each 'Thanks'. A 'Thanks' is a Thanks, so it's a one-for one situation.

B

Benjamin28

I believe he's referring to the section under user CP where you would normally have a list of 50 or so lines that show what post you were thanked on and by whom. It was a nice feature that no longer seems to actively update.

Top Bottom