The 'Thanks' button and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems

If possible, should "thanks" contribute to Karma?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I believe he's referring to the section under user CP where you would normally have a list of 50 or so lines that show what post you were thanked on and by whom. It was a nice feature that no longer seems to actively update.
Yes. That is correct. When we had it set to give 10 points of Karma each time someone gave Thanks, it updated the Karma 'log' in the userCP because it was adding to Karma making it a Karma 'event' (as far as the software and the database are concerned).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hey.... look what I dug up from the Cove Archives!!:lmao:

This is what happens when you worry too much about your # of thanks, Karma, reputation, # of posts, more Karma......

You gotta click on it!!

Attachments

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Hey.... look what I dug up from the Cove Archives!!:lmao:

This is what happens when you worry too much about your # of thanks, Karma, reputation, # of posts, more Karma......

You gotta click on it!!
Wow, I vaguely remember posting that. When was that, about 5 years ago? :notme:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Here is the 'Latest' on Karma and the Green Dots:

NOTES:
Reputation = Karma
Negative Karma (aka Reputation) is disabled on this forum.

Karma FAQ updated.

I

Inge Stroud

I am going to use my first post to say thanks. I have read some extremely interesting posts for the last three or so hours in this forum on everything like lean manufacturing, process mapping, QMS, 5S (we added a S for Safety) and Standard Work. We utilize all these things and then some at my work.

I do engineering document control in a manufacturing company and was just assigned to the engineering team to get our processes "robust" for ACE Silver assessment. I just hope I don't forget how to get back here....I will need help, I am just not sure what help I will need yet.

:thanx: again for the great information.
Inge

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I am going to use my first post to say thanks. I have read some extremely interesting posts for the last three or so hours in this forum on everything like lean manufacturing, process mapping, QMS, 5S (we added a S for Safety) and Standard Work. We utilize all these things and then some at my work.

I do engineering document control in a manufacturing company and was just assigned to the engineering team to get our processes "robust" for ACE Silver assessment. I just hope I don't forget how to get back here....I will need help, I am just not sure what help I will need yet.

:thanx: again for the great information.
Inge
Welcome, Inge. :bigwave: This place is the best resource in the world for general information on quality in business and manufacturing, and there are always knowledgeable people here who are eager to help. As far as finding your way back is concerned, just bookmark the site. If you're using Internet Explorer, click on the "Favorites" button on the top of the screen and then "Add to Favorites." Using Firefox, it's the same procedure only it's called "Bookmarks." And of course, you can always Google your way back here.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Re: What's Up with Rep (Reputation - aka Karma) Power?

I'm posting this because of a number of complaints.

A while back the super moderators discussed Karma and Thanks (actually there are several threads in the Super Moderators forum on the subject). At one time they were linked - If someone Thanked you, you got 5 Karma points (number of points is a variable setting). OTOH, Giving Karma did not affect the number of 'Thanks'. The decision to decouple them was made by majority.

As most of you should know from the 'Notice' I'm in Fulton, NY this week. I'm real busy so I don't have time to go into details right now. I'll try to this weekend if one or more of the moderators doesn't jump in and explain. Unfortunately I think all the discussions were in threads in the super moderator's forum.

If you want it changed back, you better speak up now so a consensus can be reached.

Oops - Gotta go. People are coming back from a break...

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Marc's post is copied from another thread.

I have opened the poll up for those wanting to vote on this.

From memory....

It was uncoupled with the hopes that if someone wanted to give someone real Kudos, they would use the Karma button. Karma allows for an explanation, thus possibly strengthening the value of the kudo.

The thanks button is there to serve the useful purpose of a quick, thanks, I agree, nice post, etc. That way, one can feel a little more free to give a thanks, without seeming like you're giving every living thing more Karma.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
That pretty well sums it up. The old setting was 5 Karma points per Thanks. Note that eveyone starts out with 10 Karma points.

And my Thanks to Brad for finding and resurrecting this thread.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Thanks for the help Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Interesting Discussion We have food safety laws thanks to 19th century “poison squad” Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
bobdoering Thanks to those that tried to fill the void Covegratulations 2
T Special Thanks to Everyone in this Forum! AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
S Thanks from a newbie Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
A Thanks for your help in the Elsmar forum IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Wes Bucey Sucker Punch ("thanks for the free consulting, but no job for you!") Career and Occupation Discussions 8
H ISO 9001 - Thanks for the help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
harrysons Thanks to Elsmar Cove - Successful TS16949:2009 Certification Covegratulations 10
T Nissan acronym: THANKS? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G What is the proper Thanks Giving turkey sampling size? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
G VERY easy savory baked Thanks Giving party treat Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S ISO 9001: 2008 Certification Success - Thanks Covegratulations 9
J Back from Europe, no thanks to BA Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 12
A Recommended for AS9100B Certification! Thanks! AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Sidney Vianna Thanks Given to Others in Forum Posts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
M closed thanks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Successful Audit: Thanks for your help! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Changing the CNC program - Money Saving Idea - Thanks to all of you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Thanks Everyone Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
D Urgently need VDA6.3 guideline ! Thanks. VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
SteelMaiden Give Thanks - Thanksgiving Day in the US - November 2006 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
Wes Bucey Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give a little bit back Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 20
J Thanks To All Our Veterans Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
C Thanks for the help guys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J How to use the six sigma in supply chain? thanks Six Sigma 3
J What is difference between the goal of PPAP with APQP, thanks APQP and PPAP 4
Q Registration Audit done! Thanks for all your help! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
N Big Thanks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
M Thanks for the help with the usefull tips and guidance Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S We Made it to TS 16949 Certification - THANKS! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
Marc My Continuing Thanks to the Moderators, financial Contributors and the 'Regulars'! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
B Giant thanks to Marc and all the Covers! ISO Upgrade with Zero NCs! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Thanks,Marc Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
B IEC 60601-2-43 - Clause 203.6.103 - Physical button? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
H Secondary button cells (LIR2540) in medical products Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Standards for Emergency Button for a Dental Laser IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Excel Macros - "Button" on a form that executes a macro Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 8
Jim Wynne How to save money on type 394 button-cell batteries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
J PPAP - Same product, different color new PPAP? Small plastic button APQP and PPAP 3
J Button Test - Tactility Criteria Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
BradM Covegratulations to BevD - 15,000 Karma points and a silver star Covegratulations 15
Sidney Vianna Covegratulations to Ajit Basrur - 15,000 Karma points and a silver star Covegratulations 22